Brisbane Waters Lizards

tyrone07

G’day guys, with a few days off mid week I made the most of the conditions and had a flick around the local. Flicked a variety of soft vibes and plastics mixing it up between 3-4inch paddle tails and changing the weights to match the depth and tides I managed to put a number of fish in the boat. Majority of the fish were smaller around the 45-50 Cm mark but were in good numbers. Managed to get a 75cm female late In the arvo which after a quick happy snap was released. Now is the time to get out to your local estuary, tie on a plastic and have a flick.

2DEB869C-7A87-4FB3-9E80-08AD843FF7D2.jpeg

79697909-B75B-4900-8DEA-7E1ABB68D43F.jpeg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Beautiful fish!!

How do you know it was a female by the way?

it may well and truly have been a male but it is widely accepted that males platuea around the 49-54cm range, I have a personal limit that I release any fish over 60cms regardless ?

• Like 2

Nice fish Tyrone! 

In regards to whether the fish is male or female is debatable now as you have released it! 

However, from my understanding after much research and plenty of discussions with my mates in fisheries, a flathead is not an Asexual fish and does not change sex on size limit. It could very well have been male or female but it is commonly recognised that most fish of that size are “breeders”. 

Either way your decision on C&R is totally up to you but nice lizard you found there! Always good to get amongst them! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

From what I have found in the few fish I catch, the male flatties are usually smaller in size than the females.

I cannot remember one male in the larger flatties I have cut open  -  around 55cms plus.

Great to hear the flatties are about in Brisbane Water.

Tuggerah Lake has also picked up in the past 2 weeks with plenty about - I think the warmer weather and plenty of rain has made a difference. Heading out tomorrow so hopefully its flathead for dinner again.

Nice flaty there buddy, good on u for releasing IT?? Great pics

They should be on the chew soon down here, I have been waiting till today's heat to get the water warmer 

Im the same , anything over 60 I prefer to release, male or female, as they don't eat as well as the 40-60 models and more importantly breeders are released so my son can hopefully fish daddy's spots when he gets older and continue have success 

• Like 1