“Show me yours and I’ll show you mine - fishing spots”

Pickles

Never get tired of catching Kingies, but wanted a change of diet, so decided to target bream and Jewies. My mate Steve fishes Broken Bay area a lot, so we decided to play “show me yours (Broken Bay) and I’ll show you mine (Sydney Harbour).

We put in at Berrowra for a run to Broken Bay. I hadn’t used this ramp for 10 years and forgot what a lovely ramp and area it is (and Café with good coffee nearby). Only downside is - no wash down area like my usual spot at Roseville.

The bays on the way out sounded up bait fish - not sure if there is any squid in these bays (does anyone know - a PM would be great), I guess they would be arrow squid ?

We fished Patonga shores on sun up for small (but legal) bream, but only kept those over 40cm. We fished very light 8lb,  which was like spiders web compared to my usual Kingie gear, but it certainly did the job. I hooked and handed over to 10year old Jensen, who did an artful job of getting a 63 cm Jew to the side of the boat and backed up with a soapy still in nappies shortly after.

Tides were small, so minimal run - always good for bream. After being bitten off again and again in between bream, I swapped from wide gape 1/0s to long shank no 2s and started getting 25-45 cm tailor

We moved to Flint and Steel and then the middle grounds. I put out a slightly heavier line 15lb with ganged rig for bigger tailor with a slab of salted Bonito and was smoked after a long run with several head shakes. Hard to call, but Was probably a big Jew but more likely a shark (I’ve caught many Blue,, Mako and Hammerheads  in past years around Lion Island)

Steve and Hayden also we’re smoked after a long run twice, but on 8lb, so possibly snapper or Jews.

I had a “farewell” back at Baulkham hills so had to leave the water at 10 am, but it was turning into a stinking hot day, so didn’t mind getting into an air conditioned car. Lord, bring on winter.

A great day in Gods creation with mates and flathead, bream, tailor for dinner, but no jewfish (all released of course)

F8907CAA-5E15-4A99-8E1E-5782E00C41D9.jpeg

36911CA7-5B6C-490C-B09F-80E376C80020.jpeg

2E6E24F4-10CD-4521-ADC7-98AADE52322F.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
“Stretched the truth” Jew was 63 not 67
  • Like 7