Greenback Tailor Comp

wazatherfisherman

The "Greenback Tailor" fishing competition mentioned in the 'Big Tailor' post has just announced a move to Pottsville Beach for this year. 

It's on June 8-9 with checkout at 8am Saturday and fish to be in weigh-in area before 9am Sunday.

$35,000 worth of prizes, with the best prize for the largest Tailor weighed in.

It's well worth having a look at the weigh-in even if you don't fish in the comp- there are usually plenty of really massive Tailor weighed in each year, as well as plenty of other large fish like Mulloway and Mackerel, most fishing is done from either beach or rocks/walls.

The weighed fish are done up in lots and a public auction is held after the weigh-in with all the weighed-in catches being auctioned off.

If you're in the area on the Sunday it's well worth a look.

Thanks GoingFishing- yes Pottsville is about the fourth beachside suburb north of Byron Bay (about 45 mins drive to Byron) and is the main 'sign-on' point and the only weigh-in area for the comp.

There are always heaps of big Tailor weighed in, mainly by beach fisho's.

The really big ones are usually caught on 'cut-bait' (Bonito, Mack Tuna, Striped Tuna or good old Mullet fillets)

The common rig is large sinker, 30cm wire trace and 2x 5/0 ganged hooks with the above bait.

The method commonly used is to try and get out into the deeper water 'beyond the break' and the 'cut bait' being much smaller than say a Garfish or Pilly (the usual Tailor baits) they are easier to cast further out.

The wire trace is used because these massive Tailor will swallow the bait deep down and bite-off's the result of no wire. 'Normal' Tailor fishing that I'd done in Sydney, you wouldn't use wire.

As there are literally heaps of km's of  'unbroken' beach, (not many headlands and mainly smaller river/creek break-walls) there are usually gutters that go for great distances along the beach, making it ideal for those who love surf fishing. 

Larger, long beaches like Wooyung (just south of Pottsville) have tarred road running parallel to the beach, with stacks of 'sand-side' parking available, negating the need for a 4wd vehicle to get you to good 'fishy-looking' water. - Well known spot Black Rock (2 rock outcrops just out off the beach) is only a 2 minute walk from a sand-side car park, and as it is the only 'formation' along many km's of beach, attracts all manner of species

As I said, well worth a look if you are in the area June 9th.

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Good to hear from you Wazza. How u doin mate? bn

G'day Neil have found the 'transition' of moving from Sydney to Murwillumbah a little difficult, mainly due to recurring leg problems associated with the heat/humidity up here- looking forward so much to the cooling-off of autumn!

Haven't been fishing up here so far, but looking forward to going to many of the places I've fished up here previously (been coming up a couple of times a year for over 25 years) and have fished all over the area, both for Bass and saltwater species.

Mangrove Jack fishing would be my favourite thing up here, followed by both estuary spinning and beach fishing. Nice to go beach fishing with tons of room, plenty of spots and a good variety of species. Catching large Dart on ultra-light tackle produces consistent fun and it's a rare day when you can't catch a few fish of one variety or another!

Mate John is a tackle collector also and between us have too much tackle to display (never thought I'd ever say that!)- I still have about 20 x 70 ltr boxes of tackle to sort out- it's a mammoth task!

Hoping to get fishing in the next month, while there are still Jacks around.

Just learned also that Clarrie Hall Dam where we Bass fish has just been stocked with 3,000 freshwater raised Jacks also- might have to up the anti from 2.5 kg line we Bass fish with to something more realistic!

Cheers for the G'day and will let you know when I've got out to wet a line, am going to write a few more things for Fishraider over the next few weeks under the "Reminiscing" heading again, I know times are 'a changing' but fish haven't so if it helps someone catch a few more, well and good.  

Cheers Waza

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys n gals, newbie here (just joined today) and doing some searching for 'local news' ... being a Tweed Coast 'local' (here for last 11 years), just wanted to add to the info about the 'greenback comp'

First, it's held on the June long weekend. It's run by the local Lions Club as a charity fundraising event.

Website link here: https://lionsgreenback.com/2710/

The local "Sports Club" aka Bowls Club is the host location.

Now, 'sleepy' little Pottsville is only about 20mins South from the Gold Coast Airport. Jump onto google maps and you'll seen there is a stretch of sandy beach from the Tweed River South that is interrupted by a few rock headlands. These beaches in Winter are usually full of gutters and 'beach fishing wonderland' just perfect for a spot of Tailor fishing.

With plenty of Accommodation and hire car options around covering all budgets, grab a flight into the Gold Coast Airport and join the fishing fun!  There is even a Caravan Park with Cabins right next door to the 'Sports Club', and from there it's less than a 750m walk to a long stretch of sandy beach.

PS: Bit of history and winners shield from over the years here: https://lionsgreenback.com/greenback-tailor-champion-the-history-of-greenback/

Edited by Ah Me Ting
  • Like 3

Some good info there Ah, welcome to Fishraider. I have fished a few Greenback's over the years. Well organised comp with excellent prizes on offer and a lot of fun. 

I'm living in Murwillumbah now (ex- Sydney)- great part of the world with heaps of fishing options. 

Cheers Waza

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yowie said:

As a matter of interest, what size are the greenbacks?

Hi Yowie, up to 6+kg, plenty of years won by fish in the 3-4.5kg range. Best fish I've seen weighed was a 20+kg Spanish Mackerel caught off the rocks at Cabarita Head on a Tailor that was being retrieved.

All fish weighed in are made up in lots and there is a big public auction held on site

Cheers Waza

3 minutes ago, wazatherfisherman said:

Hi Yowie, up to 6+kg, plenty of years won by fish in the 3-4.5kg range. Best fish I've seen weighed was a 20+kg Spanish Mackerel caught off the rocks at Cabarita Head on a Tailor that was being retrieved.

All fish weighed in are made up in lots and there is a big public auction held on site

Cheers Waza

Thanks Waza, they are big choppers. My biggest at 60cm in Sydney would be bait for the big ones. :074:

On 4/24/2019 at 8:06 AM, fragmeister said:

Sounds like a “camp on the beach and fish all day job”

Could  it get any better?

Hi Jim, yes it's a stay on the beach and fish all night trip.

Part of entry fee includes a ticket for a stew (or similar) that a fisho known as "The Arab" drives along the beach with, great idea and we got ours one night about midnight in constant rain- nice to have a hot feed on the beach when fishing on a cold, wet night