Best session of the stones eva

Rock&Beach

Hey Raiders so has been a while since i have been able to get out but today was the day. It was also my last chance for a few months to have a good rock session so just had to go. 

So set the alarm for 4am and after a couple long weeks just kept hitting snooze. 

Finally crawled out of bed around 4.30 and straight into the car. I had packed everything the night before.

Arrived at the spot around 6 and was fishing straight away. Had pre rigged everything and was using garfish and pilles so was nice and easy.

Had a couple early hits while still dark and they turned out to be tailor. As the sun started to rise one of the other guys fishing started to get a few hits from bonito.

I changed to metals and landed one nice bonito but the hits were sparse at best.

I decided to try a coconut rig for the first time and then things went mental.

For nearly an hour i was landing a fish for every 2 casts.

My aim for the day had been kingies so as i had a good feed i changed back to garfish as we had seen something spooking them. I had about 20 casts for nothing so went back to the coconut rig and 2nd cast landed a kingie. Was undersize so he went back. Caught another 2 small rats so they went back as well. 

I started to pack up as i was done and one of the other guys said that the bonnies were back so had another crack and landed another heap so gave them our to everyone else. 

Was such a great day with lots of  fish, fresh air and meeting new fishos. Amongst all that i also caught my first Mack Tuna.

Anyway will convert the catch to some nice sashimi tonight and some meals over the next couple days

Tight lines R&B

20190310_175147.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LuckyFil said:

Sounds like a gear session.

Whats a coconut rig?

Thanks LuckyFil it was a great session.

So a coconut rig is pretty simple,  the main line onto a swivel then a weighted  float on a section of leader about 3-400mm long, and then a ball sinker. The short piece of leader then goes onto another swivel, then another piece of leader about 2M long attached to a 3/0beak hook. You then put one of those small plastic squid jigs over the hook. 

The idea is the float acts as a struggling squid so you jerk it through the water slowly causing water to spray up. Hope that this helps

15 hours ago, Rock&Beach said:

Thanks LuckyFil it was a great session.

So a coconut rig is pretty simple,  the main line onto a swivel then a weighted  float on a section of leader about 3-400mm long, and then a ball sinker. The short piece of leader then goes onto another swivel, then another piece of leader about 2M long attached to a 3/0beak hook. You then put one of those small plastic squid jigs over the hook. 

The idea is the float acts as a struggling squid so you jerk it through the water slowly causing water to spray up. Hope that this helps

Ok thanks