Late report from N.T.

Yowie

After leaving the north of W.A., crossed into the Northern Territory and stopped at Timber Creek on the Victoria River. A guided tour of the river revealed quite a few crocs sitting along the banks, both Salties and Freshies - the Freshies keep their distance from the Salties.

Stopped a bit out from Katherine, and fished in a creek near the Katherine River, near the van park. There were a few fish to catch, but while I was fishing, the resident Freshie popped up near me and kept an eye on me for a while. He was about 2 metres long and was known to grab hooked fish from anyone's line. He sported a blue coloured lure in his jaw for a while after pinching someone's fish. I moved as there were no fish biting. A bit further away from him had a few little bites using more prawns, then hooked up to something better. A 45 cm catfish, a disappointment thinking it might have been a plate sized fish. The biggest freshwater catfish I have caught, though caught much bigger ones in saltwater.

The next day, I found a small waterfall along the river, about a metre drop, dropped a prawn at the bottom of the waterfall, then a hard hit and pulled out a 33cm Sooty Grunter. Biggest one I caught on the trip, and found in other locations that they would be sitting at the bottom of a waterfall waiting for a feed. Kept this one for the table, reasonably good eating for a freshwater fish.fish.jpeg_150.thumb.png.f2c453467b47d8fd9637c3b825a843b0.png

• Like 4

A few days later, set up near the Daly River. Headed off to the Daly River Crossing for a fish while the wife wandered off looking for crocs, as there were a few about. Scared herself when she walked around a large rock, and found a 3 metre Saltie having a sun bake on the bank. Fortunately the croc took off into the water. No fish on lures.

Tried the Crossing the next day with a few more prawns, for more small Sooty Grunter, also feeding at the bottom of the water flowing over the Crossing spillway.

Headed to near Darwin for over a week, no fishing as no vacancies on the fishing charters I contacted, so just enjoyed the various attractions around the area. While there, Operation Pitch Black was happening. About dozen countries were invited to take part in Australia's Air Force war games. The jets flew over the van park every morning on take off from the nearby air base, the noise was deafening. While there, an Open Day was held where visitors could view the various planes, and talk to the pilots and ground crews. Very worthwhile. The biggest of the transport planes had a wingspan of 53 metres, half the length of a rugby league field.

Did not see any crocs in Darwin Harbour, however, there are croc traps all around the Harbour. The local paper records the number caught during the year, and from 1st January to 1st August this year, 240 crocs were trapped and re-located as they are protected. One thing about the N.T. is it is always very warm to hot all year, but no swimming anywhere at all - can be a health hazard to yourself.

Katherine had a large problem Saltie for several years, even though it is about 300 kms south of Darwin, on a freshwater river. National Parks finally pulled out their finger and laid a few croc traps around the town. 4 Salties trapped in 8 days, 2.4 m, 3 m, 3.5 m, and the biggy at 4.7 metres. All re-located, and it was a surprise to all  that there were 4 caught.

While I was in the Daly River area, I had a fish at a couple of locations along the bank back from the edge. People would fish one side and these were on the other side of the river bank. He looked about 12 feet long, which is around 3.5 metres. fish.jpeg_155.png.632ebdd0a193edd3c207e3bd8b430cdd.png

• Like 7

Headed south from Darwin and stayed at Berry Springs. Thinking this was my last chance to have a Barra fish, I contacted a fishing guide. His boat was out of action, but he and his mate had purchased a Fish Farm. 1 pond about 50 metres long, and a couple more ponds about 200 metres long. The 50 was the main fishing pond. $90 for 2 hours fishing, and guaranteed to catch a fish. :unsure: Heard that story before from charter operators.

He had a spot left, as he does not allow many people to fish at the one time, so gave it a go. He provided rods and reels, but I used my own, and he recommended minimum 15 pound line due to a couple of larger Barra in the pond.

So I used soft plastic prawns, fish, frog poppers but not a hit for an hour's fishing. The owner said the wind put the fish off the bite, but he had a trick up his sleeve. He feeds the fish pellets, which are about 1cm across and dark grey in colour, and they float on the surface. He tossed out a handful of pellets and the water came alive with Barra. A couple around the metre mark but mostly smaller fish, smashing the surface and a few leaping clear of the water to grab the pellets, just like a feeding frenzy of tailor or tuna.

Threw out a selection of lures each time he lobbed out some pellets, but not a touch. The family fishing there with me were not getting a touch either, so the owner gave them another selection of rods with bobby corks. The hook used was about a 1/0 size brown colour with 2 slices in the shank. On the hook he would thread a piece of foam, the same size and colour as the floating pellets. The wind made casting difficult for this family, but after a few casts into the pellets, they pulled in 2 Barra about 50cms, netted and released.

I pulled the little whiting rod out of the car, a small 2000 model reel with 6 pound mono (a bit less than 3 kg B/S) and added a little bubble float. The owner gave me a hook with foam lure and I tied it on. Thought I may as well have some fun. Lobbed out the line into the feeding frenzy, but the fish were not interested. About a dozen casts later, the float bobbed under, I lifted the rod tip and fish on. No jumping, but the Barra bored away, towards a big float in the middle of the pond, then towards the water inlet pipe. It made the reel buzz. I was standing on a wooden deck and the Barra headed under there so I had to drag it out. A good fight on the light line and into the net. Not a big one at 56cms, but a solid fish just over 2 kgs. Kept if for the table, and one of the best Barra feeds I have eaten.

Not the same as stalking a Barra in the wild, but it was not just a matter of throwing out a line and pulling one in straight away. fish.jpeg_151.thumb.png.94c1e2d638e7c12b2a59ce4e749c0b94.png

• Like 6

Headed towards N.S.W. and stopped at a few spots. At Nyngan, the Bogan River had some water in it, about 2 metres deep but not flowing. There were a few Yellowbelly to be caught, plus carp. A couple of blokes who had camped in the van park beside the river managed to find a few baby crayfish in a trap, so kept them alive. They pulled out a few Yellowbelly, but, their fishing style was to hook up a cray, lob it out, place the rod over a stick and a bell on the rod tip and wait for a tingle from the bell. They sat and drank and ate, just waiting for a bite that might take several hours.

I cut off a few strips from chicken fillets I had in the fridge, lobbed them out, and used soft plastics for not a bite. During the late afternoon, I saw a few carp feeding on the surface. I throw out a few bread crusts and the carp eventually ate them. I hooked up a crust, lobbed it out and some time later a carp sucked it down. Set the hook and was surprised by the fight it put up. It was 59 cm long, bigger than what I thought it would be, the biggest I have caught.

The fighting fish scared off the others for a while, but eventually they returned to feeding on the surface so I lobbed out another bread crust. A carp sucked it down, set the hook and 15 pound mono could not stop it. It headed along the river for a while, then into tree roots growing in the water and busted off. Much bigger than the first one.

A speed boat and water skier turned up and that was the end of fishing.

It was an enjoyable 5 months away, now to get back to some local fishing.fish.jpeg_152.thumb.png.8cb3b685f1f81f26df71e446112035eb.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Yet another great write up yowie! Look forward to your next reports on your home turf! There should be plenty of fish in the hacking since you’ve been gone for 5 months! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thank you Scratchie.

Just a few fish would be nice.

Many thanks for sharing your "round Australia" fishing /holiday experiences with us Yowie. Lots of great firsts and a few pleasant surprises. Reading your reports reminded me that no matter how good a location is supposed to be, it's how you find it at a particular time that is relevant. Most places fish just like the places that we are familiar with...sometimes good, sometimes terrible. Local knowledge is a big factor though as you would be well aware. Good to read your account of the Mud Marlin and how much of a fight they put up. Something I've thought for a long time as I target them during the Murray Cod closed season.

Good to see you back anyway and we can look forward to your reports from the local waterways before they all get closed. Cheers, bn

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

Many thanks for sharing your "round Australia" fishing /holiday experiences with us Yowie. Lots of great firsts and a few pleasant surprises. Reading your reports reminded me that no matter how good a location is supposed to be, it's how you find it at a particular time that is relevant. Most places fish just like the places that we are familiar with...sometimes good, sometimes terrible. Local knowledge is a big factor though as you would be well aware. Good to read your account of the Mud Marlin and how much of a fight they put up. Something I've thought for a long time as I target them during the Murray Cod closed season.

Good to see you back anyway and we can look forward to your reports from the local waterways before they all get closed. Cheers, bn

Thank you Big Neil.

It was a good trip, could have stayed longer but had to come home some time. Just under 25,000 kms of driving.

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

BBIIIGGGG Country, that's for sure. bn

Check this out. A few European tourists ask if they can drive from Sydney to Perth in 1 day, or drive around Australia in 2 weeks.  :wacko:   fish.jpeg_156.png.57797d40c48aa89143af72c80a2a0401.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Great reports Yowie.

Sounds like you had an awesome time ! We really do live in a beautiful country. 

Iv always wanted to do a trip like that but can never seem to convince the mrs....maybe when the kids get older and more independent 

Head off without the missus. You will have a good time, but be in deep shit when you return.  :lol:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice repot yowie :biggrinthumb:

What was the snooty like to eat?

It was fairly good for a fresh water fish. Not too soft but reasonably firm flesh, no muddy flavour as they usually inhabit clear water.

2 hours ago, Mr Squidy said:

Looks like a great trip Yowie with some cracking fish, particularly that Jewie. Always find it especially rewarding putting your fishing skills to use in places you are totally unfamiliar with and getting a result. 

Cheers,

Rich

I was happy with all fish I caught, but especially the jewie due to the difficult circumstances in the darkness.

6 hours ago, sam bros said:

Great report Yowie, It felt like i was on the trip with you

Whats your set up like? Caravan or camper trailer?

18 ft Caravan. Not a big one compared to others, but easier to tow and reverse into some of the difficult spots in caravan parks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Caravanning is a lot of fun isn’t it. We have a 19 ft van and love being on he road. 

Same with us Donna.

Still have plenty of places to visit, or re-visit. At times I would rather be towing the van in the country than driving in peak hour in a city.