Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished the deep off Lilli Pilli early this morning. Also pulled up a couple of jewies, but they were a few cms under sized. Most fish were caught before sunrise, not that I saw any sun, but after sunrise the size of the reddies dropped to as small as 10cm, so time to head home.

One jewie on a squid strip, all other fish on  strips from a salted bonnie fillet that I found in the freezer from about 12 months ago.

The smaller flattie is a Blue Spot. It had bright orange roe so maybe some of them are breeding up river. From memory this one would be the biggest one I have caught up river.

fish.jpeg_181.thumb.png.e99a5abe2846b12fa1c7c0ab0ea988ca.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Always manage a feed mate.Well done.

Thanks Fab, time for you to fish the Hacking again. There were a few fish cracking the surface, kingies and some good sized tailor. All out of casting range.

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Onya yowie   must say ive never caugjt a bluespot in an estuary...rick

Don't remember how many, but I catch a few each year in the Hacking, some in 20 to 30 feet water depth.

The best was 3 in one morning, though not all legal size.

8 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Nice mixed bag Yowie and those reds are a nice plate size. 

I have caught blue spots inside botany bay before years ago but they didnt have any real size to them

Most of the ones I have caught in the Hacking were under 40cm, with a few just below legal size. Probably just a small population that survive up river.

Don't know if they swim up river from outside or have bred there, but have caught them over a number of years, more so in recent years than my earlier days of fishing. The one I caught yesterday, which is the largest I have pulled out of the Hacking, had a fair sized roe so it may be that they are breeding up there.

With Botany Bay, the water is deep through the heads and up, whereas in the Hacking, there is quite a bit of shallow water and sand banks to swim through.

All of the Blue Spots I have caught were around Lilli Pilli and west of there, never any in the South West Arm which has deep water as well, but I do not fish in the S/W Arm that much.

Edited by Yowie