Boat Street Parking in Sydney

NickRolls

Hi All

Im looking at getting myself a tinnie to run around Sydney harbour.

Cant park it in my apartment building as parking is underground.

Driving through Sydney I’ve noticed boats parked in the street.

Will I be able to park my boat in the street, or even in another area from where I live In Sydney?

Wondering how guys go about doing this as I’m very keen to get a boat.

Cheers

Nick

Several Sydney councils, specially those that are close to a river or ramp are cracking down on boats parked on the street, first thing the boat trailer must be registered and parked on the right side of the road so that the tail lights are  visible  ( don't laugh ) lots of boats get parked facing the wrong way, and you will have to move the trailer every now and again. Depending on your area you may be OK .

Frank

Be considerate where you park it as well, try not to put it directly in front of someone’s house or block there vision when entering or leaving their driveway.

have it covered and remove any items easy to steal, move it regularly 

17 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

there is always the use of a storage facility..locked behind fence and secure......people have boats stolen off the street...read crime topics on this forum....rick

~$500 a month is a bit rich to store a tinny. Plus most don't give you 24 hour access. 

Just get a wheel clamp, coupling lock, park it in a quiet street with little vehicle and foot traffic and if you're extra cautious you can look into hiding a GPS tracking device in it. 

Also setup your cover so that it doesnt collect water each time it rains. Nothing worse than finding 100L of water in your boat and a torn cover.

Edited by Smasher

11 minutes ago, shakey55 said:

I wouldn’t be happy if someone decided to park their boat out the front of my house.  I don’t know what others think, but just my thoughts

Same here, must you live in an apartment?

so restrictive, i would rather move out west and deal with traffic or public transport than live in the big smoke in apartments.

my brother lives in apartment and ive had his second vehicle on my lawn for 5 years ?

each to their own i guess but its not for me, a man needs a boat, 4x4, car, and trailer lol.

On 1/19/2018 at 7:42 AM, shakey55 said:

I wouldn’t be happy if someone decided to park their boat out the front of my house.  I don’t know what others think, but just my thoughts

You may not be happy but remember you DON'T own the road in front of your land so anyone can legally park there as much as you can unless not allowed by a sign that says so in that case you can't park there either.

Any vehicle under 7.5 mtrs can park on unrestricted streets .  If the trailer is hooked up to a tow vehicle then the length of the combo must be under 7.5 mtrs. 

Yes but personally I think its a good idea that the person whose house you are parked nearest to is cool with. If anything bad happens to your boat do you want them to stay silent and be happy about it or call the cops?

I park mine along a fence and the lovely old lady whose house is on the corner block I’ve met and I park it where it doesn’t bother her. In turn she tells me she keeps an eye on it for me.  Occasionally I even give her a fish or two when I’ve had a successful day. Its a good neighbourly thing to do.

Though Ive had another neighbor who lives a hundred meters down the road once question me “how long is it gonna live there” and as far as I’m concerned its none of her business 

Edited by Smasher

22 hours ago, Smasher said:

Though Ive had another neighbor who lives a hundred meters down the road once question me “how long is it gonna live there” and as far as I’m concerned its none of her business 

When we first brought home our 6.4m Haines (8m on trailer) and parked it fully on one side of our double driveway (8m frontage)... our neighbour approached my wife and asked the same ... "how long is it gonna live there?" .... then mentioned ... "she's  going to call council as there must be rule about this or something" ..... and her excuse for being upset about our pride and joy sitting fully on our property in our driveway ..... "people coming up the road wont be able to see the Christmas tree in her lounge room window from that direction"  !!!!!!!!!

Sheeesh .... some people think that the world revolves around them ! 

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962

12 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

"people coming up the road wont be able to see the Christmas tree in her lounge room window from that direction"  !!!!!!!!!

Well if you were nice, you would have moved the boat directly out the front of her house so everyone could see the Xmas tree from that angle, next time don’t be such a Grinch.

ha ha ha ha

13 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

When we first brought home our 6.4m Haines (8m on trailer) and parked it fully on one side of our double driveway (8m frontage)... our neighbour approached my wife and asked the same ... "how long is it gonna live there?" .... then mentioned ... "she's  going to call council as there must be rule about this or something" ..... and her excuse for being upset about our pride and joy sitting fully on our property in our driveway ..... "people coming up the road wont be able to see the Christmas tree in her lounge room window from that direction"  !!!!!!!!!

Sheeesh .... some people think that the world revolves around them ! 

Cheers

Zoran

You should have apologised and told her You'll only park it there from New year until Xmas.

9 hours ago, Fab1 said:

You should have apologised and told her You'll only park it there from New year until Xmas.

Yeah. How silly of me to be using my own driveway without apologizing to the neighbour first !

cheers Z