Crazy/dumb/strange things you have done

noelm

As a follow on from the "rats" thread, and see lots of us are bored at home, I thought a thread on strange or crazy things we have done or had happen to us might relieve some boredom, it probably doesn't have to be entirely boat or fishing related.

Edited by noelm
Typo

Just mulling over what incident to start with, probably an easy one to relate to first. My wife and I fished together for years, and our old Seafarer Viking had a plastic drum for a bait tank, with a water scoop for circulation while traveling, the pickup hose was attached to the tank with a standard "click" hose fitting, on a trip to the Banks one day, the boat seemed to be getting sluggish, I didn't think too much about it, and just kept going, in the end, our feet starting getting wet! The damn click fitting had come off and the whole time there was a full bore jet of water coming in, because of the natural trim, all the water stayed in the stern, and just got heavier, until it reached our feet, I can tell you, it took a long time to bail that out, our tiny bilge pump would have taken all day, I fitted a stop click fitting after that!

• Like 5

My mate and I were going fishing early one morning in his old VC, I was holding the boat while he parked the car, I could smell petrol which was pretty common with old 2 strokes, when he returned I mentioned the smell, he just said something like "that's OK" he turned the key and there was a blinding flash, a funny boooom kind of sound and an instant fire, he grabbed a plastic bucket, scooped up some water and hurled it at the flames, the handle broke and the bucket, complete with water just flew over the motor into the water, he tried to get the old fire extinguisher, but it was buried under piles of fishing gear, and the old steel mounting bracket had rusted away, and the extinguisher was tied to the remains with about 200lb line, he couldn't undo the line or break it, as we were still stunned, and no idea what to do, somehow the fire just went out, leaving a black melted mess of wires and parts. Back onto the trailer and home we went, to lick our wounds, I have another rather long story about a fire on my boat too, I think I might have posted it before.

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, noelm said:

My mate and I were going fishing early one morning in his old VC, I was holding the boat while he parked the car, I could smell petrol which was pretty common with old 2 strokes, when he returned I mentioned the smell, he just said something like "that's OK" he turned the key and there was a blinding flash, a funny boooom kind of sound and an instant fire, he grabbed a plastic bucket, scooped up some water and hurled it at the flames, the handle broke and the bucket, complete with water just flew over the motor into the water, he tried to get the old fire extinguisher, but it was buried under piles of fishing gear, and the old steel mounting bracket had rusted away, and the extinguisher was tied to the remains with about 200lb line, he couldn't undo the line or break it, as we were still stunned, and no idea what to do, somehow the fire just went out, leaving a black melted mess of wires and parts. Back onto the trailer and home we went, to lick our wounds, I have another rather long story about a fire on my boat too, I think I might have posted it before.

He probably didn't disconnect the fuel line after his last trip. It is a characteristic of some 2 strokes that sitting around in the heat fuel will leak out of the system and collect under the cowl.

Just thought of a real "interesting" time in my old Viking, we were fishing the Banks, and the current was roaring, a drift was about a minute at best, slow trolling was useless because you would end up going backwards to Jervis Bay. I got the brainwave to have a go at anchoring, back then we used to have a big polystyrene ball on the end of the rope, so when a big fish was hooked, you just tossed it over and followed the fish. Anyway, we motored up current, lowered the anchor as fast as I could, it hooked up instantly, but I couldn't hold the rope, I couldn't even get a turn around the bollard, the end of the rope came up, the big poly ball hit me between the legs (right in the marble bag) and the ball got hooked on the hatch gizmo, the rope tightened, water started coming through the hatch as I tried to unhook it, and thank Christ the anchor pulled out, scary as hell that was, didn't try anchoring again that day....

• Like 4

17 hours ago, noelm said:

Geez noelm 2 fires on boats??? Do you ever get anybody VOLUNTARILY wanting to go fishing with you? Have any trouble getting insurance? Cheers, bn

• Like 1

8 hours ago, noelm said:

Just thought of a real "interesting" time in my old Viking, we were fishing the Banks, and the current was roaring, a drift was about a minute at best, slow trolling was useless because you would end up going backwards to Jervis Bay. I got the brainwave to have a go at anchoring, back then we used to have a big polystyrene ball on the end of the rope, so when a big fish was hooked, you just tossed it over and followed the fish. Anyway, we motored up current, lowered the anchor as fast as I could, it hooked up instantly, but I couldn't hold the rope, I couldn't even get a turn around the bollard, the end of the rope came up, the big poly ball hit me between the legs (right in the marble bag) and the ball got hooked on the hatch gizmo, the rope tightened, water started coming through the hatch as I tried to unhook it, and thank Christ the anchor pulled out, scary as hell that was, didn't try anchoring again that day....

Does ur wife have any nicknames for you? Jonah, maybe? Lucky you're still with us I reckon. Entertaining stories noelm, keep them coming. bn

I have fished for a long time, and almost every day of the week, after work, sometimes before work, depending on the time of year, the laws of averages kind of go your way that funny stuff happens.

• Like 1