Out from Sydney Monday

saltrix

We were expecting crowds on the ramp and at fishing spots but we had the ramp to ourselves at Davison Ramp except for a later charterboat.

The sea was pretty calm but a steady light drizzle kept up all morning.  Tried a troll around Dobroyd for nil and again around North Head for a small king that quickly went back.

Landmarks were out of the question and GPS and compass were the go all morning

rain-Mon.thumb.jpg.51b9aed7eb1c4bb1357ba4796301b64b.jpg

Got to Dee Why Wide and picked up some flathead, a morwong, and a bonito in 50 m.

Even managed 3 flathead at omce but lost 1 lifting them in but took a quick snap of the 2 left.

DoubleFH.thumb.jpg.edd30217525e5d0e27e0b1a387ff6bd8.jpg

Finished up with a feed and had some fun catching another bonito at middle harbour.

fish-Mon.thumb.jpg.67d0b8b8baebe1127dafc03604881550.jpg

Not as good a catch as Scratchies but something to eat.

• Like 2

Great bag of fish there Alan

If it makes you feel better, your report brought me more excitement than jeffs.

Those big port stephens snapps are out of range for me, but ive been waiting for those bonnies to arrive in Sydney for months now.  My bait expenditure is about to go down by at least 80%!!!!!!!

• Like 1

We went south of The Heads yesterday and found the flathead were fairly shy but there were plenty of whiting around.  A patch of reef produced a 3.5 kilo red as well as a one kilo model. Later the biggest nannygai we have seen came on board but it's in my freezer to be weighed later but was well over one half a kilo in weight. Despite the constant drizzle it was a good day for drift fishing.

Yes, pleased to know that you know your species.  I had a couple of spikies as well but did not include those in the photo as a lot of fishermen think they are undersized when they are actually fully mature fish and are good eating. I think that they do count to your bag limit of 10 flathead so I only keep the larger ones.  Usually marbled and bluespot are about equal from where we fish off Dee Why.