Broke down on hacking last night

Fab1

1 minute ago, zmk1962 said:

Time to reassemble. Grab a cold one to steady the nerves and fire her up!

Already assembled an hr ago mate.Ill run it tomorrow because I've been up since 2pm yesterday,worked  12hrs last night and my brain is fried.?

3 minutes ago, Noo2OzFish said:

You should start your own repair service Fab..  Your attention to detail far exceeds most shops I imagine

Cheers mate,I Take pride in doing a good job and have a never give up attitude until ive exhausted all avenues.

16 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Yup that would explain the bulb going soft - but not the plugs being wet. Unless there are two independent problems at same time. 

Plugs being wet does not necessarily mean it’s running rich/ overfueled.

Fab keeps his stuff in top condition and his engine isn’t that old or well used. I reckon it’s something simple like bad fuel or obstructed air/ leak maybe. 

4 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Have you pumped some fuel into a glass jar to make sure it doesn’t have any water?

im just guessing easy things to check especially after all the rain we have had.

Yeah mate,no water in both fuel or garage.Draining the carby into a clean container was the first thing i did to check for water. 

3 hours ago, Hateanchors said:

Plugs being wet does not necessarily mean it’s running rich/ overfueled.

Fab keeps his stuff in top condition and his engine isn’t that old or well used. I reckon it’s something simple like bad fuel or obstructed air/ leak maybe. 

Yes,running rich can be caused by many things.

Ok,fired her up first kick in drum,checked/set ignition timing,carburetor pilot screw,and idle and seems to be running like this model engine runs from new.

Only thing to do now is go fishing tonight and test her out.

Heres a short video of her running. 

cheers.

2 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Ok,fired her up first kick in drum,checked/set ignition timing,carburetor pilot screw,and idle and seems to be running like this model engine runs from new.

Only thing to do now is go fishing tonight and test her out.

Awesome news mate. Glad she’s running smooth. Best if luck with the fish. 

Cheers

Zoran

Hi Fab, thanks for the very interesting post. I hope that your troubles are over and you can get some quality time spent on the water. One thing your post has done for me is this. The Cod season is fast approaching and I've not used my boat for quite some time. Your post has jolted me back to reality...a reality where I assume that everything will be ok on day one. Today I'm going to give the boat a once over and check that the motor is running well and everything is where it's supposed to be. I know how meticulous you are with your gear, and yet you were caught unawares. Reason enough for me to take nothing for granted and check everything out. Cheers mate, bn

7 hours ago, Noo2OzFish said:

Hope you catch heaps mate!!!  ohh and your motor keeps running too lol

Well,i do too.As  for fishing this mission has been aborted this morning due to the crap weather.Ill go out wed night,thur morning or thurs night depending on weather. 

Did i mention i love shift work.It's one step down from retirement on the fishing front i guess.lol.

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi Fab, thanks for the very interesting post. I hope that your troubles are over and you can get some quality time spent on the water. One thing your post has done for me is this. The Cod season is fast approaching and I've not used my boat for quite some time. Your post has jolted me back to reality...a reality where I assume that everything will be ok on day one. Today I'm going to give the boat a once over and check that the motor is running well and everything is where it's supposed to be. I know how meticulous you are with your gear, and yet you were caught unawares. Reason enough for me to take nothing for granted and check everything out. Cheers mate, bn

Cheers mate.Anything can and will break down at anytime mate.Even brand new cars,boats,etc.Looking after them just lessons the chances.

3 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Anything can and will break down at anytime mate.

Case in point. Yesterday. Towed the boat home. Reversed in driveway. Unhitched. Drove car 1m forward. Unpacked and washed boat and gear. Jumped back in car to move it. Dead battery !!!!  It’s still sitting in front of boat.

i'm so lucky it started at ramp and broke down in my driveway. 

Cheers

Zoran

Edited by zmk1962
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Case in point. Yesterday. Towed the boat home. Reversed in driveway. Unhitched. Drove car 1m forward. Unpacked and washed boat and gear. Jumped back in car to move it. Dead battery !!!!  It’s still sitting in front of boat.

i'm so lucky it started at ramp and broke down in my driveway. 

Cheers

Zoran

Surprised no charge light didn't come on.Well,i guess your up for a new alternator or battery.

31 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I had problem with bulb goin soft  bought new end for fuel line where it attached to motor  the o ring in the connector was stuffed  6 bucks for new connector  problem solved

Those o-rings take 2 sec to replace with a new one. I replaced mine the other day with a stash i have just for that purpose as well as others in the shed.I keep spares of everything as i hate stuffing around going to shops ordering online20181028_110321.thumb.jpg.494f305a42e1649ce0e897fdbcafd2ce.jpg etc.lol

13 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I have oring kit but its in storage  was quiker to buy one

Yeah,sometimes it is.The other day i was looking for one of many Stanley knives i have and couldn't find them so bought one.

A few days laterthey magically appeared.lol.20181028_112351.thumb.jpg.f069b7671f6cdb34f566f54a21183249.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Surprised no charge light didn't come on.Well,i guess your up for a new alternator or battery.

Dead battery - yesterday the dash voltmeter was reading 11.2  and dropped to 10.6 when I turned the key.   Well the battery was 5 1/2yrs old but kicking on without missing a beat ... until....

Anyway, NRMA guy just left ... new battery installed - all good for another 5 1/2yrs  I hope !

Cheers

Z

• Like 1

Just now, zmk1962 said:

Dead battery - yesterday the dash voltmeter was reading 11.2  and dropped to 10.6 when I turned the key.   Well the battery was 5 1/2yrs old but kicking on without missing a beat ... until....

Anyway, NRMA guy just left ... new battery installed - all good for another 5 1/2yrs  I hope !

Cheers

Z

Hope you do mate.I got 7 out of my hilux original battery and am on 8yrs with this one i installed.my utes a 2003.

Well today I did a once over on the boat and wish to report that everything went A1. Even the motor started first pull with the "ears" on it. Tomorrow I'll check all the fishing gear, particularly line, knots, correct size hooks and sinkers for what should be a day one attack on the Murray Cod. The only problem may be insufficient water in the river, as there is zero % water allocation at present and the river is still low. Very little chance of rain too. Not going to stop me from fishing though, as I have a million spots to fish from the bank if the boat isn't an option. Getting excited. bn

22 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Well today I did a once over on the boat and wish to report that everything went A1. Even the motor started first pull with the "ears" on it. Tomorrow I'll check all the fishing gear, particularly line, knots, correct size hooks and sinkers for what should be a day one attack on the Murray Cod. The only problem may be insufficient water in the river, as there is zero % water allocation at present and the river is still low. Very little chance of rain too. Not going to stop me from fishing though, as I have a million spots to fish from the bank if the boat isn't an option. Getting excited. bn

Good luck mate.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well,just got back from a night fish and pleased to report that my motor is running great with one minor hiccup.It was hard to start after stopping for an hr or so to fish.Tried no choke,choke,fast idle lever,no lever until i primed bulb and it finally started.

The second time i stopped to fish i thought I'd pump the bulb before doing anything and it fired right up at the slightest touch of the key without anything.

Im suspecting an air leak or perhaps weak fuel pump.