first Port Stephens trip

jmk086

had my first trip (with a boat) up to port Stephens this week, massive shout out to scratchie he offered to come out with us and share some of his massive amount of knowledge of the area from simply just getting in and out of the bay in a small boat to trolling for marlin and everything inbetween.. cannot thank him enough for this as me and my mate learnt more on Monday than we would of in 10 trips by ourselves!! 

we started with live bait at cabbage tree the water was alive with bait so didnt take long at all then headed out to broughton for a look around for some snapper, not great conditions or time of year for snapper but gee we learnt alot and I managed to get my first legal snapper on plastic which was awesome👌 

we then slow trolled livies back towards fingal along the way catching as many small dolphin fish as we wanted haha although no marlin strikes once again learnt a hell of alot.. on the way back in we trolled some lures around for bonito and had a look at some future snapper locations. it was unreal to have someone like Jeff on deck with us for our first trip cannot thank him enough!!!! 

the rest of the trip was spent in the bay we got into some flathead on plastics (got a few well over 50cm but nothing huge), squid and tried our luck at live baiting a jew on tide change just after dark but had no luck. 

great trip we will be back at least once a year to fish this amazing location and hopefully catch up with Jeff at the same time. 

cheers josh

20190304_075319.jpg

• Like 9

It was a great day on the water! It was nice to catch up with a couple of Fishraiders that share the same passion for fishing as I do! 

We certainly fit a lot in for the small amount of time we were on the water! (Wind blew us off by 11am) 

That snapper you caught was a cracker on sps especially considering the conditions. The mahi were great fun with double and triple hook ups! The seas got pretty nautical at the end there and highlighted the need for knowledge of the area you fish! 

Definitely call me up next time you head seaside! Thanks for the day! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

It was a great day on the water! It was nice to catch up with a couple of Fishraiders that share the same passion for fishing as I do! 

We certainly fit a lot in for the small amount of time we were on the water! (Wind blew us off by 11am) 

That snapper you caught was a cracker on sps especially considering the conditions. The mahi were great fun with double and triple hook ups! The seas got pretty nautical at the end there and highlighted the need for knowledge of the area you fish! 

Definitely call me up next time you head seaside! Thanks for the day! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

we deff be back mate and will keep in touch for sure

• Like 1

10 hours ago, T_Bert83 said:

Awesome work to all involved sounds like a ripper trip. Still sulking a little that I couldn’t make it haha. 

Next time Trav! Try come in winter and we’ll target a couple of snaps! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, T_Bert83 said:

Awesome work to all involved sounds like a ripper trip. Still sulking a little that I couldn’t make it haha. 

our time will come dont you worrie bout that bro👊👌

• Like 1

Hey guys new to the site and still figuring it all out haha but been fishing out of Newcastle and off Port stephens for a fair few years now and going to try for our first marlin, is there any reports on any being caught lately with the warmer water in close and the current easing off? Haven't got outriggers or anything so have been just trolling livies and have raised 1 or 2 everytime just can't get a bite haha haven't been out in a month or so, thanks heaps 

7 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

@Scratchie very good work Jeff. You really do so much to help others enjoy fishing. 

Thanks from all of us. 

Thanks Donna! 

I just need an excuse to go fishing and so many of our wonderful members give me plenty of excuses!! Haha 😂 

I do really enjoy meeting new people that share the same passion as me! 

That’s what fishraider is all about! 

• Like 3

Congrats on on your first SP snapper.. how long did she go on the tape?? One of the best decisions I made was to go for a flick with Jeff ... On ya Jeff, a wealth of local knowledge and techniques as always... and not a bad bloke to keep spirits up between bites

see you in the next couple of months

😎🤟

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, quintrex52 said:

Congrats on on your first SP snapper.. how long did she go on the tape?? One of the best decisions I made was to go for a flick with Jeff ... On ya Jeff, a wealth of local knowledge and techniques as always... and not a bad bloke to keep spirits up between bites

😎🤟

we never actually measured it haha have to be mid to high 50's surely 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

😎🤟

Cheers Jeremy! See ya when you get up here next! 👍

• Like 1