Airlie Beach trip (Days 1&2)

notoriousTASH

Hellooooooo and good evening raiders!

Thought I'd make a post about my trip with the Mrs so far up at beautiful airlie beach, Qld! So far it has been absolutely fantastic. The waters here are just amazing and the people are surprisingly friendly and helpful! First day we got here was pretty chill though we did a spot of fishing at night on the wharf at Shute Harbour. We were also there today for about 5 hours with non stop action. Yesterday we took a half day charter (Whitsunday Fishing Charters, $129 in case anyone is interested) which didn't provide as much action as we had hoped for but still plenty of fun as it was our first time on a charter. Attached below are some pics for everyone to see the fun we have had, plus for those ID pros, plenty of fish that need ID. Tomorrow we are hiring a dinghy for the whole day (Whitsunday boat hire, $250 from memory) so I'm sure we will have more pics for you then. 

What we have found particularly interesting is the abundance of use of cast nets. We watched a guy today use one on the wharf and when he pulled it out there were at least 300 herring caught in there. We were discussing amongst ourselves how it's no wonder that they are banned in NSW... We'd have no bloody fish left.

Pic 1 - biggest herring ever

Pic 2 - view from our room

For some reason it won't let me upload more than the two pics, even though they're a total 210kb? I'll attach more in comments

Resized_20180315_221422_7047.jpeg

FB_IMG_1521284974333.jpg

• Like 1

Pic 6 - the fishing wharf at Shute Harbour

Pic 7 - fusilier aka awesome bait

Pic 8 - something stripey

Pic 9 - someone told us the name for this but can't remember 

Pix 10 - caught heaps of these no idea what they are

Pic 11 - I always seem to catch the weirdest of sea creatures. This was some kind of slug. It has injested half a herring, then spat the whole thing out once I got it out of the water. This one i am really keen to get an ID on.

Pic 12 - Fingermark aka Golden Snapper. This one is fun to catch! 

FB_IMG_1521285421269.jpg

FB_IMG_1521285435536.jpg

FB_IMG_1521285438295.jpg

FB_IMG_1521285441312.jpg

FB_IMG_1521285444030.jpg

FB_IMG_1521285449917.jpg

FB_IMG_1521285453149.jpg

• Like 1

I forgot to add this last picture. This is the result of that cast net. The guy gave us about 1/4-1/5 of what he had caught. Everybody on the wharf got a bunch. This is also about 1/3 of what we have. By the time I took the picture, the Mrs had already transferred most of them into a plastic bag. 

Resized_20180317_200443_8357.jpeg

4 minutes ago, MainframeJames said:

#5 is a Blue Tuskfish. Might have other names. One of the best eating fish you can catch up there. Absolutely delicious. 

Yes after posting I thought id try a Google search and found it. The one I caught went back in the drink as I didn't know what it was but we will keep it in mind for tomorrow when we are out! One in the pic was probably around the 25cm mark. Just had a look at the limit on the Qld gov fishing website, min 30 cm

2 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great post Tash and Mrs. You certainly got some very weird species among your captures. Thanks for posting. bn

Bn, the most bizarre has to be that slug thing. It was so feathery looking. When it spat out the half herring was disgusting... it was like something out of Alien.

Just now, notoriousTASH said:

Bn, the most bizarre has to be that slug thing. It was so feathery looking. When it spat out the half herring was disgusting... it was like something out of Alien.

You're not wrong there Tash. Ever wonder why some things exist under the sea? The mind boggles, bn

• Haha 1

Tash can I just reiterate what Rick had to say about that black trevally - I'm told the pain off a spike is excruciating , I saw a bloke nearly pass out after getting spiked by one. My suggestion is don't touch them cut your line if necessary to get it off. The Queenslanders call them 'happy moments'!

A real aquarium of fish you've been getting - looks like a lot of fun.

Fil

Congratulations on certainly a mixed catch of species, nothing boring there. I recon the smile says it all.

I'll have a go at whats left to ID.

First the Trout is a Trout but not a Common or Blue spot but a Barred-cheek .... see you can drop that when retelling the story about the different fish you caught. :D

Pick 7. I'm calling it a Yellow and Blue Back Fusilier

Pic 8. Narrow-Banded Sergeant

Pic 10 Paradise Threadfin Bream

Pic 11 Bristle Worm

Pic 12. I'm calling it a Moses perch (Snapper) Dirvin21 on here catches a few up in the Nambucca river.

As always, happy to be wrong.

Keep the reports coming in N.T. Great trip by the look of it.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Tash can I just reiterate what Rick had to say about that black trevally - I'm told the pain off a spike is excruciating , I saw a bloke nearly pass out after getting spiked by one. My suggestion is don't touch them cut your line if necessary to get it off. The Queenslanders call them 'happy moments'!

A real aquarium of fish you've been getting - looks like a lot of fun.

Fil

Happy moments - that's what the other anglers told us it was called! They don't seem to result in happy moments with the way you described that spike though! ?

On 3/17/2018 at 11:36 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

no9 is a black trevally or spinefoot..DO NOT get spiked by these  very painful...rick

yes, got spiked but it only stung for a few minutes and I forgot about it. thanks to a high pain threshold ?