Maiden Voyage

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders 

Took the new boat out for the maiden voyage today and as always a mixture of highs and lows as is with any fishing trip.

Tried last night to download all my marks from previous boat fishfinder onto the new fishfinder only to find that the SD card had been damaged (almost broken in half). Where and how that happened i dont know. 5 years worth of boating exploration down the gurdler but hey thats fishing right haha. 

For the maiden voyage the plan was intentionally simple, launch the boat, have a good play inside the flat harbor to get some stats and learn how to handle then head outside for a quick bottom bash.

Total weight with crew, hull, fuel and tackle etc was 1500kg not including the motor and the new 150hp G2 HO was more than enough to power us along with a fast holeshot and up and on plane in around 3 seconds. Not surprised with the results considering the amount of time i spent deciding on which motor to go with.

some quick stats

1200rpm/ 6 knots / 4.5 litres hr

3500rpm/ 22 knots/ 18 litres/hr

4500rpm/30 knots / 27 litres/hr

WOT/ 39 knots / 43 litres hr

Obviously the results outside in the chop wont be as good depending on the conditions but im quite happy with the power and handling none the less.

One thing i absolutely loved was Evinrudes new i-trim feature which trims the boat automatically to get you up on plane and then when your cruising along. Didnt have to touch the trim button the whole trip.

Headed out eventually and found the fish very hungry, plenty of flathead around and lots of throwbacks. Kept some flathead around 40-45cm for the table along with 10 red spot whiting. Interestingly didnt find any reds, even the plague of undersize ones.

Up until recently i would throw those red spots back because i imagined getting the bones out would be too much work. Then tried one a week or so ago at a friends place and he basically said just eat the flesh as is bones are so thin they just crunch away. 

Had the whiting for lunch today with salad and fries what a great eating fish they are.

Overall another great day out in this beautiful country of ours.

thx for reading, Sam

IMG_0880.PNG

IMG_0885.PNG

Edited by GoingFishing

23 minutes ago, FishermanSteve said:

Nice boat and nice catch well done mate

Thanks mate

11 minutes ago, Trident690 said:

Hi Sam, I just got my Trident 690. I have had two weeks of issues with water in the fuel. Today just got a recall on it. Good chance yours is the same as same factory. Have u being having any issues?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. How did u receive the recall and whats the problem?

Ive had no issues so far, that being said as i noted in my report this is my first trip. I had my motor installed by the dealer as the boat was originally rigged with a 135g1 and on display and i wanted the 150g2. All fuel cables, controls etc were installed by the dealer.

Looks like the Yellowfin 5800 - is that right? How does it go towing (what do you tow it with)?

PS: I noticed it's the 6200 on closer inspection. Let us know how it performs after more offshore trips (I am considering getting the 5800).

Edited by kingfishbig

22 hours ago, Regan said:

awesome catch + boat mate

Thanks mate :)

21 hours ago, papafish said:

nice report sam!! that boat look like a TANK!!! lol

Cheers mate

14 hours ago, kingfishbig said:

Looks like the Yellowfin 5800 - is that right? How does it go towing (what do you tow it with)?

PS: I noticed it's the 6200 on closer inspection. Let us know how it performs after more offshore trips (I am considering getting the 5800).

Will keep you posted on overall performance as i have some trips planned this summer out wide. Boat+trailer+motor can be towed with ease with a vehicle with 2 tonne towing capacity, i tow with a kluger no problems.

PS- the new Yellowfin doesnt come in the 5800 model anymore. The 5800 model had a hull length of 6000mm and LOA of 6200 including bowsprit. So the 5800 is now called a 6200, and so on up the range. The smallest size in the range is now the 6200

11 hours ago, Farvos said:

Beautiful boat mate. Was close to getting one but opted for the bar crusher. Very menancing in black

Thanks mate, out of curiousity what made you go the barcrusher? I had my options narrowed down to the yellowfin and the Formosa. By the time u throw in all the extras on the yellowfin onto the formosa the prices are comparable but the real problem for me was Formosas Sydney Dealer was an absolute joke. I visited him three times and couldnt get a quote to get a boat made to my spec he was only interested in selling me his floor stock.

8 hours ago, JonD said:

Always good to see a happy boater, nice cruise figures at 3500-4500 rpm.

Thanks Jon, power to fuel consumption is great, the whole trip this weekend consumed circa 20-22 litres 

6 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great report Sam and I’m glad your happy your boat! Just don’t let your dad put the fuel in! Haha :) 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks jeff, haha u have brought back horrifying memories. Fully welded and stitched aluminium floor with scupper drainage on this one so if that happens again straight to the back of the boat and out! 

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

Nice everything 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Hateanchors said:

Love the boat mate and a feed of Flattys and Whiting = yum! 

Beer battered fish and chips is a favourite of mine with those. 

Thanks mate, those red spots tasted great i am surprised ive been so naive and putting them back all these years. 

53 minutes ago, antonywardle said:

Nice boat and nice catch well done Sam. Love the G2 , colour matched too! I'd be interested in more impressions of the engine as you get more hours on it. Did you get the version when the steering is inside the engine too?

Thanks Antony

The G2 comes standard with power steering (built into engine) and the i-trim system. 

One thing i am still trying to get my head wrapped around is the reverse cycle flushing with the motor off. By all accounts this is exactly as per manufacturers instructions. Have always flushed with motor on until thermostat opens so this concept is new to me !!! 

Am doing tonnes of reading on this to make sure i get as much salt out as possible

20 hours ago, Yowie said:

Good feed of fish. Though small, the red spots are good eating. Easy to scale and fillet. The bones can easily be removed (with a bit of practice)

Thanks Yowie, great to have u back. Your words of wisdom were missed

5 hours ago, nick m said:

Great report Sam. Did you launch from Rose Bay? Pretty sure I saw this majestic machine launch just after we did and then power past us as the Wedding Cakes. 

Yes that would have been me ! Not too many black yellowfins around i imagine haha

how are the wedding cakes fishing ? I havent fished the cakes in 2 years almost

I liked the build quality of the bar crusher and the narrow hull in alli gives a good ride through chop. My last boat was a formosa tomahawk 550 cc. Great boat but very big and heavy. Used to pound through swell rather than cut it. The cabin in the bar crusher is very usable and the value for money is quite good.

All personal taste and choice i guess.

4 hours ago, Farvos said:

I liked the build quality of the bar crusher and the narrow hull in alli gives a good ride through chop. My last boat was a formosa tomahawk 550 cc. Great boat but very big and heavy. Used to pound through swell rather than cut it. The cabin in the bar crusher is very usable and the value for money is quite good.

All personal taste and choice i guess.

It's the narrow hull as well as a fairly steep deadrise, and coupled with the ability to lock in water ballast that gives the soft ride. The beauty is that you release all that water ballast when it comes time to retrieve and tow the boat. I am looking at the Surtees 575 as well as the Yellowfin 5800 (now called 6200). I like the light tow weight of the Surtees as well as having a single axle trailer (less maintenance). In the favour of the Yellowfin the wide beam gives you more room (and at a similar price).