Show us your best fish you ever caught and tell us why???

Scratchie

Four days before my wedding in Cairns, the wife to be and I went GT fishing out of Port Douglas. We had caught a few smaller fish through out the day and plenty of other reef species. We were mixing it up but throwing big poppers and stick baits for eleven hours I was finally rewarded on the last drift with this GT which we estimated to be 22-24kg caught in 4 meters of water.

20180829_153928_IMG_5555.JPG

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

Cracker of a fish Tyrone and from such skinny water. 👍

Cheers mate, was meant to be back for three days in August but it has been cancelled unfortunately with everything going on

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 5:24 PM, Scratchie said:

That is a cracking snapper off the rocks! My best is 76cm and went like a train! I was very nervous lifting it with 20lb leader! Top effort 👍👍👍

Thanks Scratchie. I nearly got washed in trying to lift it out. In the end I stuck my hand in its mouth to get it. Not a smart decision. But I have the fish 😁

I'm generally on the saltwater, but about 10 years ago I was a crazy keen fly fisherman. One afternoon up at Penstock Lagoon in the mountains of Tasmania, I waded out into dead still water and saw the tiny telltale ring of a fish rising, taking gnats off the water film (almost imperceptible). I managed to present my fly pretty well and the next thing we were on. It took a good ten minutes to turn him around and bring him up to my side on an extremely light leader. This was memorable. Caught quite a few others (all catch and release) but this moment was special, taught me a lot about thumpin' big trout in Tasmania.

dave's pics Robert2.jpg

dave's pics Robert3.jpg

Penstock Lagoon4.jpg

• Like 7

No photo, but my favourite catch was the result of sheer bloodyminded doggedness. Small to medium silver trevally (skipjack or skippies in sandgroper speak) we’re running in Fremantle harbour. I went down and caught a bag off the jetty one day, but could see much bigger fish flashing down deep. I made a plan, and stuck to it for the next 3 mornings. Same location, I’d turn up a bit before sunrise when the sardine boats came in, and buy a $2 bag of black market fresh ones from a deckie mate.

I made each one into identical 1cm cutlets, and chucked them all in with a hook buried in one.

Sardine after sardine, 3 days running, the pickers would pick, and the big silver flashes would flash, and I’d get doughnuts or a foul-hooked tiddler.

Finally one of my mystery silver ghosts fell for it, and on 4kg handline I landed a 3kg trevally. Bleeding fingers were more than compensated by the astonishment of nearby anglers and by the incredible meal I produced that night for my new girlfriend and her mum.

• Like 9

Hey Guys , loving the pics and stories so thought I'd share too..... 

Not my biggest impoundment barra but when you walk 10 mtrs from the tent to the boat to grab dunny paper and think ah well might as well have a cast , it's def pretty memorable. Was one of 28 models of the same size caught from the same spot  over 2 days one amazing Easter many moons ago.... 

FB_IMG_1587946184140.jpg

• Like 7

I came cross this newspaper cutting from the Manly Daily fishing reports when doing a big cleanup lately - how else do we occupy ourselves at the moment.

It's ancient history - I think around 1985 and not a fish I caught, but I was the driver, gaff man and supporter over the four hour battle. It was Steve's first marlin and the only one he's kept - all his subsequent captures were  tagged and released. I've  never managed one.

That year there were heaps of small blacks so we thought we'd have a try off the shelf east of Barrenjoey. The pic is pretty fuzzy - sorry about that, but at least my kids know I didn't make up the story! If it's too hard to read the detail it was a 140kg black marlin, which equates to 308 lb and caught on 30 lb line so I guess that meets the 'ten to one' goal. 

IMG_3666.jpg.e0ee46c9384671fb9f72e007f2dd29c6.jpg

• Like 4

My kids had an amazing week of bests last week, starting with my son who christened his new outfit with a big tailor, which sparked so much enthusiasm he topped that fish the next day. Then on the third day he landed several of his first ever sharks from the shore and a 92 cm tailor.

The day after that his sister knocked him of his perch with this thumping yellowfin of spin gear and surface lures. She describes three tuna chasing her lure that were pushed aside as this bigger fish slammed the lure. At times they needed to chase the fish or get spooled. The experienced game skipper didn't rate her chance of landing it but 30mins later she was dancing around the boat squealing with excitement ( just like my son on the beach really!!). 

Today in the wet cold weather she is out chasing bream with surface lures, one of her favorate pastimes.

_JDP1765.jpg.1d90838080c5c97f3d6b9050626c4851.jpg

IMG_4053.thumb.JPG.201149e8acc1e179c8e58af9a43386b7.JPG

• Like 9

Some really old photos of photos, so excuse the quality, Kingfish going 39kg cleaned, Jewfish 29kg, caught on a small handline, just outside Shellharbour harbour, and a 71kg Yellowfin, caught on Snapper gear at night, all good fish, but caught under difficult circumstances makes the pretty memorable, I have to find the picture of a 12.1kg Snapper I caught off Port Kembla.

807EE9E2-1D49-423F-8FC1-3D3A179D369E.jpeg

896F2732-8327-445D-A19F-3B729D7E8771.jpeg

FFDCB466-32DE-4B88-9BBE-ABEA6D042F5B.jpeg

• Like 6

Just looking at the Tuna picture, if you look close, you can see the old paper Furuno sounder (I still have it in my "stuff")

EA5792AC-3923-4BC6-81E9-094A4DB6C9A1.jpeg

Edited by noelm
Added picture