Port Stephens (got my revenge)

Scratchie

G'day raiders, 

Well, headed out this morning with my good mate "Dom the snapper whisperer". The forecast was moderate seas and predicted winds of 15-20 knots. That was going to stop us but thought it might be a bit bumpy. As we rounded the heads we were greeted to relatively calm conditions and pushed on to Broughton island all the while being mindful of the migrating whales. Hit the the sisters up first and first cast I was on to our target but was a throw back! We did a few drifts and I managed a nice pannie and a few more returns. As the sun rose the bite went with it but we were determined to find the fish! A few different drifts and Dom managed one for the bag! Time was getting on and we finally found a stack of bait and the casts begin. I feel a small tap and loaded up to what I thought was a small fish but then the run that followed was nothing short of awesome and we new we'd found them. Praying to stay connected we had to chase this bugger but I finally one and onboard comes a big fat healthy 80cm snaps!!! Yewwwwww

We reset the drift only a little wider and bang, I'm on again but this one hit it that hard my confidence was low on landing it as I could feel the teeth grinding the jig head. I played it out and Dom managed to net another one for me for a change. This one went 77cm and a nice healthy specimen. On removal of the jig it decinergrated and it had straighten the hook slightly! 

After that we managed a few more casts but after chasing a couple I think we spooked them! 

It was great to see my mate Dom taking photos of me for a change. Lol. Champion bloke, beautiful morning, gotta love Port Stephens! 

Tide: first hour of run out

Time: 11:00am

Gear:  shimano stradic 4000 20/20

Jig: 1/4 -3/0 with 5inch zman in coconut ice 

Thanks for reading,

cheers scratchie!!! IMG_0496.JPGIMG_0479.JPG

15 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Those are some great fish Scratchie well done !!! 

One of the perks of living in fishing heaven 365 days a year right !!? 

Yeah Sam, the only thing your at the mercy at is the weather! :) 

Gotta love snapper season!!! 

13 minutes ago, PST115hp said:

Cracking fish Scratchie, lucky to get 1 of them in by looks of the jig head.

Mate, the tt jigheads are the best you can get. He hit it that hard I'm surprised it didn't shatter on impact! 

Quality fish there Jeff , they would of hit like hopefully Jeff horn!

plenty of whales about down here too, squid and some stray Kings.... But definetly no snaps like that! 

Gotta get up to broughton again, special place!

keep em coming! 

Scratchie

Great pics of the fish - nothing like the colour of a big reddie straight out of the water. And even better to be 'catching' rather than 'netting'!!

I had a similar experience with the biggest red I've caught down the south coast (5kg) it was on fairly light line (20lb)  so I had to take my time and it was a long fight. By the time he was in the boat the jig head had been crunched several times (tooth dents in the lead) and the hook looked like barbed wire, so I was lucky to land him.

The plastics I use are similar to yours - Gulp 6" grub pattern in Pink Shine. The snapper seem to like them.

Congrats on some top fish

Fil 

Thanks all....it certainly a couple of fish I've been looking for! 

@LuckyFil- I only ever fish for snapper using 20lb braid and 20lb leader. If not lighter! In winter I find them a bit lethargic so I slow everything done! Long loops, lighter jigs and slower action! 

@Stapo sorry mate, didn't take a photo of last nights dinner but here's a fish burger I made today with the left overs. There was plenty of fillets to share between both families! Anyway, family fave is freshly crumbed snapper, chips and stir fry veg! 

IMG_0498.JPG

Nice fish, Jeff! Well done!

I'm currently on annual leave and have been attending to numerous jobs around the new house.  I've finally managed to make inroads into the clutter in the garage and have finally been granted a leave pass to go fishing! Woo hoo! Hope to get out from Wednesday.  Hit me up if youre keen!

Baz

9 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Nice fish, Jeff! Well done!

I'm currently on annual leave and have been attending to numerous jobs around the new house.  I've finally managed to make inroads into the clutter in the garage and have finally been granted a leave pass to go fishing! Woo hoo! Hope to get out from Wednesday.  Hit me up if youre keen!

Baz

Cheers baz! Wednesday sounds good, I'm off work! :) pm sent!