Landbased Rat King Whilst Chasing Bream Parramatta River

nbdshroom

G'day guys! I haven't had much opportunity to drop a report but I'm still here and I'm still alive lol.

56953288_IMAG0634(2).thumb.jpg.1b9d6ba818c7829138260f571ba430f6.jpg

I hit the Bay Run on the Parramatta River the other day to get some exercise and chase some bream just walking the banks flicking light lures.

I was using a 2-4kg rod, size 2000 reel spooled, 6lb braid and 6lb leader and the conditions were overcast. I was flicking mainly a Zman grubz in watermelon red on a 1/16oz jighead and after a nice bream caught close to shore, my lure was hammered by a rat king. It was a tense fight mostly because I couldn't decide where best to fight it as I was in close proximity to a boat on a mooring and a small groyne/rockwall that was jutting out parallel off the bank.

After a few blistering runs (as you would expect) I guided the fish into shore. I was elated and it was a bit of a nice surprise to cap off the session. I wasn't doing anything special in particular, just doing small twitches and hops with the lure in the pursuit of bream. Anyone that can cast a light lure could do this.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by nbdshroom
  • Like 8

Thanks for the kind words guys! i really appreciate it.

10 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

EPIC REPORT  PETE. That video is fantastic!!

The post was worth it just to see your retrieve technique!!

Haha thanks Richard and yep, just a simple double hop.

2 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hey Pete i know you explained it in the video but I don't understand why you didn't walk to the right to get the fish away from the boat

I didn't because although it appeared as though I had a lot more room on the right, I didn't actually have room. It's due to the 'fish eye' effect of the camera that everything is more open on the right side. 

By standing where I was, I could adjust the angle of the line around the boat/buoy. I thought that was a higher percentage play than being on the right and having it run left under the buoy (as you could see the fish ran against the wall on the right, suggesting it would do the same toward the left side if I was on the right). I hope that makes some sense!