Some kind of eel, caught at the Entrance at dusk (Highfin Moray Eel)

MainframeJames

Question

Gave a great fight, caught him on my light 6ft rod on a bit of pilly. Very chunky body, seemed well fed! About 90cm. Sand makes it hard to see his colour but it was an olive green with dark spots/splotches. 

Very aggressive. Had to net him to get him back in the water. 

8CA44D97-6DB4-4ACF-B19C-1B3667359BFF.jpeg

Edited by MainframeJames

12 answers to this question

Oh god. I hate those things. Unsettling looking things.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=green+moray+eel&rlz=1C1CHFX_enAU668AU668&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil5NS4gsjXAhUPtJQKHcuHCDMQ_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=919

Apparently they are good eating. Someone told me people from the pacific islands go out and intentionally catch em to eat. Not sure how it is prepared though

Apparently there are only two common eels in Australia, longfin and shortfin. The shortfins only get 90cm at their biggest and are meant to be uniform in colour. Longfins get up to 1.7m and are green with dark spots. 

Colour matches longfin description and it would be some kind of record if it were a shortfin, so I'm guessing longfin eel?

Only thing that's throwing me is I don't think it had the large kind of pectoral fins that seem obvious in pictures of longfins. 

Edited by MainframeJames

10 minutes ago, chokpa said:

Oh god. I hate those things. Unsettling looking things.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=green+moray+eel&rlz=1C1CHFX_enAU668AU668&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwil5NS4gsjXAhUPtJQKHcuHCDMQ_AUICigB&biw=1680&bih=919

Apparently they are good eating. Someone told me people from the pacific islands go out and intentionally catch em to eat. Not sure how it is prepared though

I can see how they could be good eating. It was like one giant muscle. Would have to be mostly meat. 

20 hours ago, MainframeJames said:

Apparently there are only two common eels in Australia, longfin and shortfin. The shortfins only get 90cm at their biggest and are meant to be uniform in colour. Longfins get up to 1.7m and are green with dark spots. 

Colour matches longfin description and it would be some kind of record if it were a shortfin, so I'm guessing longfin eel?

Only thing that's throwing me is I don't think it had the large kind of pectoral fins that seem obvious in pictures of longfins. 

longfin is only in freshwater