Fish Shop Fish - Cooking Methods

fragmeister

I thought I would offer some advice about cooking methods for shop bought fish.

1) Purchase the fish of your choice.

2) Coat in batter , deep or shallow fry.

3) Give it to the cat to eat!

Every so often, when I have not been able to get out to fish I get a-hankerin' for some fish and chips.

So I go to the fish shop and get myself some of the freshest looking fish I can find.

Like I did tonight... fried it up quickly in some tempura batter for just 5 minutes...

The batter was light and crispy and the fish was mush...

Never again! Why do I never learn!

Perhaps as fishermen, we are spoiled but it occurs to me that if that is what's on offer for the average Joe who doesn't go fishing it's not surprising that

many people don't like fish.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

I am not the greatest cook around but my mate in Bermagui is a great fish cook, he makes the best tasting batter I have ever had, asked him several times how he makes it but I just can't seem to get it right. I know he adds some vanilla essence somewhere along the process.

Jim what's your secret to a good batter, and I know the old saying Beer batter, but apart from beer what do you do ?.

BTW Drop in any time you are in the area I have some quick release clips I made I want you to try out for me, I think they would be excellent on Kingies.

Frank

Edited by frankS

Just now, masterfisho7 said:

I catch fish take a photo and put them back into the water only eat fish from fish shops

Then you may be missing something very special!

If you have never tried fish caught that day and killed properly and iced down then give it a  try.

Edited by fragmeister

Just now, frankS said:

I am not the greatest cook around but my mate in Bermagui is a great fish cook, he makes the best tasting batter I have ever had, asked him several times how he makes it but I just can't seem to get it right. I know he adds some vanilla essence somewhere along the process.

Jim what's your secret to a good batter, and I know the old saying Beer batter, but apart from beer what do you do ?.

BTW Drop in any time you are in the area I have some quick release clips I made I want you to try out for me, I think they would be excellent on Kingies.

Frank

No worries Frank as soon as I get the opportunity I'll drop in.

As far as the batter goes, I don't like thick batter like you would find in a fish shop. To me it just tastes all batter and oil - some people like that... I peel it all off or buy it crumbed instead     I just use a Tempura batter that I buy in a packet from woollies. I have made my own but the packet one is pretty good.  

ADAMChef ( haven't seen him around for a while but the post will be here somewhere) gave a recipe he used in his restaurant where I think it was 50/50 flour and cornflour with perhaps beer of soda water in the mix.  It was a very good recipe so for most peoples tastes that is the one I would go for if you can find it.

Cheers

Jim

Just now, savit said:

It is not just shop fish mate, most meats, vegies and fruits too. 

That's true enough.

I don't have the time any more but at one stage I grew all my own veggies,  caught my own fish and kept chooks.

I was pretty independent the food department for a number of years .

With the time pressures of work and my business, plus to screen the town house developments around me I got rid of the food production areas and landscaped the block planting trees and shrubs all along the boundaries.... it's a bit hard to go back now... I would need to chop down a lot of trees to let enough light in for a decent veggie patch.

house.JPG.b55912af18bd2415e7f959623ca107b5.JPG

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, savit said:

It is not just shop fish mate, most meats, vegies and fruits too. 

I think what you are referring to you is really have to be selective no matter what you are shopping for!

Personally as a chef I think its a bit like searching for a quality providore , building a relationship with them to ensure you are getting what is fresh on the market. for your restaurant so the same goes for what I want to eat at home.

There is no way in hell I would ever buy any seafood from a store like coles or woolies but from a dedicated seafood supplier well that's different BUT you have to know all the signs of freshness & again personally I will only buy whole fish so I can see the eyes & inspect the fish! 

If I want something specific that I know I cant catch or from another state then I go to the Sydney fish market but we don't all have the luxury of doing that, still your local guy with notice should get you into something decent :biggrinthumb:

I am by no means the greatest fish chef in the world. Yet I have ruined several friends' ability to enjoy store bought fish.  

From the moment I decide to keep a fish I treat it with the utmost respect to ensure it is in the best possible condition.  I kill it quickly, get it on the ice straight away.  When I get home I sorry it the catch, then the boat and gear.  I will either cook it or vac pack it within hours.  

Commercial operators just can't treat it with the same care.  And it takes much longer to get to the fish shop.

One friend I gave fish to a couple of weeks ago is now in the market for a boat.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I use the 50/50 plain and cornflour but use ginger beer  the sugar in it makes your batter brown up nicely without overcooking fish

nice one! I like that idea.

On thin fillets this can be a problem so that is a great idea to make it look more appetising.

21 hours ago, kiwicraig said:

I am by no means the greatest fish chef in the world. Yet I have ruined several friends' ability to enjoy store bought fish.  

From the moment I decide to keep a fish I treat it with the utmost respect to ensure it is in the best possible condition.  I kill it quickly, get it on the ice straight away.  When I get home I sorry it the catch, then the boat and gear.  I will either cook it or vac pack it within hours.  

Commercial operators just can't treat it with the same care.  And it takes much longer to get to the fish shop.

One friend I gave fish to a couple of weeks ago is now in the market for a boat.

Yep.. that says it all!

I used to do my flathead fillets in beer batter, but lately have moved to panko bread crumbs. I think they give a better result for smaller fillets.

The key to a crispy batter is to cook it long enough to get all the moisture out of it (the batter, not the fish), so if the fillets are small, either the fish will be overcooked, or the batter will be soggy by the time you eat it. Ideally, you want to be able to cook them until the bubbles coming off them (that's the water cooking out of the batter) have died down. Not easy on smaller fillets. 

So for smaller fillets, I dust em in flour, dip them in beaten egg, then roll in panko breadcrumbs. They don't take as long in the fryer to crisp up so you get a good result without overcooking the fish. Panko breadcrumbs are a Japanese style, available in any supermarket, but give a better result than standard breadcrumbs.

For larger fillets, a good beer batter made out of flour, salt, and Cooper's Pale Ale (nothing but the best ?). I've tried self raising flour, which can give a good crunch, but it balloons up and give a smooth coating, not a nice rough coating. The 50/50 flour/cornflour is a good option. I'll fry 2 pieces at a time in rice bran oil, then at the end, I toss them all back in for a second fry for about 30 sec to really crisp up the batter.

And I'll always drain my fried fish on a wire rack, not on paper towel. I find draining on a paper towel only makes the batter soggy on the bottom. 

If you're looking for a quick sauce to go with it, here's my recipe - https://www.fishraider.com.au/topic/88014-easy-make-sauce-for-your-flathead-fillets/

Edited by seasponge
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/5/2018 at 8:29 AM, seasponge said:

I used to do my flathead fillets in beer batter, but lately have moved to panko bread crumbs. I think they give a better result for smaller fillets.

The key to a crispy batter is to cook it long enough to get all the moisture out of it (the batter, not the fish), so if the fillets are small, either the fish will be overcooked, or the batter will be soggy by the time you eat it. Ideally, you want to be able to cook them until the bubbles coming off them (that's the water cooking out of the batter) have died down. Not easy on smaller fillets. 

So for smaller fillets, I dust em in flour, dip them in beaten egg, then roll in panko breadcrumbs. They don't take as long in the fryer to crisp up so you get a good result without overcooking the fish. Panko breadcrumbs are a Japanese style, available in any supermarket, but give a better result than standard breadcrumbs.

For larger fillets, a good beer batter made out of flour, salt, and Cooper's Pale Ale (nothing but the best ?). I've tried self raising flour, which can give a good crunch, but it balloons up and give a smooth coating, not a nice rough coating. The 50/50 flour/cornflour is a good option. I'll fry 2 pieces at a time in rice bran oil, then at the end, I toss them all back in for a second fry for about 30 sec to really crisp up the batter.

And I'll always drain my fried fish on a wire rack, not on paper towel. I find draining on a paper towel only makes the batter soggy on the bottom. 

If you're looking for a quick sauce to go with it, here's my recipe - https://www.fishraider.com.au/topic/88014-easy-make-sauce-for-your-flathead-fillets/

Only just noticed this... thanks for the heads up on the Panko bread crumbs and yes , the wire rack is a great tip.

Hi Jim. An interesting thread which you've started here. Most of you would know that my fishing is predominantly in freshwater where the target species are Yellowbelly and Murray Cod. I seldom take any fish from the waters I use, much preferring to release them for another day. Occasionally though, when numerous folks are gathering for some occasion or other, I will catch a nice 60cm Cod for the table.

I have a friend who runs the local fish and chip shop who lightly batters the Cod pieces and deep fries them for me. I buy a heap of chips and people are amazed at how good the Cod tastes. Of course, we all know it's because it's fresh. I wouldn't dream of buying fish which may have been caught many days prior...it's just not the same. 

So Jim, here's my advice. Stop working so hard, go fishing more often. Catch, prepare and eat your own fresh fish. Utilise the skills and capabilities which you have. We only have one shot at the life we live, work will still be there tomorrow.  LOL.

Cheers mate, bn

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Hi Jim. An interesting thread which you've started here. Most of you would know that my fishing is predominantly in freshwater where the target species are Yellowbelly and Murray Cod. I seldom take any fish from the waters I use, much preferring to release them for another day. Occasionally though, when numerous folks are gathering for some occasion or other, I will catch a nice 60cm Cod for the table.

I have a friend who runs the local fish and chip shop who lightly batters the Cod pieces and deep fries them for me. I buy a heap of chips and people are amazed at how good the Cod tastes. Of course, we all know it's because it's fresh. I wouldn't dream of buying fish which may have been caught many days prior...it's just not the same. 

So Jim, here's my advice. Stop working so hard, go fishing more often. Catch, prepare and eat your own fresh fish. Utilise the skills and capabilities which you have. We only have one shot at the life we live, work will still be there tomorrow.  LOL.

Cheers mate, bn

"Stop working so hard"

I'm working on that !  LOL

Cheers Buddy... not long now.

Give it 12 months and you will be sick of how many times I post the latest fishing trip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only fish i have purchased from fish shops are fish species that i cannot target here in Sydney. Apart from that i have not purchased any fish from fish shops for 4 or 5 years now.

Like many above, i have given fresh fish to a few friends who traditionally were not fans. But after eating fresh they were converted. 

When i did buy fish from the shops i would look the following:

1. Red gills (as red as possible)

2. No sunken eyes

3. As close to natural live color 

4. I prefer to buy fish whole and fillet at home, as fillets almost always 10 times worse and older.

Edited by GoingFishing