Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to Gunnamatta Bay, fished the deeper water, though not as deep as further up river. The water was fairly murky after the rain, and I thought it would be worse up from Lilli Pilli into the deeper bays. Start of the run up tide so figured some slightly cleaner water may come into Gunnamatta. Well, it made very little difference.

I pulled out a couple of yakkas, so cut the fillets into strips. These accounted for the reddies, tailor and largest bream. A couple more tailor but just under sized. After a while the baits just disappeared without a bite, so I guessed jackets and moved.

I pumped some nippers at Maianbar flats. The water was murky and full of weed, kelp plants, sticks, palm fronds, branches and a tree trunk about 20 foot long. Be careful motoring in the dark. Tried a quick drift for one little whiting, then moved to the mouth of Burraneer Bay for one little bream.

Headed back to Gunnamatta Bay and drifted the flats for one bream. There was bugger all about, even the pickers were quiet. I moved to the edge of the channel at the mouth and fished along the edge of the weed beds. (I was only guessing I was there as I could not see 6 inches under the surface) I found a patch of bream on the one drift, and pulled out 6 before the nippers ran out. Also pulled out a snook that was sent back. All but 1 bream were males, ready for mating. The moon is full, and it is around this time that the bream move a short distance out into the ocean reefs to spawn, so I'm guessing they were waiting ready to move.

fish.jpeg_223.thumb.png.f24bc6a1b21b16d83523e0ec93b8876e.png

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frankS said:

I have an idea there is a part 2 to this report.

You always seem to manage a good catch. Time on the water and local knowledge is hard to beat.

Frank

No part 2 - just yet. Local knowledge does help after a big wet.

Edited by Yowie

1 hour ago, hookerbruce said:

That's a very good reddie for the river.

Shows the fish are still there just got to know where and give them a try. Good catch.  I'll not be out till Friday.

Bruce 

It's good to catch a nice reddie up river - 2 chunky fillets from a 3 pound fish instead of the fillets from the usual  just legal ones. The water is murky -  good luck on Friday.

9 hours ago, Restyle said:

Wow, thats a bloody ripper of a red for the bay. PB for you in the bay?

you manage to always find the fish - or do  they find you?

My biggest up river was 58cm a couple of years ago. I find them, and they find me.  :lol:

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jenno64 said:

That's a great session Yowie, especially the school of bream and the cracking red. I looked out and Botany Bay yesterday and had visions of Wonkerland!

Thank you. I picked Gunnamatta Bay as it is the closest to the ocean and was hoping for some clean water on the run up - this did not happen. I had 12 inches of rain at my place over the few days, some places had much more, so that rain has washed down everything and anything that was loose.

Happy with the larger red, it put up a good fight on a handline.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s a bit better of a reddy yowie! Good work of the rest too! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Happy to catch a bigger reddie now and then, a chunkier fillet and better than the just legals.