Cape York outfit

robthefisherman

G'day all

I'm heading off to Cape York for six weeks from mid July and was wondering what sort of outfit would be best to take up. I'm travelling by 4WD and will not have a boat apart from maybe going out with a guide when I'm in Weipa.  I'd love to tick a Barra of the bucket list so looking for something to throw lures around the river mouths and off the rocks around the beaches.

I'm thinking my 7' Shimano snapper raider with 4000 reel would be up to the task but having never chased fish in the top end I'd love some suggestions.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

I think you're on the right track with your choice for off the dirt. Don't forget the wharf in Weipa is a great spot & the locals there are really helpful & will give you lots more advice on where to go especially just up the coast on the estuaries. Lots of beaches too especially up north so go up the coast for the "Best Burger on the West Cape" and take a fly rod for the beach or your spin stick. Fished with Darren & Jan at DJ's Xtreme Fishing last year for a PB 107cm Barra in the estuary plus marlin & Sails outside so couldn't recommend him enough. You will have a ball. Don't forget the Horseradish, wasabi & Green Ginger!! Also make sure you have radio contact for the trip across as lots of trucks.

Sorry I forgot the technical stuff!! The barra was caught on a 6'6" Samaki Spin Stick with a Rovex reel & 20 pound mono, live mullet (Large - not poddy) & released. Same gear caught Mango Jacks, Queenfish etc etc. The Trevors at the wharf gave it a good run for its money - but thats what you want isn't it!!

On 3/10/2020 at 10:22 PM, Hoods said:

Hi Rob,

I think you're on the right track with your choice for off the dirt. Don't forget the wharf in Weipa is a great spot & the locals there are really helpful & will give you lots more advice on where to go especially just up the coast on the estuaries. Lots of beaches too especially up north so go up the coast for the "Best Burger on the West Cape" and take a fly rod for the beach or your spin stick. Fished with Darren & Jan at DJ's Xtreme Fishing last year for a PB 107cm Barra in the estuary plus marlin & Sails outside so couldn't recommend him enough. You will have a ball. Don't forget the Horseradish, wasabi & Green Ginger!! Also make sure you have radio contact for the trip across as lots of trucks.

Cheers Hoods

Mate a 107cm Barra I'd be beside myself, I'll be happy just to get one full stop. Fly fishing a bit outside my skill set but yeah I'll pack the spin gear.

I'm also taking my crab traps with me, hopefully I get a few and the lizards don't destroy them all. Pretty excited about chucking oysters up in Cape Melville.

Edited by robthefisherman

11 hours ago, Hoods said:

Sorry I forgot the technical stuff!! The barra was caught on a 6'6" Samaki Spin Stick with a Rovex reel & 20 pound mono, live mullet (Large - not poddy) & released. Same gear caught Mango Jacks, Queenfish etc etc. The Trevors at the wharf gave it a good run for its money - but thats what you want isn't it!!

Cheers again.   Yes that's exactly what you want 👍

Nice to see you back Rob! Hope you have a great trip.

Swordie and I are on our way up the coast to King Ash Bay. I am looking for a metery Barra too 👏😜
Will try at Rockhampton, Airlie Beach, Cairns also. 
Stewy suggests 30lb braid and 60lb leader and Gold Bombers. That rod and reel sounds fine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Enjoy the trip Rob, look forward to seeing some pics :biggrinthumb:

Thanks mate, there will be plenty of footage the trip is to film 8 4wd episodes for our social media channels as well as a heap of Pubs up there for our Country pubs series. I'll post a few links up once they go to air.

9 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Nice to see you back Rob! Hope you have a great trip.

Swordie and I are on our way up the coast to King Ash Bay. I am looking for a metery Barra too 👏😜
Will try at Rockhampton, Airlie Beach, Cairns also. 
Stewy suggests 30lb braid and 60lb leader and Gold Bombers. That rod and reel sounds fine.

Cheers Donna

Yeah it's been a while been flat out with producing 4wd touring videos and our Country Pub series. The fishing gear has been in the shed gathering dust but you can't head off to the Cape and not have a fish can ya?. Hopefully we'll get a few good ones to both make me happy and make great footage at the same time. Win Win.

Tell Stewy thanks for the tip.

I bought a Bone travel rod for my top end trips, it pulls down to a pack away size of just 23 inch long and is matched with a Shimano stradic 5000. My daughter recently took it on a 7 day liveaboard trip 100k out from the Whitsundays and used it on everything ( and yes she caught pretty much everything ). Ive used it on snapper and kings locally and been surprised what a versatile outfit it is. 

It doesn't look or feel like a four piece rod and I know from traveling 4x4 myself the advantage a rod which can brake down to fit in a small tube can be. They come with a neoprene roll up bag, mine cost $270 but I notice most places are a little higher than that. Bone Voyage fishing rods.

_JDP5331.jpg.f3629613790224b20f9da23c94a7e708.jpg_JDP5329.jpg.2f8eecdf332056336d450165e72c2608.jpgIMG_0832.jpg.ea4e5715eb23f0ceb7e48b3ae0595878.jpg

5 hours ago, JonD said:

I bought a Bone travel rod for my top end trips, it pulls down to a pack away size of just 23 inch long and is matched with a Shimano stradic 5000. My daughter recently took it on a 7 day liveaboard trip 100k out from the Whitsundays and used it on everything ( and yes she caught pretty much everything ). Ive used it on snapper and kings locally and been surprised what a versatile outfit it is. 

It doesn't look or feel like a four piece rod and I know from traveling 4x4 myself the advantage a rod which can brake down to fit in a small tube can be. They come with a neoprene roll up bag, mine cost $270 but I notice most places are a little higher than that. Bone Voyage fishing rods.

_JDP5331.jpg.f3629613790224b20f9da23c94a7e708.jpg_JDP5329.jpg.2f8eecdf332056336d450165e72c2608.jpgIMG_0832.jpg.ea4e5715eb23f0ceb7e48b3ae0595878.jpg

Cheers Mate

I'll look into that love the compact size.

• Like 1