FAD off Botany Bay approx 9kms

the skipper

Good morning all .

I was wanting to find out if anyone has fished the FAD that is apparently 9-10 kms off Botany Bay recently as I would like to venture out and have a crack at it .

Any info would be much appreciated .

The Skipper. 

FADS are a Joke - three weeks ago I went out to the East Sydney FAD (got there around 5am) and their were at least ten boats hugged up to it fighting about where to throw lines - we went out further and did not bother -

1 hour ago, the skipper said:

Good morning all .

I was wanting to find out if anyone has fished the FAD that is apparently 9-10 kms off Botany Bay recently as I would like to venture out and have a crack at it .

Any info would be much appreciated .

The Skipper. 

Hey mate. This is usually the best time of year to try the FADs as in the early summer months the FAds can be loaded with undersize fish. 

Yes the FADs can get crowded, but I have had many days where 10 boats were having a go and almost every single one boating a few.

Trick is to take live baits and it also helps to burley with pillies. This can sometimes draw the fish away from the FAD and to your boat solving the crowding dilemma 😊

When its firing its firing.....everyone will catch a few. You just gotta get out there and try.

20 minutes ago, Plethora said:

FADS are a Joke - three weeks ago I went out to the East Sydney FAD (got there around 5am) and their were at least ten boats hugged up to it fighting about where to throw lines - we went out further and did not bother -

Hmmm.... 5am arrival at the FAD? Do you ordinarily get there an hour before sunrise.

Dollies predominantly dont hunt by smell so I cant imagine 10 boats fighting  to throw lines for a whole hour during the dark. 

When I do go to the FADs I'm almost always the first or second boat there and thats always just on sunrise.

Thanks for that.

I am a big believer in burley , burley and more burley and have found that it attracts alot more bait fish to our boat which is what you want to happen as they inturn attract the bigger predators.

I have fished the FAD about 20 kms off Port Hacking for a my PB Mahi Mahi 110cms on live slimies and few years ago now but have not been out since.

They are porbably like any other type of fishing if you are there at the right time with the right bait you should do ok but that is fishing.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the skipper said:

Thanks for that.

I am a big believer in burley , burley and more burley and have found that it attracts alot more bait fish to our boat which is what you want to happen as they inturn attract the bigger predators.

I have fished the FAD about 20 kms off Port Hacking for a my PB Mahi Mahi 110cms on live slimies and few years ago now but have not been out since.

They are porbably like any other type of fishing if you are there at the right time with the right bait you should do ok but that is fishing.  

For what its worth. I find the botany wide FAD holds better fish and is less crowded. If you have an ocean going boat that can get out there that's the one I'd go to

Edited by GoingFishing

47 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

For what its worth. I find the botany wide FAD holds better fish and is less crowded. If you have an ocean going boat that can get out there that's the one I'd go to

Thanks mate might give it ago .

It's about 17 kms isn't it ? 

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

S

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks mate I will probably give it a go .

its about 17 kms out ?

I went out to that fad years ago on a distant cousins boat. We pulled up stripeys and dollies. I oculdnt believe my eyes when I seen the school of dollies lingering the fad. literally chuck a pilchard on a hook and bang!

I recon a lot of the problem with FADS is there is always 1 or 2 boats that have no respect or show no etiquette for anyone else which spoils it for everyone!

The same people also think they have priority when they get back to the ramp :thumbdown:

I got to the FAD off Port Stephens once & there was a guy spear fishing around it & stopping everyone from fishing it.

What a tosser!

It would be nice to have a FAD that close! The Port Stephens FAD is 12 nautical miles from the heads - about 22km. In my 4.5m open boat, that means I have to pick my days. I went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago, on a Wednesday, was passed by a couple of bigger, faster boats and I didn’t get there til about 8am but I was still only the 3rd boat there. Lures worked for me but the other boats were using livies. My slimies died in the tank. I think I’ve fixed my tank issue, so I look forward to trying live baits next time! I’m told the bigger dollies generally come on the livies. I’ve also heard that it worth (if you get there first I guess) getting right up on the FAD, throwing in some burley and churning up the water by revving your motor. 😉

29 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I got to the FAD off Port Stephens once & there was a guy spear fishing around it & stopping everyone from fishing it.

What a tosser!

When I was out there the other week, one of the boats got a few dollies on livies and after a couple of hours, a couple of them jumped in. No dive flag though. Fortunately, it didn’t seem to affect the bite and they took their turn in the drift with the other boats, so it didn’t faze me.

Edited by Berleyguts

Last year on a Sydney fad there was a boat in & out of gear holding in tight to the fad with a rod in hand while his mate was hanging onto a rope with a speargun & flag deployed, we trolled past in disbelief while 5 other boats had to stay wide of them

13 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Last year on a Sydney fad there was a boat in & out of gear holding in tight to the fad with a rod in hand while his mate was hanging onto a rope with a speargun & flag deployed, we trolled past in disbelief while 5 other boats had to stay wide of them

Unbelievable....the decent thing to do would be to take turns drifting just like everyone else.

The last time I encountered someone hogging the FAD I motored over and gave him a good ear bashing. Another boat close by did the same and he eventually got the point.

• 5 months later...