Thank you.

big Neil

I want to extend a very big thank you to Derek D, Ryder and Frank S. I have just returned home after a week plus trip to Sydney and these 3 Raiders have more than gone out of their way to provide me with some quality time. Unfortunately the fishing aspect was a little light on, in terms of results, but certainly not in effort expended. The depth of knowledge and expertise that these guys have (and are willing to share) is truly amazing. I learned heaps of new techniques and got to put them into practice. THANK YOU! 

It was also great to catch up with some of the other highly experienced Sydney anglers as we shared some time together at the water's edge. Hopefully, my plans for another trip in February will produce some more tuition and improved results.

The offer for you guys to visit the bush and catch some Murray Cod is there, after December 1st. Cheers for now, bn

• Like 1

Great stuff BN! 

There are some truly great fishraiders out and these 3 guys are no exception! 

Fishing wise, you probably picked the worst month to catch fish but nothing beats getting a line wet with good company. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 1

Neil. Although I didn't get on the water with you it was good to spend some time together and it's a pleasure to have you stay here whenever you are in the big smoke.

And I look forward to coming down in December so you can put me onto some green fish.

Frank

• Thanks 1

Hi Neil,

Was an absolute pleasure having your company for the day and I'd be more than happy to do it again the next time you make it up here. I think we covered enough on the theory that we should spend more time on the practical next time. Awesome result on the squid with you putting six in the bag. Shame the kings were not playing in the shore based locations we tried but as we head towards the end of the year we should see them in far greater numbers.

Another month and a bit and I am looking forward to your Murray Cod photos and adventures.

Regards,

Derek

• Thanks 1

BN, please hit me up next time you come this way! If it’s in February, Port Stephens is on fire that time of year! I’ll be more than happy to have you stay for a night or two! We might even catch a few fish! Lol ? 

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

You would love it jeff  neil is a great bloke  we spent a day on tuggerah  he is a true fisherman  and a wealth of knowledge

He would love it too Rick! That’s time of year I could almost guarantee to stretch his arms ?

• Like 3

You guys are ALL top anglers in your own right. I am humbled to read the generous offers being put forward. More importantly, I still have a bucket list of Saltwater species to tick off... and a "keeper" Kingfish is at the top of that list. Mahi Mahi and Tuna type species also feature, near the top. I read on here the detailed struggles of numerous anglers who have been fortunate enough to catch a decent Kingfish, and I would love to have that experience myself. In the meantime, it's a mere 35 days till the Murray Cod season opens. Hopefully, they've all been doing their thing and producing the future stocks that are so vital for these iconic species. I'm looking forward to Frank coming down here and spending some times on the ever tranquil Murrumbidgee River. It will be fun.

All being well I will be back in Sydney early next year and definitely want to shorten the Angling bucket list. Squid are no longer on the list (thanks Derek). I am really looking forward to catching up with some of you and will add some sort of schedule when I know more definite plans. A short trip north from Sydney seems very achievable. Once again many, many thanks for being so generous. I'LL BE BACK!     Cheers, bn

ps what is the best way to cook Kingfish? I've heard that they are a good table fish too.

IMG_9349rs.jpg.e0afcf26318f285930b794ea249362c2.jpgIMG_9357rs.jpg.77ee52152322ec4d5116edb7953d1860.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Scratchie said:

He would love it too Rick! That’s time of year I could almost guarantee to stretch his arms ?

Any chance of stretching the rest of my body so that I look normal? If not, I'll settle for the arm stretching. bn

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, big Neil said:

ps what is the best way to cook Kingfish? I've heard that they are a good table fish too.

Earlier in the year when the kings escaped from the Huon pens, I got my bag limit of nice fat kingfish and got to try them different ways.

Sashimi was beautiful. ? A little bit of light soy sauce and some wasabi. ? ? 

Cooked straight on the bbq grill/plate was next. ? Also tried lightly floured. Yum ? And in a beer batter. Yum ? My mother-in-law put some big chunks in a curry. ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Earlier in the year when the kings escaped from the Huon pens, I got my bag limit of nice fat kingfish and got to try them different ways.

Sashimi was beautiful. ? A little bit of light soy sauce and some wasabi. ? ? 

Cooked straight on the bbq grill/plate was next. ? Also tried lightly floured. Yum ? And in a beer batter. Yum ? My mother-in-law put some big chunks in a curry. ? 

Any of you blokes need a decky?

I'll be up in the port for a couple of weeks in February & would love to go for a trip outside with you guys, or even meet up at some point..

Kingfish is a very versatile fish & apart from the ways Baz is suggesting which are all great ways to eat it one of my favourite ways to eat it is cured(usually sugar cured), very similarly to salmon & the way you do a gravlax.

You can use many different flavourings like lemon & orange zest(peeled with a peeler so not to colour the fish) & with say Vodka or I also do another one that after its cure I dust it with pastrami spices.

Here's a version I did for an event a while a go.

Kingfish.JPG

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Any of you blokes need a decky?

I'll be up in the port for a couple of weeks in February & would love to go for a trip outside with you guys, or even meet up at some point..

Kingfish is a very versatile fish & apart from the ways Baz is suggesting which are all great ways to eat it one of my favourite ways to eat it is cured(usually sugar cured), very similarly to salmon & the way you do a gravlax.

You can use many different flavourings like lemon & orange zest(peeled with a peeler so not to colour the fish) & with say Vodka or I also do another one that after its cure I dust it with pastrami spices.

Here's a version I did for an event a while a go.

Kingfish.JPG

You would have to be a chef...or very accomplished in the kitchen. Top job. All I gotta do is catch one. bn

• Like 1