Buying Garmin 5cv sounder from the US

Nick Harvey

Hey guys just a question re sounders

I am looking at buying a new sounder for my new boat build and have seen that sounders are like half the price in the US. Just wondering if anybody has recently brought a Garmin sounder from the US for use here in Australia?? Is it worth taking the risk or just cop close to double the price?

Any assistance would be appreciated

Regards

Nick 

9 minutes ago, raging said:

For half price I would. I think the CV does not have any inbuilt maps or ability to add maps so no region issues there.

Garmin Striker CV are without proper mapping, just Quickdraw Contours. Garmin Echomaps CV come with full mapping ability/maps. 5cv is a Striker model though.

If the delivered price is close/below  local second hand unit prices - I would probably buy brand new one from overseas.

• Thanks 1

I have bought plenty of gear from the States but not when its $0.68AU.

If there was an issue 99.9% sure you would need to send it back to the USA for warranty as that's where it was purchased from

I have rolled the dice before on a few high ticket items but the exchange rate was on or close parity so worth the risk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Check actual price in aus dollars   sounders are fine but gps units can be a problem if you cant change the base maps longitude n latitude  because theirs are set to north and west  digits and wont read ours in sth n east digits

That's not exactly right, it is a GLOBAL system, boats/ships travel all over the world with GPS systems without issue, however, some recreational units have some protection built in, it called "geofencing" and most brands will display an error message if operated outside the "fence" this message cannot be easily removed, but, since this is a sounder only, the issue might be depth in feet, and speed in MPH, not earth shattering, but to some, it is inconvenient, add to the current exchange rate, overseas prices are not that good right now.

• Thanks 1

Ok have you actually checked your numbers? best price i could find on line in  the USA was $299,(thats $439 Australian), best price i saw in Oz was $399-i think youve got something a bit A!@# about!

2 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

gps units can be a problem if you cant change the base maps longitude n latitude  because theirs are set to north and west  digits and wont read ours in sth n east digits

99.9% of GPS units have changeable formats.

My Garmin 64sc has 42 different position formats

Edited by kingie chaser

32 minutes ago, noelm said:

Was it purchased overseas?

Yes, on a shop USA

Only difference is it came with US 110am plug which & just bought an adapter for.

Didnt come with maps so I installed Australian Garmin topo maps via micro sd card.

Edited by kingie chaser

Its just a handheld for when out in the bush.

Sometimes.I can be a fair way from the vehicle so carry the GPS & also a PLB.

It stays in the one format, it just has the others in its memory depending what country your in.

The other cool feature is you can take a picture & it records the exact position, I can then send it to another unit via wifi.

If I hadn't already bought this I would have got one of the InReach models that is a topo gps & has inbuilt PLB feature but you do have to have a sim card & subscribe though you can do that for a short period.

I guess the alternative is a sat phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

A mate brought a unit back from hawai  and it took us ages to figure out setting it up for southern hemisphere  they may not all be the same   just saying from personal experience i wouldnt buy one

Should just be hddd.mmm.mmmm & WGS 84 shouldn't it?