Freshwater eels - where?

Howdoweplaythis

11 hours ago, Houdini said:

Centennial park has heaps.

Very true but I would not get caught fishing in there as its almost as protected as a national park!

Being local I once participated in a sanctioned carp eradication program 10 years ago in the park which went for a few months one day a week & we were pulling out about 6 large tubs of carp per session from different ponds until someone hooked a bird & a greeny local saw this & complained & the whole thing got shut down very quickly.

Was a bit of fun while it lasted, some of those carp were huge & fought well on light gear!

1345238505_CENTENNIALPARKApril2010003.jpg.cb73d0a8347be0e4253b25e819f20429.jpg

1933389945_CENTENNIALPARKApril2010006.jpg.25e42eb3bdc68daf5f97d316bfc54221.jpg

But some of those eels in there are massive, seen some that were around 1.5+mtrs & you wouldn't be able to get your hands around them.

Interesting fact though, the eels in centennial park migrate back to New Caledonia to spawn, here is an article worth reading on it-

https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/stories/2019/journey-to-new-caledonia

If you could find out their path to botany bay then you might be in with a chance.

Also @Howdoweplaythis there are some wetlands & canal waterways around Rockdale that might be worth looking at if your close by.

Have a look on google maps/earth.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Interesting fact though, the eels in centennial park migrate back to New Caledonia to spawn, here is an article worth reading on it-

https://www.centennialparklands.com.au/stories/2019/journey-to-new-caledonia

I knew they migrated to the ocean, but didn't know they went all the way to New Caledonia. Also didn't know they were native.

When I was a kid {a long time ago} I used to have a local Greak guy let me know when he wanted some eels.  I would use a handline baited with poddie mullet and throw bait into tunnel under the road and would catch heaps.  That creak is now mostly underground but if you have a local creak with big pipes or low bridges etc I would give this a go.  Ron

• Like 1

Tunks Park is buit on tunnels that let the creek reach the ocean when I was a boy our friends used to walk up the tunnels at low tide (less than a foot deep and catch eels. They are also in the ponds further up the creek.