Kayak fishing HELP!

Admis

Hey just picked up 2 nice 2.65m kayaks on sale and was thinking about taking them out in the ocean I know 2.65m is a bit small for the ocean does anyone know what I can do to them any mods/stabilises that I can add to make my trip better or is ocean fishing in that small of a kayak just a bad idea all round  

Edited by Admis

I wouldn't go straight to the ocean if you haven't had extensive experience with the yaks. 

You're right, 2.65m is short for "ocean" ventures (even on good days - boat wakes can cause you trouble).

My advice is to gather experience in calm waters such as bays - you can still catch a tonne of fish but with the benefit of:

* Being close to shore on case something goes wrong

* Still have exposure to boat wakes as well as general weather conditions

That way you can learn the limits of yourself and what a 10knt wind, 1.5m swell means for you on the water (extending that forecast for worse conditions if you venture out of the bay. ALSO, you can test your limits by slowly venturing further and further out.

Make sure you get all the safety gear you need and take care! Go out with an experienced yakker - I don't want to come off as fear mongering, but a lot can go wrong very quickly if you're not prepared.

Take care and enjoy! Make sure the other yakker also gets experience!

Yeah, get experience with the kayak first, learn its limit and also how to deal with wakes from boats, especially tugs! those things create massive wakes. 

Also you need to learn how to recover your kayak in the event it dose capsize it sounds simple but when you do unexpectedly flip you tend to sometimes panic when its your first time.

One of the benefits of kayaks is because they are small they can glide over swell and wakes head on nicely but do tend ride them when side one. I have done a few trips around the end of the oil wharf & the drums in botany bay recently - in some very choppy conditions & 40 km/hr wind to really test the kayak i have as i do plan on taking it offshore.

other issue i see, now i do not know what kayak you have - but most of the shorter kayaks are not as wide which means less stability 

Defiantly start small go in some calmer water and just be silly with it, testing limits etc then head out into more open water like bays where you do get some larger chop and some smaller swell and spend alot of time there before venturing out

Personally I wouldn't be heading offshore in a kayak that small. Recommended length is usually around 4 metres. I used to head out on a Tarpon 100 which is about 3 metres before I got a Profish 400 and now a Revo 13, and that felt small for offshore. As @anthman mentions above, it could just be the wake off a boat or some backwash, a small kayak will really feel it.