Terrigal mixed bag

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Headed out late this morning and missed first light :ranting2:

tried a few spots. Saw a good bust up - I had to cast a lure and work out what it was. Turned out to be Bonito.

caught the squid on a jig, bonito on a 20 gram metal and the rest on squid strips.

Happy to get two good sized meals for the family, tomorrow we will have sashimi with fried squid and the next night will be the trag, snapper and flathead beer battered :biggrinthumb:

9880FA66-96C8-4B2C-A0F7-F9084B41C6F7.jpeg

8BF9A567-5B4F-4078-A2E0-9F5AC49B7244.jpeg

Guest Guest123456789
3 hours ago, tobycb said:

Nice work Luke,

Sashimi the Bonnie or the Trev?

regards, Toby

Thanks Toby. Both make fantastic sashimi. You don’t get much meat off the trevs though - normally I release the smaller ones for that reason but with one bonito in the esky I kept these two.

to show you here is the total yield. The darker sashimi is the bonito.

BAB06E1C-5C30-4803-9E5F-F7BAE271A84D.jpeg

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, Yowie said:

A nice mixed bag, with a trag as a bonus. Good sized squid as well.

Thanks Yowie, I measured the hood it was 40cms!

i had to move around a lot - first few spots were barren.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

9 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks Toby. Both make fantastic sashimi. You don’t get much meat off the trevs though - normally I release the smaller ones for that reason but with one bonito in the esky I kept these two.

to show you here is the total yield. The darker sashimi is the bonito.

BAB06E1C-5C30-4803-9E5F-F7BAE271A84D.jpeg

That Bonito looks a nice colour!

Looks like you kill & bleed straight away & put on ice?? 

Guest Guest123456789
1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

That Bonito looks a nice colour!

Looks like you kill & bleed straight away & put on ice?? 

I’m going to sound like a wanker as I explain this but here goes. Brain spiked it, bled, ice slurry then at the cleaning table I gut it, knock the fillets off, remove the belly flap then wash down in salt water only (no fresh ever touches the fish) and put in a zip lock bag in an esky. Then home to the fridge then the next day gently remove the skin and bloodline. I use a razor sharp fillet knife. Pedantic I know but every step is important.

1 hour ago, flatheadluke said:

I’m going to sound like a wanker as I explain this but here goes. Brain spiked it, bled, ice slurry then at the cleaning table I gut it, knock the fillets off, remove the belly flap then wash down in salt water only (no fresh ever touches the fish) and put in a zip lock bag in an esky. Then home to the fridge then the next day gently remove the skin and bloodline. I use a razor sharp fillet knife. Pedantic I know but every step is important.

Doesn't sound wankerish to me at all.

The colour shows what your doing is working 👌

I cringe seeing people's catches just getting thrown into an esky with a few beers in it Or similar.

Even on some fishing shows you see hosts not looking after the catch there taking home well

• Like 3

Hey FHL,

The bottle of water you used with the small esky now makes sense as you never did use the freshwater taps at the cleaning tables!

Honestly, I thought it was a bit weird as most fishos there were rinsing and washing their catch with tap water.

Then I remembered when I was kid on camping down South at Kioloa Beach, We were always told and taught this method by the locals to only rinse your fillets with salt water.

However It was a lot easier there to rinse as the rusted fillet table was basically concreted into the rock and not accessible at the high tide mark!

The photo definitely shows the end result and quality of the fish.

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, Triple G said:

Hey FHL,

The bottle of water you used with the small esky now makes sense as you never did use the freshwater taps at the cleaning tables!

Honestly, I thought it was a bit weird as most fishos there were rinsing and washing their catch with tap water.

Then I remembered when I was kid on camping down South at Kioloa Beach, We were always told and taught this method by the locals to only rinse your fillets with salt water.

However It was a lot easier there to rinse as the rusted fillet table was basically concreted into the rock and not accessible at the high tide mark!

The photo definitely shows the end result and quality of the fish.

Thanks mate - were you part of kill tank’s crew? I can’t remember seeing you.

That little 5 litre esky from Kmart cost me $10 and it’s made a big difference. I use it for keeping bait cool and seperate from ice slurry. Then before the ramp I wash it out and half fill with sea water. The milk bottle I also fill with sea water. Basically the fillets go in the little esky then when I have enough for a portion that then goes in the zip lock bag. After a while the water needs changing and that’s what the 2 litre bottle of seawater is for. Here is a picture.

69C0BA88-8BF3-466D-90B1-ED56C1F04B78.thumb.jpeg.e416f6e50479d4d6937f1b5bada93d0e.jpeg

Im thinking of getting a cheap wooden chopping board, not just to protect my knife but also the static electricity from everyone working that metal table was pretty annoying. Also the fresh water was pooling a bit on the table so I’d like to keep it elevated. Then there is the hygiene factor of not wanting my fish touching pelican shit and other matter.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

Guest Guest123456789
19 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Great mixed bag, some good eating there !

I saw a local fishshop selling trag as jewfish the other day ! How do you eat the Trag?

Thanks Sam, I just fried the fillets skin on in butter. Bloody delicious.

4 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks mate - were you part of kill tank’s crew? I can’t remember seeing you.

That little 5 litre esky from Kmart cost me $10 and it’s made a big difference. I use it for keeping bait cool and seperate from ice slurry. Then before the ramp I wash it out and half fill with sea water. The milk bottle I also fill with sea water. Basically the fillets go in the little esky then when I have enough for a portion that then goes in the zip lock bag. After a while the water needs changing and that’s what the 2 litre bottle of seawater is for. Here is a picture.

69C0BA88-8BF3-466D-90B1-ED56C1F04B78.thumb.jpeg.e416f6e50479d4d6937f1b5bada93d0e.jpeg

Im thinking of getting a cheap wooden chopping board, not just to protect my knife but also the static electricity from everyone working that metal table was pretty annoying. Also the fresh water was pooling a bit on the table so I’d like to keep it elevated. Then there is the hygiene factor of not wanting my fish touching pelican shit and other matter.

No I was on lazy weekend away with no fishing, accept for stalking the cleaning table@!

I was there with my boys and wife "Greg - Triple G".

Hope it all makes sense now.