Fishing Reel Problem

Will Wright

Hey guys, I have recently started noticing that on my shimano Sienna 2500, when reeling it in it is a bit gritty but still works but then when I stop winding and try to wind again, the reel handle struggles to get going round again. When this happens I have to use force and it implicates on my action when using plastics. Does anybody know what might be going on with this reel and what I could do to fix it. e. g. What part to take out? What part to oil? Etc... 

Thanks 

Hi Will,

Considering the Siennas can be bought for $50 I wouldn't even bother about taking it in for service. Still worth taking it apart yourself as a learning exercise. If you repair it you've saved $50 if you stuff it up then you have learned something.

Regards,

Derek

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will Wright said:

Hey guys, I have recently started noticing that on my shimano Sienna 2500, when reeling it in it is a bit gritty but still works but then when I stop winding and try to wind again, the reel handle struggles to get going round again. When this happens I have to use force and it implicates on my action when using plastics. Does anybody know what might be going on with this reel and what I could do to fix it. e. g. What part to take out? What part to oil? Etc... 

Thanks 

How old is it?

Even Senna's come with a 10 years warranty!

59 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

I think that warranty is for faulty parts and workmanship.

Not wear and tear and I believe it would be up to Shimano  determain that.

True, but whats actually wrong with it?

Once you start pulling reels apart you also void the warranty.

While I do agree with Derek, the OP sounds like he doesn't know to much about reels otherwise he wouldnt be asking the question so it could be worth getting it checked out by the Shimano service centre, if they find its not warrantable then just take it back. 

Its worth making a call & asking.

Many people who don't know much about reels often cant put them back together once pulled apart!

I have 2 of the same reels, they are pretty cheap but I still treat them with the same respect as my most expensive reels & expect to get a good lifespan out of them.

@Will Wright, how old is the reel?

Has the reel been dropped in sand?

Has the reel been washed down after use with the drag done up?

Had the reel been left out in the elements?

Could be something very simple, could be not?

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

True, but whats actually wrong with it?

Once you start pulling reels apart you also void the warranty.

While I do agree with Derek, the OP sounds like he doesn't know to much about reels otherwise he wouldnt be asking the question so it could be worth getting it checked out by the Shimano service centre, if they find its not warrantable then just take it back. 

Its worth making a call & asking.

Many people who don't know much about reels often cant put them back together once pulled apart!

I have 2 of the same reels, they are pretty cheap but I still treat them with the same respect as my most expensive reels & expect to get a good lifespan out of them.

@Will Wright, how old is the reel?

Has the reel been dropped in sand?

Has the reel been washed down after use with the drag done up?

Had the reel been left out in the elements?

Could be something very simple, could be not?

The  reel is about 6 months old and it has never been used in or near saltwater. The closest time it's "been exposed to the elements" was a couple of times I dunked it in freshwater by accident when dealing with fish while wading. Never been dropped in sand or dirt. Does anybody reckon it could be a grease/oil job on a certain part? Yeah it's just a bit rough while reeling and sometimes when pausing then starting again the reel handle seizes up (it is only the handle because I can move the actual spool with no issues) Thanks 

9 hours ago, DerekD said:

Hi Will,

Considering the Siennas can be bought for $50 I wouldn't even bother about taking it in for service. Still worth taking it apart yourself as a learning exercise. If you repair it you've saved $50 if you stuff it up then you have learned something.

Regards,

Derek

Thanks. I'm wondering if something needs greasing because I can move the actual spool round without issues but when I use the handle it sometimes seizes up. 

17 minutes ago, Will Wright said:

The  reel is about 6 months old and it has never been used in or near saltwater. The closest time it's "been exposed to the elements" was a couple of times I dunked it in freshwater by accident when dealing with fish while wading. Never been dropped in sand or dirt. Does anybody reckon it could be a grease/oil job on a certain part? Yeah it's just a bit rough while reeling and sometimes when pausing then starting again the reel handle seizes up (it is only the handle because I can move the actual spool with no issues) Thanks 

No idea, could be anything.

I would say being a cheaper model it wouldn't be overly water proofed, so just being dunked could affect the grease in the gearing??

Have you taken to spool off & tried to spin the handle to see if it could be the main shaft?

There are a lot of moving parts in a reel & its very difficult to diagnose an issue over the internet!

The 2 I have are 2 years old, one is in the cupboard still brand new.

The other I have been using for about 6 month now I it spins just like the new one.

My suggestion is to take it back to where you bought it OR take it to the Shimano service centre in Taren Point.

Being 6 months old its still under warranty.

1 hour ago, Will Wright said:

The closest time it's "been exposed to the elements" was a couple of times I dunked it in freshwater by accident when dealing with fish while wading.

Hi Will,

Because of the drag system (metal and felt or carbon washers in the top of the spool) turning the spool by hand is probably not a good indication of your problem. Unless you have the drag totally locked down the spool should turn but the resistance will vary depending on how tight the drag is. That you can't turn the handle implies it is an internal issue with bearings or gears.

When you say dunked are you talking completely submerged in water and more than once?? If that is a yes then I'd be pretty confident that is the root cause of the issue you are now seeing.

Regards,

Derek

1 hour ago, DerekD said:

Hi Will,

Because of the drag system (metal and felt or carbon washers in the top of the spool) turning the spool by hand is probably not a good indication of your problem. Unless you have the drag totally locked down the spool should turn but the resistance will vary depending on how tight the drag is. That you can't turn the handle implies it is an internal issue with bearings or gears.

When you say dunked are you talking completely submerged in water and more than once?? If that is a yes then I'd be pretty confident that is the root cause of the issue you are now seeing.

Regards,

Derek

I have dunked it twice in freshwater yes. 

8 minutes ago, Will Wright said:

have dunked it twice in freshwater yes

Egg beaters are not designed to be dunked in water at best drag knob tight as & a light spray of fresh water if been used in salt environment, the dunking would be your problem like @DerekD has mentioned 

Edited by 61 crusher
No changes

1 hour ago, 61 crusher said:

Hey guys just to let you know I took the reel apart, cleaned the grease and oil off it and re greased it, cleaned it all up, put it back togethor and magically the problem is know solved. Who knows what was wrong with it.

48 minutes ago, Will Wright said:

Hey guys just to let you know I took the reel apart, cleaned the grease and oil off it and re greased it, cleaned it all up, put it back togethor and magically the problem is know solved. Who knows what was wrong with it.

Good to see you worked it out 🙄

1 hour ago, Will Wright said:

Well done. I'd say the learning about the reel's internals and the satisfaction of fixing it would far outweigh the $50 it would have cost to replace it.

There might have been a burr or splinter on one of the gear teeth.

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Fg

5 hours ago, DerekD said:

Well done. I'd say the learning about the reel's internals and the satisfaction of fixing it would far outweigh the $50 it would have cost to replace it.

There might have been a burr or splinter on one of the gear teeth.

Guys bad news. I took it apart, cleaned and greased it and it was fixed and back working normally, I took it out this afternoon and after about half an hour the same problem started happening. Now I'm at home (3 hours later) and my reel seems to have magicalky fixed itself . Hmmmmm could it be to do with the line being wet?? 

16 hours ago, Will Wright said:

Guys bad news. I took it apart, cleaned and greased it and it was fixed and back working normally, I took it out this afternoon and after about half an hour the same problem started happening. Now I'm at home (3 hours later) and my reel seems to have magicalky fixed itself . Hmmmmm could it be to do with the line being wet?? 

I find turning the handle without a lure tied out VS in your hand will produce a different result.

A few things I would check out: all bearings free spin, the anti-reverse clutch is working (not gummy and spring is good) and then finally that there is grease inside the main gear housing as well as the part of the body that raises the pinion up and down inside the body.

After all that, if it still doesn't work, why not treat yourself to an upgrade 😎

Edited by anthman