Port Stephens- Weekend report

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

What better excuse is there to go fishing than having your local club Comp on, with good weather and also having the weekend off from work. 

Friday

Lines in at 4pm and took the family out onto the bay to troll for flatty after some great advice from many raiders. Unfortunately, I did not hook up but it is a work in progress. Next plan was to catch some whiting for live bait and head to my Jew hole. Perfect conditions that night and I was confident we might get one. The only problem was someone was sitting in my hole so I anchored downhill. Two hours pass and I could smell them in the air. I had one whiting and one yakka sitting in a great hole. As the sun fades out, the other boat leaves and my mate turns up to say hi. Well he starts the drift not far from where the other boat was (my spot) and first cast hooks up to a 113cm Jew! Congrats to him but more a$&e than class! Good one bevy! :) 

Anyway, after they released him and I think they spooked the rest, I pulled the pin and set for Home. 

Saturday

I headed to Broughton with my son and his mate and the plan was to start early, leave early. 

Got to Broughton in trying conditions with a bit of wind, chop and thick fog. Started to cast and for an hour not a touch. Water was 20.4 and super clear. As the sun rose, the wind and swell dropped right off, so not really good for drifting but we pushed on and I managed a nice snaps going just on 60cm. Worked a few other areas for no result. No much bait about and no current. Combine this with clear water and swell we had our backs against it. We moved on and finally found some action with schools of kings. But everyone of them were either one or two centimetres short! :( great fun all the same! Finished there and headed home! 

Sunday

Up early again but this time picked a mate up from our club and took him to Broughton! He’s only ever been up there once and was keen to see my spots. Similar conditions to the day before but a little more wind for drifting. I was teaching him the art of sps but after no return he reached for the bait. I managed 3 snaps for the esky whilst he brought up every reef species the island had to offer except a keeper. We tried many different spots and finally found some bait. I was flicking around and notice a swam of bait under the boat. As I worked my lure back I noticed a huge swirl behind it and I proceeded to wind with vigor. Then next to the boat was a school of kings and huge at that. (Some well over a meter) So we drift the area for some time and my mate gets snagged to the bottom, well he thought so until the bottom headed for the bommie at warp speed. I turn the boat and start to chase it but it wasn’t to be and dusted him 150m away. We drifted a few more times but no luck so I decided to head to where I hooked the kings the day before. We started trolling the area and I hooked up straight away to a 64.5cm king haha. After a quick release we look at the time and it’s got the better of us so it was time to go! 

Get back to the ramp and start to gut and gill my fish and over comes fellow raider “Ribs” to say hi! (Good to see you mate) 

Well that was the end of my trip but it was great to see Mrs scratchie take the 2 younger ones for a fish whilst I was out and scratchie Jnr went out with a mate and nailed 3 good flatty that he weighed and won the junior section and also broke the Jnr record with a nice flatty @1.17kg Well done Brando! 

Until next, tight lines!

cheers scratchie!!! BD56F429-17D7-4986-9602-1250C5656D38.pngFB81B02C-4ECE-49AF-A6A3-529A010ECB72.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Wellzy94 said:

Those just undersize kings are super fun, but they're so taunting!

Some great fish there Scratchie, and those snapper look good!

Cheers,

Wellzy

Cheers! The kings were frustrating as there were some good sized ones amongst them. 

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Sounds like some fun time when you did find a fish or 3. Nice reddies.

Thanks yowie! For the time on water it was really tough fishing. I was happy to manage a few! 

great report jeff  pity there wasn't a few more for you..last trip the water was that green I couldn't see bottom in5mtrs..and there were slimies nearly everywhere we fished....I got done by something non snapper like so im guessin it was one of your yellowtailed mates haha....hope to get up there soon..will let you know when...rick

17 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

great report jeff  pity there wasn't a few more for you..last trip the water was that green I couldn't see bottom in5mtrs..and there were slimies nearly everywhere we fished....I got done by something non snapper like so im guessin it was one of your yellowtailed mates haha....hope to get up there soon..will let you know when...rick

Cheers rick! Water super clear. My mate was freaking that we would hit a bommie. I said mate we’re in 12m of water! Haha. 

I’ll be back up there ASAP! :) 

15 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

did you try the ledges around the cords I sent jeff..sometimes they are shy there once the sun gets up  .rick

No mate, never got the chance but thanks heaps as that’s another option to try! 

Happy to return the favour! :) 

22 minutes ago, J0nn0 said:

better than being at work that’s for sure, sounds like you had an eventful weekend!

Cheers mate! To add, free jumping whales, dolphins and then when back in the bay, a master class from the roulette squadron! Great weekend! :) 

Great report,Jeff!  All I've been able to do is look at the water from the balcony lately! Had a pretty bad run... 1st, the kitchen pipes burst and flooded the ceiling downstairs. Insured of course, but tradies have been coming and going.  The new ceiling went in on Friday and the painters come tomorrow.  Then the carpenter to repair the kitchen cupboards, then the electrician to rewire the downlights downstairs. $1,000 excess. 2nd, the clutch on my X-trail blew out at the bottom of my driveway - $2200 repair job.  3rd, the wife was driving in the hail Thursday before last and got smashed - just about every panel.  Drove to Cardiff yesterday for insurance assessment.  Many of the dents will be repaired by paintless dent removal but it will need a new bonnet and the front panels and roof will need painting with a blend in over the tailgate. Estimated 3 week turn around. $675 excess. Surely nothing else can go wrong and I can get out on the water soon!

2 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report,Jeff!  All I've been able to do is look at the water from the balcony lately! Had a pretty bad run... 1st, the kitchen pipes burst and flooded the ceiling downstairs. Insured of course, but tradies have been coming and going.  The new ceiling went in on Friday and the painters come tomorrow.  Then the carpenter to repair the kitchen cupboards, then the electrician to rewire the downlights downstairs. $1,000 excess. 2nd, the clutch on my X-trail blew out at the bottom of my driveway - $2200 repair job.  3rd, the wife was driving in the hail Thursday before last and got smashed - just about every panel.  Drove to Cardiff yesterday for insurance assessment.  Many of the dents will be repaired by paintless dent removal but it will need a new bonnet and the front panels and roof will need painting with a blend in over the tailgate. Estimated 3 week turn around. $675 excess. Surely nothing else can go wrong and I can get out on the water soon!

Gees mate that it some bad luck. Good news is, they come in 3’s so that should be it. 

Maybe need some salt air and fishing to relieve your stress! 

See ya on the water! 

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

I love reading your reports Scratchie, they're always upbeat, an indicator of how much you love every opportunity you get to spend time on the water. Keep up the good work, bn

Thanks BN. There is no place on this earth that I feel more solace than on the water! 

14 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Gees mate that it some bad luck. Good news is, they come in 3’s so that should be it. 

Maybe need some salt air and fishing to relieve your stress! 

See ya on the water! 

Yeah, in threes. That's what I was thinking. Will get out there soon!

• 3 weeks later...