Parramatta River sewage spill

mrsswordfisherman

Hey @blindmullet  please don't take this the wrong way .... its probably just me showing my age... but does anyone else find it somewhat funny to read  "blindmullet"  and "sewage spill" in the same topic ....

... as a kid I just remember we'd always be wary of  blindmullets swimming off Sydney beaches that were near the old sewage outflows - especially when the king tides were on ! ....   BAHAHA...

Z

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey @blindmullet  please don't take this the wrong way .... its probably just me showing my age... but does anyone else find it somewhat funny to read  "blindmullet"  and "sewage spill" in the same topic ....

... as a kid I just remember we'd always be wary of  blindmullets swimming off Sydney beaches that were near the old sewage outflows - especially when the king tides were on ! ....   BAHAHA...

Z

Your the first to mention the 'blindmullet' HAHAHA

I thought it was funny when signing up

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Z

Hi Zoran when I was a kid they told me "blindmullet" was the best bait to you use at the murk, when I asked where you could get some they told me "it's local bait- you get it at the spot"- I had no idea and the older fisho's got a fair few laughs telling me how to put it on/rig up etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Zoran when I was a kid they told me "blindmullet" was the best bait to you use at the murk, when I asked where you could get some they told me "it's local bait- you get it at the spot"- I had no idea and the older fisho's got a fair few laughs telling me how to put it on/rig up etc

HAHAHA  I bet ! .... yeah - just think of how you would go about collecting a live blindmullet !!!!!  ?

Oh dear... I feel I have completely destroyed Donna's post.

• Like 2

Hi GoingFishing the 'mullet' referred to is actually an undissolved number 2 that has 'escaped' the 'filtering' at the treatment plant. Also known as "Bondi cigars" "King Browns" "Manly Surfers" etc.  They were often observed "schooling-up" along Bondi beach during strong N/East winds and at Manly beach during strong S/Easter's. Not a good look for 2 of Australia's most famous beaches and definitely not something you wanted to encounter while in the water, more feared than a bluebottle....

• Haha 3

On 10/30/2018 at 9:45 AM, mrsswordfisherman said:

There's seems to be little point in posting a serious topic about the failure of waste management Donna. It gives me the $h1t$ how these lot kick the crap out of your well-informed post. bn

9 hours ago, big Neil said:

There's seems to be little point in posting a serious topic about the failure of waste management Donna. It gives me the $h1t$ how these lot kick the crap out of your well-informed post. bn

Awww Thank you Neil - they are chit kickers heh heh

I shared it because I thought members should know what happens with our waterways - good or bad. 

@zmk1962 destroyer of posts! Might change your display name to zmURk1962 ??:hitsfan:

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Awww Thank you Neil - they are chit kickers heh heh

I shared it because I thought members should know what happens with our waterways - good or bad. 

@zmk1962 destroyer of posts! Might change your display name to zmURk1962 ??:hitsfan:

My apologies mrsswordfisherman I didn't mean to derail your important post, just found Zoran's comment funny and haven't heard the blindmullet term for many years. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

It gives me the $h1t$ how these lot kick the crap out

Well blow me down... and here I thought that @big Neil was being tongue in cheek and joining our light hearted take on the matter with his succinct reply referencing "$hit$" and "crap"  ...  aka  the mullets  mentioned previously ! 

Apologies Neil ... I always thought it an enviable Aussie trait to raise awareness by making light of an otherwise ugly situation !  It doesn't mean we care less !

Cheers  ...the renamed  zmURk1962

PS1  - isn't it amazing how in less than one generation we've lost that slang - I guess it basically means the issue that spawned it no longer exists - maybe its time to reintroduce it when we speak to the Council and Utilities about the matter - their negligence has caused the resurgence of this obnoxious and invasive species ! 

PS2 -

16 hours ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi GoingFishing the 'mullet' referred to is actually an undissolved number 2 that has 'escaped' the 'filtering' at the treatment plant. Also as "Bondi cigars" "King Browns" "Manly Surfers" etc.  They were often observed "schooling-up" along Bondi beach during strong N/East winds and at Manly beach during strong S/Easter's. Not a good look for 2 of Australia's most famous beaches and definitely not something you wanted to encounter while in the water, more feared than a bluebottle....

@wazatherfisherman ... you should submit this to wikipedia as the official explanation !

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Well blow me down... and here I thought that @big Neil was being tongue in cheek and joining our light hearted take on the matter with his succinct reply referencing "$hit$" and "crap"  ...  aka  the mullets  mentioned previously ! 

Apologies Neil ... I always thought it an enviable Aussie trait to raise awareness by making light of an otherwise ugly situation !  It doesn't mean we care less !

Cheers  ...the renamed  zmURk1962

PS1  - isn't it amazing how in less than one generation we've lost that slang - I guess it basically means the issue that spawned it no longer exists - maybe its time to reintroduce it when we speak to the Council and Utilities about the matter - their negligence has caused the resurgence of this obnoxious and invasive species ! 

PS2 -

@wazatherfisherman ... you should submit this to wikipedia as the official explanation !

And to think that I used to swim very regularly ar Bondi when I first came to Oz...completely oblivious of the MURK. Bit of a problem once I did find out. Had to make a decision... Swim there or not? Like thousands of others, I chose to swim there. Bit of difference with the leakage into the river though, not much of a tidal influence there. It sometimes surprises me that we humans carry out our daily routines without much consideration for the impact that we have...all the waste which we create has to go somewhere. Cheers from the tongue in cheek bn

• Like 1

Having spent most of my infrastructure construction career in the water industry, I can say that Sydney Water would have to be within the top 5%  socially, environmentally and community responsible organisations within the country. They spend billions of dollars each year on capital expenditure to maintain quality of life, improving wastewater treatment, securing water sources, preventing stormwater runoff and securing failing/aging infrastructure.

The spill into Parramatta River was unfortunate, but due to old infrastructure. Sounds terrible, but in the long term, the effects of this spill will pale into insignificance when compared to the long term good they achieve for the waterways within this modern, urban city with a population of +5M people. 

Edited by seasponge
typo
  • Thanks 2

Always learning from this site. AMAZING! I too didn't know what a blind mullet, King Brown, Bondi Cigar were. Hysterical Wazas description of them schooling up at the beach.

To the newly named zmurk1962. I totally agree with you about the typical Ocker sense of humour. It's one of the most endearing characteristics that migrants to this country must learn to accept, and learn to live with. It's one of the main attractions, like the Harbour Bridge and Opera House.

To seasponge. I'm sure that Sydney water do a fine job mate but can you clarify your assessment of the population (+2B people)? I thought that Sydney had something in the region of 5 million and the entire country about 26 million.

Cheers all, bn

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, big Neil said:

can you clarify your assessment of the population (+2B people)? I thought that Sydney had something in the region of 5 million and the entire country about 26 million.

Yeah a typo, i realised after i hit send and edited the post 

7 hours ago, big Neil said:

And to think that I used to swim very regularly ar Bondi when I first came to Oz...completely oblivious of the MURK. Bit of a problem once I did find out. Had to make a decision... Swim there or not? Like thousands of others, I chose to swim there. Bit of difference with the leakage into the river though, not much of a tidal influence there. It sometimes surprises me that we humans carry out our daily routines without much consideration for the impact that we have...all the waste which we create has to go somewhere. Cheers from the tongue in cheek bn

Hi Neil it was generally regarded as ok to swim at Bondi unless there was a big N/easterly blowing which would blow the murk water in to the beach. If you stood up on the cliffs to the north or were in a boat travelling close in along the coast you could really see the 2 distinct coloured waters. 

You could travel along the visible line and see thousands of fish sitting just under and along this line- known as the "murk line"- on calm days, trolling small white "Firetails" and "Canada Jigs" you could usually catch as many fish as you wanted to- mostly Trevally that would dart out from under the "opaque" greeny edge and grab the small lures usually really close to the boat. Sometimes the schools were so enormous the fish were visible for more than a km, until the murk line dissipated  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1