Grandkids fishing

noelm

Can't get much better, a grandson, early morning high tide, over cast sky, some bread for bait/burley, one hook, no sinkers or swivels, one bucket and a walk across the road to fish just after daylight, the end result, 3 nice Bream for tonight's dinner, then back home for breakfast.

76DEC98C-B271-4896-883F-798DB94F6A09.jpeg

• Like 18

We were just having breakfast and I started thinking about how simple fishing can be the best, were we fished is right next to a car park, and a public seat, you could fish off the seat if you really wanted too, tourists fish the area regularly with department store rods and reels, fancy coloured line and packets of frozen bait, big sinkers hurled out as far as possible, most just get snagged and lose interest after a while. I am one to try to help people fish, especially kids, nothing beats the smile when they catch something, even if it's a small fish, bait gathering can be more fun than fishing for kids, pumping Nippers, Beach Worming, catching crabs, all sorts of things, just keep it fun, and show them how natural baits look, this morning was just bread, some for burley, then the same for bait, once they (the fish) get interested, it's easy to catch a few, when we go Prawning, I like to point out what a Prawn looks like swimming, nice and straight, so, if using Prawns for bait, put them on the hook straight and natural, not black and curled up, kids are quick learners and nothing beats fishing, they love it, and it keeps them off the PlayStation.....

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 6

This is where we fished, but at low tide, you can just imagine how tourists get snagged, but, at high tide at daylight or dark, big Bream come right close in looking for crabs and so on, the guy fishing in the photo is fly fishing, he is there all the time, from about half tide coming in, he gets plenty of fish too, uses bread for burley and small bread flies, as the tide gets higher he gives it away and walks back in knee deep water over those rocks, when the tide is full, I fish!

03980096-0DC8-4C26-B750-9DB9FF5EC4E1.jpeg

Edited by noelm
Typo
  • Like 4

Nah, still plenty around, most give it away according to a set month, but, it's all water temp related, the way the water is we will get them for ages yet, bag limit would be easy.

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Noel. very talented young boy, I can see he has a great future ahead of him and with a teacher such as yourself he is in capable hands.

Frank

I sure hope so, he is mad keen, the others are interested, but not like him (Will) he was ready at 5 this morning, just to make sure we didn't miss daylight, he lost one too, so there was a few around. All the kids love crabbing, they all fight and carry on about who owns which trap, who gets to hook the float and who gets to pull it in, then which trap got the biggest, most, cleanest crab, then who can scoop the biggest Jellyfish in the net. We take some snacks, and they are all gone in two minutes, then everyone is starving, or about to die of thirst once all the drink is gone, yet no one is thirsty enough to drink water! go figure, school holidays are nearly here, so seeing how this virus business pans out will determine what we can do.

• Like 1

I am also blessed with a grandson who loves fishing !!!!!

We usually lure fish, but this day we had 2 others with us so we used worms. We got over 25 fish, not all legal, But they enjoyed it.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 3.35.44 pm.png

Edited by bluefin
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, bluefin said:

I am also blessed with a grandson who loves fishing !!!!!

We usually lure fish, but this day we had 2 others with us so we used worms. We got over 25 fish, not all legal, But they enjoyed it.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 3.35.44 pm.png

Whiting were made for Kids I reckon, fun to catch, nice looking and can be caught everywhere, and good to eat, kind of like crabs, kids love it

• Thanks 1

One thing I have learned about kids fishing trips is, make them for kids, keep it simple, teach them the right way, but don't force them, if they get bored, let the go and play in the sand, or fool around. When my kids were little, we used to go fishing in the boat in the ocean all the time, they would fish for about half an hour, then get bored, they would get lots of burley and lure small bait fish to the boat and "dip" which is just using a rod length of line and "dipping" it into the schools of bait, catching whatever was silly enough to bite, they would do that for an hour or so, then be ready to fish "properly" again. Kids love fishing, but it needs to be interesting for them.

• Like 4

Good catch for the young bloke.

My 2 y.o. grandson caught his first fish, a fat bream at 33cm. He was yelling because the bream was trying to pull him off the wharf, but he would not let go of the rod. 😆

• Like 1

Plenty of places to get Bream around this area, best tips, high tide at dark or sunrise, no sinker, peeled prawn or bread for bait, don't throw out too far, the south side of Barrack Point is another good spot.

Good post noelm. Lots of great memories for all of us. Good to read of others experiences with their grandkids. Fishing, in general, takes patience. Fishing with the grandkids especially so. It's probably best to fully commit to giving them your undivided attention rather than try joining in, at least until they get bored. Great fun when they catch something though. It suddenly becomes a "World Championship Event". All sorts of rules and regulations are created as they debate whose fish was biggest or best. I'm always reminded of a funny situation which occurred after I'd taken 2 of the grandkids fishing at the local creek.

James and Abi were visiting with our daughter Deb and they wanted to go fishing while my wife and Deb had some retail therapy. We caught a couple of Murray Cod and I showed them how we look after them and release them to fight another day...all good. Then Abi catches a rather large Carp and I explained to them that they are a pest and we don't put them back in the water. I put fresh shrimps on Abi's hook and took the Carp up the bank to despatch it. James was fascinated and wanted to kill the next one but I said no, I would do it. I explained to him (about 6 y/o) that they need to be killed quickly with a blow from the hammer. We caught several more Carp which were despatched too.

Later that year Deb and her husband took Abi and James to Coffs Harbour for a week. While Luke was playing golf, Deb told the kids that they were going to go fishing at which James pipes up " but Mummy we can't go fishing".

"Why not?" says Deb. 

"We didn't bring the hammer" says James.

Cheers, bn

• Like 2

Kids never forget, especially embarrassing things! I agree 100%, a kids fishing trip should be just that, teaching and pointing things out, not like school, but just simple life things that they will hopefully carry with them forever.