Port Hacking Cobia

AI fella

Dont no much more detail other than a live bait was used, the rocks are at the western end  of Jibbon beach, with the recent southerly the water temp is bringing some northern species in close, you never know in the Hacking!

Cheers 

18 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I didn't realise Cobia frequented these waters?

Cobia do occasionally turn up in the Hacking. I have caught 2 over the years, both little buggers, and dropped a bigger one when the hook pulled. I have also seen a couple pulled out many years ago.

Cobia also turn up in Pittwater occasionally. I caught a small one on a strip bait a few years ago and my Dad got one in the same area a year or two before that. A friend lost a very large one off the Northern Beaches rocks 2 years ago - he was spinning for bonito and didn't have a gaff with him that day ...

Fil

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Excellent eating   one of my faves

I was going to say they are reported to be pretty good on the tooth.

Id definitely like to get my hands on one to try it!

Interesting to see there is no size limit in NSW either, bag limit of 5!!

Edited by kingie chaser

I hear of the odd one being caught but have only seen one get caught in the Hacking and that was 25+ years ago.

My dad, brother and me were fishing in the shallows off Mainbar, when we saw a large stingray cruising past. Dad actually made the comment "you know up in the tropics they cast at the rays to fish for cobia" with that he flicked his nipper in front of the ray and hooked up as it swam over. We laughed at him assuming he had hooked the ray on 1kg line and was in heaps of trouble. But after a few seconds the ray and fish changed directions, and he landed a small 1.2kg Cobia.

Still one of the most arsy captures i have seen.

Edited by Oscarthebeagle
Typo
  • Like 1

About 20 years ago I watched a guy land an 18kg model off Clarke’s point and a few years back  while catching some rat kings around Chiswick west of Gladesville bridge I caught a 4kg one & a couple of weeks after Christmas in the same area among some moorings I foul hooked a fantail leather jacket on a plastic which got harassed by easily an 18kg+ cobia, would’ve been interesting on bream gear😂. Around the same time a few days later I thought I’d hooked a kingy which I lost at my feet but was a lot thinner in profile and had a blue & yellow (or white) horizontal stripe running along its lateral line. I’ve never caught or seen a rainbow runner before but that’s what it looked like re-marine fish books, go figure 

I remember years ago, a guy from my ANSA club caught one in Swansea channel while spinning for flathead in 2kg. That gave him a run for his money in that current under the bridge! Was a national record for a while.

Edited by Berleyguts