BBay with Big neil

frankS

Well I guess you have to take the bad with the good, this morning unfortunately was pretty well all bad. got up 4am looked at the satellite and there was a deep band of bad weather heading our way, I figured there was about 1 hour of bad and then I thought it would clear up and settle down, how wrong can one be !!. Got down to cooks ramp and it was drizzly and about 20 knots but thought with a bit of time it would settle, waited a while then waited another while, at least it stopped raining so made the decision to launch boat and head out and have a look, got to the end of the runway and was getting thrown around like a midget wrestler, not good so turned around and put the boat back on the trailer. We though we will go to Foreshore ramp at least we can see the conditions IF they get better and closer for a quick run. Well the wind got nastier and the chop got a lot worse, so had a coffee and a sandwich and the wind was just about blowing us over so decided to call it a day.

Heartbreak for poor Neil as he has come a long way just to be faced with impossible conditions. Doesn't matter for me but I do feel really sorry for Neil. Hope I can make it up to him some other time. On the way home I thought Geeze we should have gone to The Hacking but too late now as I am back home with boat unloaded.

Better luck next time.

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Yes, they showed video of the Bay on the news last night and it looked wild.  The trouble is even if the wind has died off the bottom silt remains suspended for a few days and the fishing is very quiet. I was thinking of going Sunday but I am having second thoughts now for that reason.

• Like 3

Hate to say it but sometimes what the heart wants but mother nature has a different idea regardless.

Knowing what was happening I probably would have called it last night.

Unfortunate but it has improved a bit this afternoon with the wind although it is drizzling, could have been easier to reschedule for a late session over the morning but Im a morning fisho & if it aint good in the morning I call it for the day.

Might be worth another go Monday! 

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Hate to say it but sometimes what the heart wants but mother nature has a different idea regardless.

Knowing what was happening I probably would have called it last night.

Unfortunate but it has improved a bit this afternoon with the wind although it is drizzling, could have been easier to reschedule for a late session over the morning but Im a morning fisho & if it aint good in the morning I call it for the day.

Might be worth another go Monday! 

Neil needs to head off home on Monday. Such a short window of opportunity and alas we missed the boat. I will now do the few minor adjustments to the boat and wait till my mate John ( Snatcher ) comes out from England. Hope we have better luck then, he is here for 3 months so should get some fair weather in that time.

Frank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil needs to head off home on Monday. Such a short window of opportunity and alas we missed the boat. I will now do the few minor adjustments to the boat and wait till my mate John ( Snatcher ) comes out from England. Hope we have better luck then, he is here for 3 months so should get some fair weather in that time.

Frank

BN mentioned to me he may be heading home Tuesday.

Hopefully you will both have better luck next time.

Anyway Frank if you feel like some company one day or want another boat to tag along while your doing your testing give me a shout.

I often get days off during the week & my fishing buddy just moved to brissy so Im going solo most days in the old 69 sportsman.

In saying that I must admit Im dam picky about the days I head out, I only go if the forecast is for up to 10-15kph max as it alway tends to more like 15-20.

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 2

Was going out with Neil on the Saturday and the Sunday and then received a text from him in the wee hours about a health scare with the Missus. We cancelled the Saturday but then as she was feeling better we pushed through with the Sunday plans. I was fortunate in that a mate with a boat was keen to head out on Sunday morning and Neil was able to come out with us. On the downside the kings were not playing at my usual spots but Neil picked up an Aussie Salmon on the baitcaster. Had plenty of squid and some livies and with a long running swell we made the decision to head out to long reef. Took about 30 minutes to get there and there were only a few other boats out there. Neil hooked up on a fish which put a lovely bend in the rod. Damn I was happy to see the flash of silver and a yellow tail when it came up out of the depths. A rat king but still a king. We picked up a few other species and it was beautiful out there. Next goal is to see him on a legal king.

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Derek. Many thanks to you and Anthony for taking me out in Anthony's boat. You certainly have an absolute wealth of knowledge of your local fishing environment and the creatures of the deep which occupy it. Just as well, I think because no other boats seemed to be catching any Kingfish either. You certainly pulled the rabbit out of the hat and I am stoked at catching a (small) Kingie when conditions were so difficult. Nice little fight for such a small fish...now I know what people mean when they say "pulls like a train". That's another species off the bucket list. I will catch up with you and Frank next time I visit the big smoke. Once again, many thanks for the mission accomplished.  Here's a pic, Cheers, bn

IMG_1535rs.thumb.jpg.b65e9210352604793d2b3424ead983dd.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @big Neil

I really enjoyed your company and the enthusiasm which you put into chasing the kings and I am looking forward to another fish with you the next time you get back up to Sydney. Be nice to get you a keeper next time.

I was really glad that you got the king and Anthony not being able to carry out his threat to have to swim home if we didn't catch any. The half day time frame put a bit more pressure on. Of course the one Anthony dropped would have been legal - can I help it if he can't follow through on his part. :1prop:

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Good work guys  kingfish "tick"..wots next neil.....rick

Hi Rick. Still got my eyes on a metre plus Murray Cod, outside of that whatever opportunity presents when I visit the salt. Great to meet such experienced anglers and learn from what they pass on to you. Cheers mate, Neil

At this stage I will be giving the bay another chance on Thursday coming up, another mate at this stage says he will be free. Winds are forecast light in morning leading up to blowie in the afternoon, so a few hours in the morning and hopefully some fish in the boat.

Boat at this stage all wrapped up and put to bed. Cheap $40 cover to keep things away from eyes.166149556_brookercovered3.thumb.jpg.5436f6bb6d7ef4883e4a15fbf84cc7fe.jpg

brooker covered 2.jpg

Edited by frankS

1 hour ago, fragmeister said:

Well done Neil!  Glad you got the chance to catch your fist kingie.  Just imagine one of those the 1 metre mark !

Cheers

Jim

The thought has crossed my mind Jim. That would stretch the arthritis a bit...haha. Cheers bn