Learning more about fishing

SaltyAs

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this board and would like to become a more active member of this forum and would also like to learn more about fishing, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help out an armature angler with a list of some beginner stuff I would like to attain knowledge on. I have done some research and summed a list of things that I believe I will need to do more research on. I have asked a few mates but was wondering if I could get some help from forum users to steer me into the correct path or add anything that is missing.

Equipment

1. Rods
  2. Reels
  3. Lines
  4. Sinkers
  5. Lures

Techniques

1. Knots
  2. Jigging

Types of fish

1. Learn about the types of fish
  2. What setups are good for specific fish
  3. What type of bait is good for what fish

Bait

1. How to catch live bait
  2. Different types of bait
  3. Bait presentation

1. Where are you fishing
  2. What structures are around and what types of fish are there
  3. Different rigs for different locations

Hi SaltyAs

Welcome to Fishraider. Your off to a very good start and your asking all the right questions.

Unfortunately theres no easy way to answer all of the above in one response.

Most fishos go through a "progression".  For me that started with bait fishing land based for bread and butter species such as bream,flathead and whiting. 

For that id suggest a 6 foot rod with 3000 size reel spooled with 10 pound line with mono leader.

But by far the best way to learn is to get out with someone who knows how to fish. Where are you located.

• Like 1

Hi Saltyas,

Welcome to the forum. The gear/knots.baits etc you need will depend on what sort of fishing you wish to start with:

shore based: beach/rock/estuary? Or

boat: inside/outside?

I'll assume you are probably going shore based so the next question is to decide where you can go that's easy to get to. I'd steer clear of rock fishing unless you have an experienced fisher to teach you the ropes. (In fact, having someone who knows what to do to teach you, will save you a hell of a lot of time and expense on the journey to being a successful fisher.)

I found that keeping track of tides, winds, swells and seasons was really important in helping me work out what to fish for and where to go fishing.

If you could write back with some answers to the type of fishing you want to start with and where is convenient for you to get to, I'm sure that you'll get lots of good advice from members.

KB

As suggested above, some straightforward questions you have there but many many different answers based on how and where you fish, what you're targetting etc...

Keep this questions but narrow yourself to a target species (build a fishlist to work through) and recognise what you have access to: nearby jetties/wharves, beaches, mates boats etc... knowing just those two things will allow members to fill in the rest: gear, technique, bait etc...

I personally think targetting flathead and nearby wharves/rock walls is a great starting point if you want to get into lures. If you want to get into bait, I really love pumping fresh yabbies  and fishing them then and there.

It was much simpler when I was a young learner! I’d just read “Understanding Fishing Tackle” by Dick Lewers and Geoff Wilson’s knot book, plus Fishing World and Modern Fishing magazines! Also, Vic McCristal’s “Fishing With Lures”. They are still good for the basics but there have been so many advancements in the last 20 or 30 years... graphite rods, braided line, fluorocarbon, to name a few. I’d recommend joining a fishing club, too, particularly an ANSA affiliated club. You will learn a lot through a club.

• Like 1

Hi,

Welcome to Fishraider.

When you have decided what to buy contact Dinga Fishing who is a sponsor of the forum. They send gear freight free around Australia and also give disciunts to members.

I can not guess your expertise but I started with a hand line cork or coke bottle with small hook no sinker and dough made from white bread catching mullet at Tunks park. First thing is how to tie a hook knots called half blood and uni are easy to learn and research. If you are beyond this stage its open slather there was a post here where some members bought $20 dollar outfits and had a fishing comp landing very good fish so I guess experience is key and takes time to achieve.  I am 62 just bought my second boat (been boat fishing for 2, years so spent heaps best money was spent on a charter.  Just keep trying. 

Thanks all for your responses, I've noted more things down to learn. I have fished a few times and been on a mates boat, I think going on a boat really sparked my interest in fishing. I will be going all sorts of fishing (Rock, Pier, Boat etc..) though as it is starting to become a weekly hobby for myself. I am actually currently situated in Sydney and would like to know if anyone else knew what are some good land based fishing places around Sydney? or even further out I'm not afraid of a long drive so wouldn't mind a couple of hours ride down the coast for abit of a fish. So far I've only been down Wollongong, Kiama, Botany Bay, Garie Beach, Port Hacking and Pier 2.

On 3/21/2019 at 5:32 PM, Rebel said:

Hi,

Welcome to Fishraider.

When you have decided what to buy contact Dinga Fishing who is a sponsor of the forum. They send gear freight free around Australia and also give disciunts to members.

Thanks mate, I've actually just bought a reel and rod from Dinga this morning before I even read this post. lol.. coincidence?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, GoingFishing said:

Unfortunately theres no easy way to answer all of the above in one response.Most fishos go through a "progression".

Pretty much sums it up to me.

OP, your trying to learn whats take some people a life time to master & you never stop learning.

Like everything in life you can have the flashiest gear but cant necessarily produce the goods, sometimes through a lack of knowledge but also sometimes through a lack of ability, the latter usually applies to other more physical sports imo but hwy if its what you enjoy then no harm done except to your wallet maybe 😁

Apart from what basic fishing gear is best for a particular situation the next best thing I think is understanding the species your trying to target behaviours & feeding patterns & where they frequent & the why which is usually what they are feeding on.

In the behaviors comes the best times & tides etc.

I believe there is a little luck is involved but obtaining the knowledge means your success rate wont be luck based.

Keep researching, reading articles, watching shows & get out there & just have a play.

Good luck out there.

Edited by kingie chaser

Welcome to Fishraider SaltyAs. There are lots of good topics on this site and loads of info on the www. but you will learn more from fishing with a buddy and getting out there "doing it". I don't live in Sydney but there are stacks of locations there to try. Initially, I would try fishing from ferry wharves with the gear which you have ordered from Dinga. Target species like Bream, Flathead, Squid, Leatherjackets. Later on, you could get into beach fishing for Salmon and Tailor but you will need different gear for that. Good luck with your venture and remember this. THE FISH ARE THERE AND THEY HAVE TO EAT TO SURVIVE. Cheers, bn

Hi SaltyAs,

The best advice I can give to start with is get yourself a mentor or ideally more than one. Listen and ask questions and really think about the why someone does something. Filter through the information and work what suits you. Some of us are a little set in our ways as we have developed a method or a system which works but that doesn't mean it can't be improved on.

For example, when I teach soft plastics the first thing I ask the student to do is to cast. These are often people that have been casting for years but I find in about 80% of the cases I have to refine their technique. I also explain to them the why for each of the minor changes.

I usually spend about 8 hours with them in the first session teaching them the stuff I have worked out over a decade. As others have said above there are years of learning ahead of you. I like your structured approach but answering all the questions you asked would probably take weeks (or more likely months) of fishing with different people to cover.

One of the bigger mistakes (in my opinion) that people make when they start out is find the biggest (within reason) rod they can get. 10kg plus usually. Doesn't cast well. You get less bites and when you hook up you can just winch the fish in which for the small stuff isn't overly fun.

You have mentioned you don't mind driving for some fishing but Sydney is a pretty big place - if you specify a more detailed location some of the members might invite you along. If you are close enough to water some of the after work sessions can be fun.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 1