Attempted crabbing with the boy

kiwicraig

I decided to take my son out yesterday morning to see if the blue swimmers were in Brisbane Waters in any numbers.  

Short version is they weren't. But we had a good time.  

Tried a few spots that have produced before.  My son picked up a just legal one in the channel by Davistown RSL.  Let that go as you don't get much off one that small.  Thought I'd let it get a bit bigger.

We had a bigger one on the line but it let go on the way up.  

Got a slightly bigger one over by Blackall ramp, but that was it for 3+ hours so pretty slow.

I pick up a new trick though. I took a Bluetooth speaker with me and made my son DJ.  Reckon it extended his tolerance tenfold.

• Like 3

Hi Kiwi

There has been good numbers of blue swimmers in Pittwater , try along the enge of the channel off western side of Palmy off the Golf Course, The Red Channel marker near the ferry wharf has a few hanging around or in Lovett or Morning bay on the drop offs in the heads of the bays near the mangroves

whole fresh tailor or mullet will get them in your trap.

All the best

Jim

Edited by Jimbo1973

On 11/26/2018 at 6:50 PM, tobycb said:

Hey @kiwicraig,

Seems the crabbing's a bit slow at the moment! What method do you use in Brisbane Waters?

Regards, Toby

Crab nets and traps are banned in Brisbane Waters.  I use a handline with a running sinker to a gang of hooks.  On the gang I attach about 1/3 of a flathead frame from a previous session - nice tough bait and the crabs usually like it. While anchored I just leave the handline over one of the rod holders and stick the handle of the net into the rod holder.  When a crab picks up the bait they will try to wander off with it causing the handline to start spooling.  When that happens just slowly wind in and then net them before they break the surface of the water.  

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 8:15 PM, Jimbo1973 said:

Hi Kiwi

There has been good numbers of blue swimmers in Pittwater , try along the enge of the channel off western side of Palmy off the Golf Course, The Red Channel marker near the ferry wharf has a few hanging around or in Lovett or Morning bay on the drop offs in the heads of the bays near the mangroves

whole fresh tailor or mullet will get them in your trap.

All the best

Jim

Thanks Jim - I'll check it out. 

Any tips with netting them craig? Last time i tried in brissy waters i struggled handlining and netting them myself. I landed one and dropped 3 at the boat :(.

Do you find they let go when they get too close to the boat, or is it more when they breach the surface? I was worried they'd drop off if they got too close to the boat so was overextending when trying to net.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:45 PM, macca02 said:

Any tips with netting them craig? Last time i tried in brissy waters i struggled handlining and netting them myself. I landed one and dropped 3 at the boat :(.

Do you find they let go when they get too close to the boat, or is it more when they breach the surface? I was worried they'd drop off if they got too close to the boat so was overextending when trying to net.

Just take your time and bring them up slowly.  You can bring them right up to the surface if you take it slow.  Put the net in behind them and when it is in position scoop quickly.