Port Stephens- Another one bites the dust!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

“And another ones gone, and another ones gone and another one bites the dust”.

Im sure that’s how the song goes! Well that’s what was singing in my head today! 

I managed to sneak out with @Woodsy1 today with the promise to be home early! 

So we didn’t muck around, filled the live tank in 20mins and straight off for our first drift. Conditions looked promising and we got a couple of touches on our first two drifts but nothing solid. Marked a stack of bait but no takers! Time to change tact! Decided to anchor and burley up and throw weighted slimie strips, no joy! Change again! Decided to cube yakka and throw slimie chunks for burley. Well, cast out and smack, I could barely get the rod out the holder, then this thing woke up! The runs were long and the weight immense. I managed to turn its head and get it where I wanted but I could feel the abrasion of the line. Woodsy clears the lines and grabs the net and pop! Devastated 😢 We work the area for two pannies and time to move. 

Next spot first drift, bang I’m on again but straight away spits the hook, I wind the slack and tea bag it, boom loads up again! A few solid runs and pop, gone again! We work the area and nothing else but bait. So we try the same tact and anchor up. We throw slimie heads, chucks of yakka and squid but nothing until Woodsy loads up! And boy did this thing run! King for sure I call as he plays it out. Massive weight and close to the boat it takes a massive dive for the bottom and pop!!! 

And another ones gone, another ones gone, another one bites the dust! 

Well, that was our Xmas eve! 

A great song and great memory of lost opportunity but a pleasurable day on the water in  great conditions and with a great mate! 

Thanks for the day Woodsy!!! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

The tokens........

9149D93A-000B-4545-8553-D8852EE0FDAE.thumb.jpeg.c742bf514e27396d3d178e843b9c32dc.jpeg

• Like 10

Great stuff, Jeff! At least you got out there! I fished the Bay yesterday, hoping for a feed of blue swimmers for Chrissy lunch. Only got the one, plus a flounder and about 30 just undersized sand whiting. At least my motor went well, after all the dramas!

But, bugger these weekend fishing crowds... you can keep that! 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Lovely tokens guys and great report. Wonder what caused the “pop” ! 

Sounds very much like a shark variety. 

Cheers Zoran

ps - my Christmas Eve has been spent reworking some contract terms !! You win. 

What went pop??? Bloody big fish was what it was 😢

more than likely the snapper was gut hooked and the abrasion was its teeth! 

4 hours ago, Blackfish said:

Ive hit "Like" for the post, more for the effort and putting it up, but sorry for you guys with the result.

Thanks mate! If we landed just one of those fish it would have fed both families! 

4 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

You dont have to leave all of them for me jeff   lol   wow  sounds like a few unstoppables hangin round mate  better luck next trip dude

Lol, yeah thanks rick! At least we hooked a few! 

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Great stuff, Jeff! At least you got out there! I fished the Bay yesterday, hoping for a feed of blue swimmers for Chrissy lunch. Only got the one, plus a flounder and about 30 just undersized sand whiting. At least my motor went well, after all the dramas!

But, bugger these weekend fishing crowds... you can keep that! 😂

Thanks baz! Glad your motors working! 

3 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

Well done guys some nice fish there

Cheers mate! 

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Bad luck there Scratchie. At least something to take home.

As Baz said, bugger these weekend crowds.

Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks yowie! Yep, hate the tourist crowds but what can you do! To be honest though, had the spot to ourselves! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Great day on the water again Scratchie even with all the fish we lost. Thanks mate. 

Woodsy

Here’s, another line.........

”Hey, gunna get you too, another one bites the dust”. 

Haha 😂 

I probably scared the rest of the fish in that first area with my subtle comments! 😭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Here’s, another line.........

”Hey, gunna get you too, another one bites the dust”. 

Haha 😂 

I probably scared the rest of the fish in that first area with my subtle comments! 😭

lol your thinking about it even more now after a few drinks aren’t you, it was bloody big

Yeah I think they heard you up at seals

• Haha 1

Not bad fellas , your getting closer to that metre snaps ! 👍🏾 

Merry Christmas to u all , kids opened their presents , im watering the garden, Mrs cooking brekky, life don't get much better !

enjoy the day everyone 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

Not bad fellas , your getting closer to that metre snaps ! 👍🏾 

Merry Christmas to u all , kids opened their presents , im watering the garden, Mrs cooking brekky, life don't get much better !

enjoy the day everyone 

Merry Xmas to you and your family Craig! 

Let me know when your up! 👍

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thats fishing isnt it !!! Those losses only feed the addiciton !!! Almost like gambling 😂😂

Good effort guys and at least you managed a few

Thanks Sam! Thought I’d report the losses we had. It does make the good days special. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Merry Xmas to you and your family Craig! 

Let me know when your up! 👍

Thanks Jeff, had the family at ours, good day , hope u enjoyed your day bro!  Today I'll try and fire up the little boat , muddies start around now down here 

Might be up after the new year for a few days, hopefully see u then mate. 

Another year gonnnnne😎

• Like 1