Limitations of Stacer 509 sea runner

Night raider

Nice work on getting all the safety gear mate, i actually cant believe there is people on this forum who actually recommend going into open ocean without having both items, they are there to save your life in case of emergency not just a casual thing for just in case........anyways your all sorted now to start venturing out further, provided you have all the other safety gear, good luck and hope that you never have to use any of the items:1fishing1::1fishing1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rozza_b said:

Nice work on getting all the safety gear mate, i actually cant believe there is people on this forum who actually recommend going into open ocean without having both items, they are there to save your life in case of emergency not just a casual thing for just in case........anyways your all sorted now to start venturing out further, provided you have all the other safety gear, good luck and hope that you never have to use any of the items:1fishing1::1fishing1:

Just read my way back through this thread and can't find anyone recommending heading into open ocean without the appropriate safety gear. 

ok so just to clarifiy i was meaning outside the heads which in my books is open ocean, a solid onshore blow in close can be pretty full on as im sure you know, in closer then 2nm, yep get that its not required but think its a necessity before even considering going outside the harbour etc 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Mmg said:

Piture this=

(Worst case senario)

battery fails!

boat radio dosent work!

outboard wont start!

not 2nm out but drifting towards rocks

fried wiring, bilge pump not working.

weather turns bad, storm and bucketing rain!

boat starts sinking!

i know what id Rather have!

epirb over mobile phone any day!

Usually when disasters happen they happen quickly!

without any prewarning!

epirb price = $299

money well spent in my opinion.

cheers

2nm out id be throwing the anchor over the side to stop the drift and staight onto the phone for emergency rescue.

But.....given the never ending unfortunate series of events in your scenario you might as well assume the epirb has been damaged and not working 😂

Edit PS.....im certainly not recommending against epirb ownership..i have one and think they should be mandatory anywhere past the headlands........just cant help but giggle at the exceptionally never ending and unfortunate bad luck one would have in the scenario above. 

Also in the situation you described i genuinely beleive a phone call would get a faster response from emergency services than setting off the epirb and waiting.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mmg said:

Piture this=

(Worst case senario)

battery fails!

boat radio dosent work!

outboard wont start!

not 2nm out but drifting towards rocks

fried wiring, bilge pump not working.

weather turns bad, storm and bucketing rain!

boat starts sinking!

i know what id Rather have!

epirb over mobile phone any day!

Usually when disasters happen they happen quickly!

without any prewarning!

epirb price = $299

money well spent in my opinion.

cheers

Not quite sure what this is about? At no point have I recommended not carrying the appropriate legal safety gear.

So let's say I'm in the situation you describe. My boat is sinking " impossible unless it's tied to a sub pulling it to the bottom"

Ellectrics fail, no radio " my alternative would be to use my waterproof handheld vhf"

Bilge pump fails " never going to happen" my boat doesn't have a pump and doesn't need one, let's say the 5 individual floatation chambers all get punctured by giant piranha,  still not an issue as the hull is sealed and self draining.

Engine failure from dead battery isn't an engine failure in my book it's a battery failure. In this case I would use my jumpstarter mentioned earlier. If it was a starter issue I could then revert to the pull cord I carry in my safety kit ( which I've used on engines double the size of my 70hp).

Mobile phone is flat, simple charge it from the satarter battery kit. Phone completely dead ( daylight ) set off my 4 hand smoke flairs with intervals or when I can see other boats. After dark use the 4 red hand flairs and set off parachute white flair.

For me set off my epirb or plb which I carry both of, things would need to be pretty bad, these are for emergencies only. Using the free marine rescue app to log on or logging on with local marine rescue groups means as soon as you don't log off at the time you stated, procedures start in locating you.

We use our boat differently from many on here, we are in the water for several hours each trip in extremely comfortable wetsuits swimming big distances. Personaly I don't trust aluminium boats the way I use them so I would never be in the situation you mention.

Something I've been looking closely into are the Garmin inreach mini, these are well worth a look for those who head well offshore or anywhere remote on the plannet. These work off the iridium network and allow for emergencys like epirbs and plb's only they allow for two way messaging, which could be very handy.

Being able to notify rescuers you are not in an emergency and simply needing a tow saves sending costly helicopters, also you may be able to get medical advice on how to treat a patient untill rescuers arrive. I've been in a situation where a got air in my fuel system while charging a fuel line over 80km offshore, being able to speak to a mechanic would of been handy ( eventually fixed it myself). The South Aus fishermen mostly carry them now due to fishing 100k+ offshore chassing bluefin and broadbill. Yes these do have subscriptions, which amount to 3-4 coffees ( lowest plan) a month but for me also spending time in remote wilderness areas, two way global communication is well worth considering.

Geez  i think im too scared to go to sea now  i cant afford another boat if mine sinks or burns from elec failure which sets the fuel on fire and my distress flare misfires and burns a hole thru my mates chest and and i choke on the fumes  this boating caper is too dangerous for me.....bahahahaha

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Mmg said:

Another question id like to know the answer to?

Anyone know the exact time it takes for a deployed epirb to be noted and acted upon?

one would think the epirb network would be watched all hours of the clock!

I believe it to be very quick, less than a minute in most cases. I was at a meeting two years ago where we had a guest speaker who was high in command with world rescue epirb procedures. Without my wife here to dig up his details and info on the talk I can't be exact, only that I was shocked on how fast the signals are received and operations from there on in start.

Just now, Mmg said:

Obviously Not everyones as  prepired  as you mate!

and not in your boat!

im not talking about you or your boat.

read my post!

it states motor wont start, storm conditions, (not just a bit of rain! Storm!)

drifting towards rocks, ( in big shit in other words)

And in the circumstnces i quoted i seriously doubt you have time to charge a mobile phone, lol.

shit can happen and quickly!

each to their own  an epirb is a welcome part of my safty equipment!

my life is worth more than $299

Sounds like someone is fishing in my spot!!!

IMG_0977.thumb.JPG.b585bdccebc8435a5c0a8f9afc2e9fa4.JPG

Anyone thinking of going offshore should have an epirb flares  fire ext  vsheet vhf radio  jackets torch bucket with rope  we all know that  just use common sense  if i had problems at broughton island if possible i would make a fone call first  if possible  setting off an epirb starts a lot of wheels turning..people making calls to trace where u are police get involved waterways marine rescue  helicopter service  large effort  large cost   epirbs are the last resort   read the info sheet that comes with purchase    i would try every and any means before setting one off....i fish from a 4.8mtr vsea and get up to 30nm from heads and feel comfortable doing it  jon often travels further than i do  we appreciate your thoughts on safety ...everyone has different ideas and thete will always be different scenarios  this is an old thread and there have been lots more since covering this subject  i think we need to leave it at this stage as all who read it will get the obvious idea of whats right or wrong if ontending on heading offshore  then they can choose what they need to do and carry...rick

Not sure if you noticed but the fella who started the thread bought all the safety gear which he feels happy to of done. 

Legal requiremeants are decided by higher authorities than us, if they decide epirbs aren't essential less than 2nm, perhaps they have a reason and this is where the matter should be taken up.

No im not scared of storms  but lots of people are  i have thousamds of hrs at sea after workin on pro boats and longliners  ive probably been in seas that would make lots of people crap there pants  we are just commentong our thoughts pn this topic same as you  taking personal after pnly being a member for nine hrs is not a good way to start off on a friendly site   lots of guys on here have experience  but lots of them dont  thats what these topics help with  it lets people decide their course of action  ramming ones thoughts and ideas down others  I T throats is not what we are about.....maybe spend some time reading other subjects and read the happy results and see what im talking about...subject closed for me

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

I believe it to be very quick, less than a minute in most cases. I was at a meeting two years ago where we had a guest speaker who was high in command with world rescue epirb procedures. Without my wife here to dig up his details and info on the talk I can't be exact, only that I was shocked on how fast the signals are received and operations from there on in start.

Im in VMR in QLD and we did the radio course last year.  From memory the epirb signal goes to canberra and then they are most likely to activate the closest water police who in our area would contact the local VMR/Coastguard.  So it would take a few minutes to contact the police and local guys and then they would take anywhere from 30-45 minutes to mobilise and get on the water.  Depending on the location or how far out at sea they would activate rescue helicopters.  We had a chopper flying around town the other month.  Supposedly it was from an epirb being set off in someones back yard.  Not sure if it was intentional or not.  

Edited by Fishop

Mmg im not trying to put shit on you  i agree with u that people should have an epirb  but your way of going about the subject throwing ridiculous scenarios up and bagging myself and jon is not for having rational opinions then making absurd comments about going out when others are going in because of bad weather which could cause your incredible amount of bad happenings in a boat is not sensible in my opinion   but then i have no idea obviously....definetly last reply to this bullshit......ps welcome to raider hopefully we can talk on another subject  without animosity....rick

52 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Well Mmg has a point with his multiple causes scenario. One of my favourite shows is Air Crash Investigations and you will find that planes don't crash from one cause - it is several lining up together. It's called the 'swiss cheese model'.

I think we can all agree that If you head offshore it is highly recommended that you have an EPIRB.  Case closed on that as i think we all agree.

I agree disasters are usually a result of a series of unfortunate events.

However in relation mmgs original post.

A flat battery, with engine failure, wiring gets fried, with unforecasted and unforseen severe storm with torrential rain that is capable of flooding your boat to the extent that it is sinking..with a mobile phone loss due to saturation, storm so bad that your not even capable of making an emergency call.

Mayte......thats like being hit by lighting, whilst drowning whilst being attacked by a shark all at the same time.

What the guys are politely trying to point out is that yes, disasters occur as a result of an unfortunate series of events but those events need to be reasonably, practicably or statistically possible!!

Reality of the situation aside i see the point @Mmg is saying.......its better to prepared. That i can agree 100%!!

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Haha 1