Port Hacking - a few nice flatties

Yowie

Fished near the mouth of Yowie Bay early this morning. Started off quiet then a few fish showed up.

Plenty of little reddies about, managed 2 just over size, plus the 2 bream, on fish strips - salted mackerel fillet, salted bonito fillet and 1 yakka that showed up, the only one.

The jackets took squid pieces, but there were quite a few chinaman jackets as well, too small to eat and they chewed off a few hooks. Have not seen the chinaman jackets for some years up river, sometimes they warn of the arrival of chinaman jackets outside - hopefully not.

Also pulled up 3 flatties on fish strips on handlines, a bit of head banging on the line. the biggest one is about 88cm, beat my previous best by 2cms, one at 77cms and a 'small' one a bit under 70cms. All were released. The biggest one was weighed in the net, then released and the net weighed. The difference was 10 pound and 1 ounce, was happy with that one.

As I was heading home, a few terns were diving in the mouth of South West Arm, so I stopped there and had a few throws with a metal lure. It was a bit windy and the drift was a bit fast, but I pulled out the tailor and a salmon about the 55cm mark. Salmon was released.

Hooking up the van in a couple of days and heading to S.A. for a few weeks. Probably no fishing in that time, so leave me some fish for when I return.  :lol:

fish.jpeg_188.thumb.png.7ac9305f391fccc2581a40972244f24b.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a cracking session yowie! Congrats on the pb too! Enjoy your trip to SA. I’m sure the fish on the hacking will enjoy the respite 😝

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Tried a different spot that I have not fished for a few months, was thinking not a good choice then some fish turned up. Very happy with the flatties. On a hand line, you can feel the big head shakes of the flatties and you know what is on the end of the line.

Some friends in the caravan club booked a few nights at Clare Valley, right in wine country, just have to try some new wines (ones that will go with fish) :074:

• Haha 1

😱😱😱Well done yowie,  some cracking lizards there, I love a good lizard hunt and to get 3 good crocs like that on bait, u r the hacking mystro mate.

Hats 🎩 off to u! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I can guess roughly where u were , Can i ask approx depth? 

As jeff said, I'm sure the fish will be cheering your leaving the shire for a trip , travel safe . 

1 hour ago, Ribs said:

😱😱😱Well done yowie,  some cracking lizards there, I love a good lizard hunt and to get 3 good crocs like that on bait, u r the hacking mystro mate.

Hats 🎩 off to u! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

I can guess roughly where u were , Can i ask approx depth? 

As jeff said, I'm sure the fish will be cheering your leaving the shire for a trip , travel safe . 

Thank you. I cannot tell you the depth, as I don't have a depth sounder, but I'm guessing 30 to 40 feet. The smallest one was further out, maybe 50 feet. It's only a guess as I line up my marks by houses, roads, trees on the shoreline.

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Great report Yowie. Those are some cracking lizards.

Safe travels mate and i look forward to your reports when you return

Thank you. The biggest one was the last up, could certainly tell it was a good size.

29 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Another great mixed bag. That's a cracking big girl. Well done.

Thank you. It was a chunky fish compared to the other 2, and had some power while swimming about on 12 pound mono.

Some excellent fish there - three big lizards on top of a good mixed bag. 

Ive caught my biggest flatties at this time of year up to Easter and always on strip bait. Don't know why that's the case.

Did a van trip to the red center last year and had some very pleasant time in the Clare Valley on the way back. We stayed at a beaut park in Auburn. It's small and quiet and very near Taylors winery. There,s lots of good cycle trails in the area if you like a bike ride.  They are old rail trails , fairly flat and well off the roads through paddocks and go past many wineries.

cheers

Fil

Nice haul, those 3 are all ripper flatties.

What's the best eating size for flatty vs throw back? I know its one over 70cm per NSW dpi rules but I don't normally catch them large enough to have this ethical dilemma 😀

8 hours ago, LuckyFil said:

Some excellent fish there - three big lizards on top of a good mixed bag. 

Ive caught my biggest flatties at this time of year up to Easter and always on strip bait. Don't know why that's the case.

Did a van trip to the red center last year and had some very pleasant time in the Clare Valley on the way back. We stayed at a beaut park in Auburn. It's small and quiet and very near Taylors winery. There,s lots of good cycle trails in the area if you like a bike ride.  They are old rail trails , fairly flat and well off the roads through paddocks and go past many wineries.

cheers

Fil

Thank you.

Don't have a bike any more (and the van has enough weight on board as is), so will travel to a few wineries each day so as not to overload the system.

6 hours ago, lakelad said:

Nice haul, those 3 are all ripper flatties.

What's the best eating size for flatty vs throw back? I know its one over 70cm per NSW dpi rules but I don't normally catch them large enough to have this ethical dilemma 😀

40 to 50 cm I find are good for duskies. As for outside flatties - blue spots and tigers - they taste good at any size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Wow, that's a cracker yowie!

I estimated my 80cm model at about 3.5kg, that's got to be about a 4kg fish.

Nicely done :thumbup:

It was 10 pound, which converts to about 4.5 kgs. A thick solid body on it. A lot of head banging on a 12 pound hand line.

25 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

You’ve definitely got the hacking wired, makes me think you’ve fished there most of your life, another great mixed bag & 3  big girls, well done & congrats on the pb

About 60 years of fishing in the Hacking. :D  Nearly 50 from a boat.

Still some places I have not yet fished.

I was happy that I hit the 10 pound mark (only just) for a flattie.