tanz011

Hi Raiders,

I would appreciate if someone could take me along a beach fishing session. I have done estuary fishing, a bit of rock fishing and mostly break wall based fishing for the last 6 years. Haven't done much beach fishing. Following are my information:

Name: Tan

Fishing technique: Beach fishing on bait

Availability: Weekends typically

Preferred location: Northern beaches, Dee why, La Perouse

Gear: I have got a 12 ft rod spooled with 20lb braid for beach. 

Hoping to hear from someone.

Cheers

Tan. Welcome to the site, hope you have a long and enjoyable time here and learn lots.

I can't help you with taking you on the beach but can offer some advise , most important part of beach fishing is being able to READ the beach find the gutters etc, do some study and look on Utube to learn how to do it and then go and have a look, best if possible from a high position and don't bother even taking a rod just watch the way the surf rolls in and the water rolling back out etc, watch where others are fishing, spend some time studying the different formations of the beach, all beaches act differently, some face slightly different directions etc so act slightly different, a high rod is important so the wave formations don't keep dragging your line down and about, but in saying that sometimes the fish are in real close, it's a try and see thing, don't be impatient learn to cast well and try and have no twist in your line.

Many more on here will probably add some helpful hints for you so good luck and let us know when you go, even if you don't catch fish, enjoy the time near the water.

Frank

55 minutes ago, frankS said:

Tan. Welcome to the site, hope you have a long and enjoyable time here and learn lots.

I can't help you with taking you on the beach but can offer some advise , most important part of beach fishing is being able to READ the beach find the gutters etc, do some study and look on Utube to learn how to do it and then go and have a look, best if possible from a high position and don't bother even taking a rod just watch the way the surf rolls in and the water rolling back out etc, watch where others are fishing, spend some time studying the different formations of the beach, all beaches act differently, some face slightly different directions etc so act slightly different, a high rod is important so the wave formations don't keep dragging your line down and about, but in saying that sometimes the fish are in real close, it's a try and see thing, don't be impatient learn to cast well and try and have no twist in your line.

Many more on here will probably add some helpful hints for you so good luck and let us know when you go, even if you don't catch fish, enjoy the time near the water.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to post such an informative reply. I will certainly like to do the reconnaissance before the outing. I have got my beach outfit. Now just waiting to get out soon.

Cheers 

Don't forget beach fishing using soft plastics for flathead, a great way to keep things interesting as you work the beach. Light rod and reel, handful variety of soft plastics - lots of low fatigue fun. Pack some metals as well (i e. halco twisty) to hit any bustups you might encounter for tailor and salmon.

All of the above means no stinky bait fingers and less stuff to carry around :)

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Not sure if I would or you can even use SP's of a surf beach?

Also forget braid of the beach, it just tangles in the wind

Depends on the conditions - how rough it is, how far out the gutter is and how much weed is moving around. Narrabeen beach is great - you can fish the surf with metals and if things are too rough,  just hop on to the other side of the sand bank and you have a nice flattie area.

Edited by anthman

Hi Tan.

Collaroy is another good spot. Fish on the ocean side of the swiming pool. Also use Mono line, much better than braid at the beach. The critics will bash me up saying this, but I have never had a problem using good quality Mono.

Cheers.

Edited by Rebel
Extra Advice.

Guest Guest123456789
On 11/6/2018 at 6:41 PM, kingie chaser said:

Not sure if I would or you can even use SP's of a surf beach?

Also forget braid of the beach, it just tangles in the wind

Plastics and lures off the beach can be a lot of fun so long as you stay mobile and cover ground.

And I disagree braid not being suitable for beach. In fact I think its most important to use on the beach. The low diameter is critical to cast you bait long distances and hit the back gutter when the front gutter is either full of kelp or only whiting/ dart etc. Also important to have low diameter line when a swell is on or so is the wind. You probably had line twist issues using only one swivel, if you have two swivels, one above the leader and one attached to a star or grapnel sinker you shouldn’t get line twist unless you have the drag too light and end up winding against the drag when retrieving your bait or catch.

17 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi Tan.

Collaroy is another good spot. Fish on the ocean side of the swiming pool. Also use Mono line, much better than braid at the beach. The critics will bash me up saying this, but I have never had a problem using good quality Mono.

Cheers.

Hi Rebel,

Thanks for the spot suggestion. I hope to give it a try. Haven't done proper beach fishing before. Looking forward to getting in to it.

Cheers