Long Reef

Burnsey

Great to see reports coming through of harbour blackfish. 

Despite the winter estuary run, there are still plenty around the ocean rocks.  Attached is a pic of 6 fish from a short session last weekend at Long Reef.  The bite was hot for a short period before the rising tide forced me to leave. 

On another recent session at Long Reef I caught a rabbit fish while targeting blackfish.  Eating quality wasn't great so I'll let the next one go. I'd never seen one before but read how they are venturing south with our warming water.  I've also read warnings about them - if you catch one watch out for their spikey fins which are venomous and inflict an intensely painful sting.  I've attached a pic to show what they look like - it's the fish at the bottom with the skinny tail that looks like a trevally. Sorry about the darkness - I hung around 'till I could no longer see my float!

Cheers

Keith

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3410.JPG

Nice Blackfish.

Rabbit fish have venomous spines so be careful with them, there is a few up at Long reef as well as Newport.

Entrance Bommie and around that area there's heaps.

Oh, also another common name for them is Black Trevally(no idea why) or Spinefoot and a few more.

Edited by Blackfish

13 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Oh, also another common name for them is Black Trevally(no idea why) or Spinefoot and a few more.

In QLD they call them "Happy moments"!

I saw a guy get stung by one he was cleaning and he nearly passed out with the pain so I'd recommend giving them a miss.

Phil

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, LuckyFil said:

In QLD they call them "Happy moments"!

I saw a guy get stung by one he was cleaning and he nearly passed out with the pain so I'd recommend giving them a miss.

Phil

apparently every bit as bad as a bullrout

Hi,

Used to fish Long Reef platform a lot. We'd go out to the high rock at the eastern extremity of the platform and fish back over the flats right through the high tide. Blackfish and bream come up to feed in the shallows, especially after dark.

Unless the swell was very big it was quite safe,

KB

11 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Hi,

Used to fish Long Reef platform a lot. We'd go out to the high rock at the eastern extremity of the platform and fish back over the flats right through the high tide. Blackfish and bream come up to feed in the shallows, especially after dark.

Unless the swell was very big it was quite safe,

KB

Thank so for the tip KB.  You must have balls of steel to fish out there at night on a high tide!

Nice catch,although my best blackfishing has been in winter off the rocks,havent noticed any decline in numbers during winter times and i would have to say winter is the best time off the rocks for Blackfish,anyway as long as we catch them :D Same goes for spinning for surface fish.

Edited by DMG

Nice feed of blackies Burnsy. Black trevally in NSW and yes Happy Moment in Qld. The prawn trawlers get a few in their nets. Remedies for them are quite numerous and funny. The most used is WD40 on the other side drink a bottle of you favourite spirit!