Big tailor NSW

JonD

Just noticed in a thread which has been shut down where someone was under the misunderstanding tailor don't grow over 4 kg in NSW, which is completely wrong. We've had them to just under 7kg from my local beach and others have been weighed during local comps over 7 kg. Unfortunately I can't get to the one my daughter caught during a comp a few years ago as it's on photobacket, however here's a shot of one over 4kg taken on plastics and 4lb line bream fishing recently.

Just north of us in the JB area tailor of over 7kg are regularly landed. The biggest tailor I've personally seen have been around the norther solitary island on the north NSW coast, these have been around the 10kg ( in sanctuary zones). They can reach 120cm 14 kg on the east coast, according to fishing world.

Ive caught some consitant bigger fish in western Aus around the Kalbarri area but I can assure people there are a few on the NSW coast too.

IMG_1350.JPG.9ade89fff2164ab4631caaaacaa4a70d.JPG

Edited by JonD
  • Like 7

Thanks for sharing that @JonD. I knew they are supposed to grow to 14kg and I’ve seen photos of some monsters taken in St George’s Basin. Years ago I caught them to around 3kg, or the old 6lb, when I was living in Noosa. Qld, so a 4kg tailor, to me, is quite believable. 😎

Edited by Berleyguts

I have also caught two “green backs” in my time over the 4kg mark. Both off barrenjoey headland. One was in November and one late March for memory. 

The recent thread was locked as there were too many sidetracks from the topic and to prevent any further breaches in site rules! 

Discussions are always welcomed but please remember to adhere to site rules. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

Back in the early nineties a very large specimen was caught of north entrance beach. I remember seeing the photo in a central coast news paper, not sure of the exact size but it was weighed over 11kg. North entrance beach has a history of some very large tailor and jewies over the last 4 decades. 

54 minutes ago, rippinlips said:

Jon,

2 tailor at 4kgs on the central coast at this time of year? East coast reference was Sydney up to mid north coast. Consider your neck of woods south coast.

Why is this so inconceivable? I think we can all agree it might be unusual or a rare catch....but its definitely possible is it not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was lucky enough to catch 3 one night just inside north head in  late March in the early 90s and lost several sets of gang hooks (4x 3/0s) to bite offs. I had them in an old grey fish market tub with nothing else, they were bent like bananas & all 3 tails past the fork were hanging out. The biggest one from memory was 12&1/2lb bled can’t remember if it was gutted though 

5 hours ago, rippinlips said:

Jon,

2 tailor at 4kgs on the central coast at this time of year? East coast reference was Sydney up to mid north coast. Consider your neck of woods south coast.

As mentioned the biggest ones I've seen ( while diving ) were on the north coast, Coffs area. 

By the way the way the east coast stock are all part of the stock which breed of the Fraser coast according to science.

There is a fishing competition held on Queens birthday weekend called The Cabarita Greenback Tailor Comp, it's been running for about 20 odd years (bar one somewhere during this time)

The first year I went up from Sydney to fish it, the biggest Tailor was over 6.5kg which won (from memory) about $5000. There would have been more than 50 Tailor weighed over 4kg and as Greenback fishing rules allowed the weighing of only 5 fish of each species, there were undoubtedly plenty more caught that were not weighed in.

I saw a guy with 10 that were between 4.5 and 5.5kg who was trying to choose his 5 largest to weigh- he caught his from the beach at Lennox Head and I think he is a Fishraider member.

Biggest ones I've seen were in the 7-8kg range and were caught by 2 guys at The Devils Elbow (now in Jervis Bay sanctuary) on consecutive days and they reckoned they regularly got them over 5kg, both there and in St Georges Basin.

Plenty of huge Tailor used to be caught around the mouth of Munmorah hot water outlet and also North Entrance beach.

Largest land based ones around Sydney that I've seen were caught at "Oyster", which is the rock platform on the southern end of Burning Palms Beach, throwing poppers around the bombie. 

• Like 1

OK,

So I said my piece.  if someone can post a large tailor catch on central coast/ Sydney region in the last year with confirmation including the original  poster then I will put together $100 of plastics /metals/game lures etc and send off....

11 hours ago, rippinlips said:

OK,

So I said my piece.  if someone can post a large tailor catch on central coast/ Sydney region in the last year with confirmation including the original  poster then I will put together $100 of plastics /metals/game lures etc and send off....

So I guess everyone is wrong and your the only one who is right lol

Sorry, No amount of money is worth feeding that ego of yours. 

Apart from stubbornly sticking to your statement, how about you write up a summary of why YOU beleive 4kg tailor dont exist on the east coast. 

• Like 2

Why on earth would any angler decide they have to get proof about what's not really a very big fish in the scheme of things. Most people I know would simply release a tailor over 1kg as they taste bellow average.

Unfortunately I don't fish up that way very often but I did stop at Forster for a fish with a mate when I picked up my last new boat. My daughter did catch a couple of good tailor with one going over the legal kingfish size ( I mention kingfish as we catch so many we've become very accurate in size estimates). One of these was from a well known big tailor spot and the other from the shore, both quickly released.  My daughter did also land a 95cm snapper which was also quickly released after a quick photo.

I will dig up the tailor photos before the court trial but unfortunately we didn't have a judge and jury on the boat or beach and we forgot to take our industrial calibrated scales with us too. Perhaps we should of gotten a few journalists to do a story on it, or maybe a current affair.

These days not everyone posts their good catches anymore, simply because there are those among us who would simply hammer a spot. One of my daughter's friends has just caught a new female record jewfish from north of Sydney, which I doubt anyone will find any news of anywhere ( a fish of around 40kg).

I have 3 spots locally here on the cc that produce 6 /8kg tailer during winter  the last one i got was 6.5 kg  the previous foto shows its ugly melon  i think i have other fotos i  my hard drive but cant get at them as i blew my laptop up  i dont tell where these spots are ad i usually release the giants  and there is only a few of us that know bout them bein available  im tryin to get hold of one of my mates to see if he can speat me a foto   its the same story with tailer n bream  someone says they dont exist but others have the knowledge n skills to find them     my biggest tailer locally is just over 8kg   i dont fish for them very often as i spend more time in the boat now than on the rocks   im planning to chase one soon and beat my club record of 2.88 gutted n gilled  hers a foto of it     ps i have size 12 shoe   an those salmon are 4kg plus

2014-11-16 07.45.31.jpg

Edited by rickmarlin62
  • Like 3

We have 100's of captures of species in our Records section. 

Not sure what I will do with this post or where it is going. If raiders will not share fishing knowledge, post captures and general locations and help others then why are we here? Just because you know a general location that does not mean you can catch the fish!

Back to the original query, I believe there has been enough posted to show that Tailor over 4kgs have been caught in Sydney/Central Coast area.

You have a few hours to post any further comment here then I will close it or remove the whole post. 

mrsswordie (Community Manager)

• Like 3

Just as an addendum, the record for tailor in my Anglers Omnibus 1969 edition was a 21lb speciman caught at Pelican Point-Norah Head-will try and dig up a copy and scan it in- I will make the following points though- big choppers are rar and rarer than the used to be, the hang around specific spots and are a totally different fish to a little chopper. My biggest is only a 6lb fish- funnily enough my first on a lure that i caught off Mugs at avoca when i was 14 years old (now 51). i lost a serious specimen in Lake Conjola that was double that and attached is a photo of my then 4yr old who pulled this out of Noosa river (with a bit of help from dad in 2002)- they are around

april0402_020.jpg

Had a quick flick for salmon and tailor with another member on here ( who I was sharing local spots with ) . Unfortunately we didn't find any, but in saying that we only fished 10-15 mins, figured if we couldn't catch them in that time they simply don't exist!!!!

• Haha 2

I love this site so much , there is so much passion for fishing and helping each other out. Fishing for tailor or any other species has always been about having fun ,been outdoors and just enjoying the life. I don't need a prize to prove what size tailor i caught from some location,  i know what i caught when i did simple as that. 99.99% of people on this site are awesome helpful people, let's not forget that.  

Cheers Scotty 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1