Advice needed for buying a fishing boat

Xi803

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

x  not to be shot down in flames for suggesting a boat that could be multi purpose....a 6.0mtr deep vee glass boat is ideal for outside but not very practical for spinning for bream n flatties.....a 4.8 t0 5.3 mtr could be a very good size as a compromise to do both   I have been on raider for a while now and prefer to offer positive advice to new guys   if they don't know  that's why we as older  supposedly smarter members are here to offer advice...if he said he was getting a 3.5 mtr punt I would advise against  but hes after advise as to what he should get   not what not to get...rick

This is argumentative. For a start you are shape shifting. I didn't say get a 6 boat, I said a 5.4 to 5.8 m boat. And I said that a 4.6 open pressed tinnie is not very suitable for long range outside fishing now you give the example of 4.8 to 5.3 m. Also he didn't mention anything about spinning for bream and flatties.

You seem to be offering some very convoluted reasoning as to why my advice is invalid just because it is different to other posters. Why not take it on board than just trying to dictate?

Edited by kingfishbig

6 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

you didn't read his original post very well he says he fishes for bream n flatties  im not tryin to be argumentive I just think positive advice is better than negative

Really? As I said he didn't say anything about lure fishing for bream and flatties (that's what I mean by shape shifting).

On 7/14/2018 at 5:21 PM, Xi803 said:

“...Im looking for either a side or centre console. 

Budget is 20k to 25k for a low hour used boat.

I normally fish the hawkesbury river for bream and flatties and do go to the heads at Sydney harbour and Jervis bay to chase Kingies.

...Looking to fish a bit further out. Peaks, Fads 12mile etc...

I will still mainly use it for inshore but like to know that it will be capable to fish offshore on calm days...

Nah, Rick’s right. He definitely said he fishes for bream and flatties. Nothing about lures though. You added that.

Let’s play nice though. Give constructive suggestions. A 4.6m - 4.9m console tinny may suit his purposes. It may not suit yours. My 449 Outlaw is the ducks nuts for me! Sure, a 469 or a 489 would have been nice but I went with what I could afford at the time and I am happy. It suits the ramps around here. Would I head out real wide? No, but the FAD is doable on the right day. The Car Park is somewhat further and I’d probably look to tag along in someone else’s boat for that. I could buy a bigger boat but then I’d have more troubles on my steep curved driveway, would need a big 4wd and would be restricted in ramp choice, which means a longer run to the heads and more fuel. It’s horses for courses.

• Like 3

When I answer questions like this on forums & guess I tend to think more about what I would do/want rather than probably actually answering the OP's question.

That may not be the right way to look at it but for example how many of you can draw on this kind of example from life experience?

I have walked in to buy a new car & thought I only have this budget & walked out with the GLX model instead of the GLX-R, then sometime later wished I had "found" the extra coin because now I really want the  features that the GLX-R would give you, now I am spending more money putting on the diff lockers & other features on at more cost than the upgraded features would have cost on the original GLX-R.

My point being at some point you will want more, we always do & if I could get into something that I can still fish well out of easily in the bay but be a better sea going boat then I would choose the later any day.

Edited by kingie chaser

33 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

When I answer questions like this on forums & guess I tend to think more about what I would do/want rather than probably actually answering the OP's question.

That may not be the right way to look at it but for example how many of you can draw on this kind of example from life experience?

I have walked in to buy a new car & thought I only have this budget & walked out with the GLX model instead of the GLX-R, then sometime later wished I had "found" the extra coin because now I really want the  features that the GLX-R would give you, now I am spending more money putting on the diff lockers & other features on at more cost than the upgraded features would have cost on the original GLX-R.

My point being at some point you will want more, we always do & if I could get into something that I can still fish well out of easily in the bay but be a better sea going boat then I would choose the later any day.

I would of bought a hilux and never looked back.?

• Like 1

You can always get two boats. Fishing skinny water (especially with lures) and long range offshore fishing is a bit hard to do in one boat.  For the former a tinnie or even a kayak won't cost much and then you won't have to compromise on offshore fishing. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

You can always get two boats. Fishing skinny water (especially with lures) and long range offshore fishing is a bit hard to do in one boat.  For the former a tinnie or even a kayak won't cost much and then you won't have to compromise on offshore fishing. 

If you have the space that's another way to go, when I get my offshore boat I would like to hang onto my little tinny if I can.

It only costs me $500 a year to run :biggrinthumb:

Thank you everyone for their advice. 

Been reading through the comments and I've decided to up the budget and get a new 460 Renegade SC and 60 or 70 Yammie

So off to the boat show in 2 weeks and try to make a deal.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xi803 said:

Been reading through the comments and I've decided to up the budget and get a new 460 Renegade SC and 60 or 70 Yammie

Quintrex pre-rig their boats with ETECs in the factory....but u can order the boat only and have a yammie fitted.

When i bought my 460 Renegade SC i went with a 75 ETEC and it could fly (if it had wings). Mind blowing hole shot and top speed of 54km/hr which isnt too shabby for a 4.6m runabout. 

ETECs are a great outboard and IMHO in that sub 100HP outboard category they provide best bang for your buck in terms of power and fuel consumption. 

If your heart is set on the Yammie id go 70HP as the 60 might be slightly underpowered.

• Like 2

well that thread got out of hand quickly......sounds like you've made your choice anyways, good luck with it !!

Heres my 2 cents, i own a 4.9m centre console Quintrex fishraider and pretty much only ever fish outside, fish in all sorts of conditions and have never had any issues, im commonly one of the only few boats out at my local ramp, its all about knowing the conditions and what your boat can handle, you will only get that from experience though, take your time read all the weather apps take a look outside and pick your days, sure theirs times when the weather will turn to crap unplanned but it would have to be pretty out of control if you couldn't make your way in, best of luck with it all though mate

15 hours ago, Xi803 said:

Here is my tip for the boat show purchase.

1. Got to your local dealer before the show and look at the boat you want, sit in it walk around it, kick its tyres. Note any features you like or would change. Grab a brochure and have a chat.

2. Pick your accessories and all the options you want and write them down. Have a must have and a wish list.

3. Head to the Boat show with a pen / highlighter, grab the boat show dealer special flyer for the boat u want from each dealer and introduce yourself and have a chat to break the ice.

4. Grab a coffee Read it and highlight everything you wanted and the write on the bottom what it’s missing from your wanted list.

5. Have a chat and talk about quick chat about prices, tell them you are willing to pay a deposit there and then once you agree a price and product. 

6. Research current prices and deals, check the 2nd hand market for 1 or 2 yr old boats.

7. Go on the web page and look at all the accessories, 

8. If unsure walk away and have a coffee, that’s what I did and my wife told the dealer, we just need to make sure it has everything he wants as he is not allow to buy boat stuff for a year afterwards.?

9. Go to your local dealer last and when you at a price you like try and add more option, like upgrade from a 5” screen to a 7” screen, spare bung plugs, longer anchor rope, sealed underside of floor, rod holders, discount on spares or accessories in the shop at pick up (I got 15%) which helped with boat cover, wheel lock and tow ball lock purchase.

my wife did all my bargaining as I was so excited at getting a boat I would have signed anything thinking she might change her mind.?I think we got $2k of the price on the form and a few extras chucked in.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Thanks 1

Guest Guest123456789
9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Quintrex pre-rig their boats with ETECs in the factory....but u can order the boat only and have a yammie fitted.

When i bought my 460 Renegade SC i went with a 75 ETEC and it could fly (if it had wings). Mind blowing hole shot and top speed of 54km/hr which isnt too shabby for a 4.6m runabout. 

ETECs are a great outboard and IMHO in that sub 100HP outboard category they provide best bang for your buck in terms of power and fuel consumption. 

If your heart is set on the Yammie id go 70HP as the 60 might be slightly underpowered.

How noisy was the etec at WOT? That’s my only concern compared to a Yammie. I’ve got a 2 stroke now which I love but it’s very loud so when I upgrade I’m looking at something quieter.

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

How noisy was the etec at WOT? That’s my only concern compared to a Yammie. I’ve got a 2 stroke now which I love but it’s very loud so when I upgrade I’m looking at something quieter.

My 60 ETEC is much quieter than my old Yammy 25 2 stroke. Like chalk and cheese. However, I suggest you compare specs to a 4 stroke. I’m sure manufacturers would list the decibels so you could compare. I usually fish solo, so it doesn’t really matter to me but if my wife is with me, we can talk over the motor at WOT if she is seated beside me. If the passenger seat is in one of the forward positions, it’s not so easy. If my son is with me, he just curls up and has a sleep until we get to the grounds, so it doesn’t really matter. Come to think if it, my wife sometimes doesn’t want to talk to me, so it makes no difference either! ??

I suggest you go in a ride in a couple of boats to see for yourself. If you can get to Port Stephens mid-week on one of my days off, I’d be happy to take you out in my Outlaw. It’s similar to a Renegade and just the next size down from the 469 you are consideting.

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

ETECs are very quiet especially being a 2 stroke.

I can still have conversations with the person sat next to me when WOT.

Are they as quiet as a 4 stroke? Probably not....but on the long list of outboard spec preferences id have to say noise level is pretty low (for me anyway). Especially in this day and age when all motors irrespective of make model are very quiet compared to 20-30yrs ago.

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Xi803 said:

For what you described at the beginning, I would recommend something a bit bigger than a 4.6m. I would stick with pressed alloy but get 5m minimum. 

Also, just my preference but in boats under 5m I feel safer with a cab or runabout style when going outside. Less chance of waves swamping over the front in big seas. Plus you have protection from spray and wind. 

I had a Formula 15 which was a very capable small boat. I towed min up around the NT, Qld, South Aus and all around NSW, it was used on rivers to 50km offshore. Yes it was open but warm clothes fix that minor detail, being able to fish right around the boat really does make these little boats hard to beat. I removed the 90 two smoke and replaced it with a Yam f70, sold it for $22000. 

When looking at any small boat I believe there's not that much difference in the handling of any tinnies simply because the difference between a 14- 16 degree hull.  

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

While the OP has made their purchase, this thread will show for others researching over time, so my $0.02 worth in no particular order:

- know your weather. I 100% agree with the comment to not rely upon an app on your phone. Check actual weather maps for your area and watch the weather whenever outside. Learn where the bad weather comes from, and how the weather rolls in when turning bad. Every area is different. This knowledge can save lives when going wide offshore.

- if weather turns really bad, there is no need to punch straight into chop. Sometimes you might be better cutting across the swell and chop, at more or less speed. Zig zag in, get to the lee of land and track the coast. 

- carry extra fuel. When you get caught by bad weather, knowing you have enough fuel to get home is a good feeling. The heart in mouth feeling of not having enough isn't fun.

- a bigger boat loaded badly is just as bad as a smaller boat loaded and handled well by an experienced skipper. Watch load balancing, especially forward and aft, but obviously port and starboard too. 

- if in doubt, don't go out. 

What I feel comfortable in, and the ocean I'd take a small boat out in will be different to you. Boating experience / knowledge and ocean savy all play a part in our ability to get home safely.

My rule is simple: if I doubt I can get my crew home safe, I don't go.

I've spent my life on and near the ocean. At age 14 I bought a 6m Milligan Nipper with a 75hp Mercury home, across and through a whitewater bar because the skipper went down with kidney stones. That experience shaped my respect for being prepared on the ocean. I know how to handle boats, know what a boat can do, but never push the risk of the return trip for he sake of ego.

No size of boat, or motor, can undo or out weigh your ability to understand the ocean. An 8m fibreglass cabin boat in inexperienced hands is just as dangerous as a 4m open tinnie in an old salts hands ... On the wrong ocean.

Respect the ocean. 

Choose a boat for the ocean within your range of respect.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:10 PM, Xi803 said:

How'd you go? Did you end up getting a boat?