Fish-tongue eating parasites!

BabyShark

So I went for a quick flick this morning in the bay and caught a nice trevally. When I got it home I put it in the sink and noticed something in its mouth moving slowly. I pulled it out and saw another bigger one in its mouth. I googled it and found out they are a crustacean parasite that eat the fishes tongue, then continue to suck it's blood and it then replaces the fishes tongue. Ive never seen or heard of anything so disgusting, it's put me off eating the fish! Has anyone else came across them and nearly vomited? 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2013/02/28/tongue-eating-fish-parasites-never-cease-to-amaze/

20200512_132636.jpg

It’s commonly called a “doctor”. I’ve found them in silver trevally and yellowtail. Fairly common. My wife once caught a trevally with one in it and hasn’t eaten trevally since! I have. They don’t really affect the flesh as they’re basically feeding on what’s coming into the fish’s mouth. They can be a bit off putting though! 😂

• Haha 1

Hi BSDD as Baz says above, they are common in many species. When Luderick fishing, some times after hooking up, you lose the fish and find the doctor on your hook.

Showing guys how to use your finger to remove hooks from Luderick it always creeps people out when the doctor grabs your wet finger. Have seen them snuck into rock plates a few times by practical jokers 

Leatherjacket sometimes have them sticking out of their belly also.

Pretty much harmless to humans bar the creep factor

• Like 3

When I was fishing in Wellington and Kapiti Coast in NZ we saw these a lot. In all sorts of fish. I'm guessing the must like colder water as fishing in Wollongong I have not come across one yet. 

They were so common over there we really thought nothing of it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

It’s commonly called a “doctor”. I’ve found them in silver trevally and yellowtail. Fairly common. My wife once caught a trevally with one in it and hasn’t eaten trevally since! I have. They don’t really affect the flesh as they’re basically feeding on what’s coming into the fish’s mouth. They can be a bit off putting though! 😂

Thanks  @Berleyguts I'm with your wife, I'm not eating it! I wonder why its called a "doctor"? It's a parasite!! I still want to vomit!

20200512_132700.jpg

They have been called doctors since god knows when, as mentioned, common in Yellowtail and Trevally, but often found in other species too, Leatherjackets are probably the most common fish to have alien things in/on their body.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingie chaser said:

Throw it on a hook, bet it gets you into another fish 😉

I don't even want to look at it let along put it on a hook. I'm totally grossed out by them. If I knew this was in the fishes mouth, I would have thrown it back!

5 minutes ago, BabySharkDooDoo said:

I don't even want to look at it let along put it on a hook. I'm totally grossed out by them. If I knew this was in the fishes mouth, I would have thrown it back!

LOL

You do know many culture eat bugs for breakfast right 🤣

Bugs.jpg.6f3e1406a8417f57bcb468ace337a5f0.jpg

• Haha 1

Doctor parasite. Yakka, Trevallys. The reason some of you might find some in other spaces is because I think they transmit from within the schools. I have caught Yakkas from a school that almost all had doctors and then caught many in other spots where there are no doctors.