Unrestrained load in boat

mowie1

Mate was telling me he has hear of cars & boats  pulled over on the road for unrestrained load in the boat on the trailer. You cant have any object in the boat on the floor ie tackle box rods esky. Has anyone else hear of this. I can understand it the boat is packed to the gunwale with etc camping gear,chairs & floaty tube toys not tied down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mowie1 said:

Mate was telling me he has hear of cars & boats  pulled over on the road for unrestrained load in the boat on the trailer. You cant have any object in the boat on the floor ie tackle box rods esky. Has anyone else hear of this. I can understand it the boat is packed to the gunwale with etc camping gear,chairs & floaty tube toys not tied down.

Probably the same regulation which requires loads to be covered so nothing flies out and impinges on the safety of other vehicle users. Most likely it would be ok if the boat was tarped up. bn

• Like 1

Yes, it's pretty common knowledge, a trailer/Ute/boat are all subject to the same rules, never heard of anyone personally being booked, but have heard from someone who heard from someone....you know the story.

Haven’t heard of a boat being booked but having a family full of police I asked the question and 5 of 6 who were there said yep the boat is subject to the same rules.

i was also in a company Ute when pulled over by the cops and the driver received a caution for unrestrained load. The only thing in the back of the Ranger was a shovel which we moved into the back seat.

• Like 1

I also heard of a builder getting booked for two boots in the ute tray. I'm guessing that maybe he gobbed off and then got the fine, but thats all I heard. I am also aware of the rule, but have never heard of anyone getting booked with their boat. As BN said, a trap or maybe one of those cargo nets would be ok. Just another thing to do at the ramp I guess

This is one of those common sens approach areas. You will have some police who are very decent and reasonable and if there is a legitimate issue will make you aware of it and allow you to rectify it and then there are the over zealous fella's who just want to have a go of their fine books.

About 5 years ago at the Bermi Bluewater comp there was one such studious gentlemen who was fining boats for having rods in rod holders, not having the bungs in their boats with water running on the road etc etc. I believe the Bermi club and GFNSW wrote to the minister and the fines were overturned for most if not all

• Like 1

4 hours ago, New Signing said:

This is one of those common sens approach areas. You will have some police who are very decent and reasonable and if there is a legitimate issue will make you aware of it and allow you to rectify it and then there are the over zealous fella's who just want to have a go of their fine books.

About 5 years ago at the Bermi Bluewater comp there was one such studious gentlemen who was fining boats for having rods in rod holders, not having the bungs in their boats with water running on the road etc etc. I believe the Bermi club and GFNSW wrote to the minister and the fines were overturned for most if not all

Ive heard it still goes on from Bermi. Securing every little thing in a boat would be a nightmare, that would include tubs of sinkers and not even being able to lie rods on the floor which Ive been doing as certain police have booked people from Narooma for the rods in holders  as well as Bermi. Even having rods on lanyards doesn't cut it when it comes to the little fine book. Where were the police when Bermi and Narooma had someone fiddling with trailers over the weekend, one vessel came completely off the on the tow home. I also had mine disconected on Saturday and past the police with their speed camera not far up the road from the ramp, marine rescue issued a security warning on the radio to boaters over the matter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Have some fishing mates who live in Queensland and apparently up there its dynamite if you don't have your load (trailer, ute, boat) covered and secured. It is the law and they will and do issue fines regularly, even for things like gum boots in the back of a ute, rods on the floor of the boat etc etc. Can't remember what the fines are exactly, but quite substantial and it makes most people take notice and secure their load after one fine.

I'm not completely sure if its a law in NSW, but believe so, as it can be very dangerous and life threatening potentially if stuff flys out of your boat or trailer.

Remember when I bought my last boat 5 years ago from Wagga. It's a Stacer 399 Proline Angler and has those removable seats on a centre shaft that you can reposition in a couple of spots in the boat (same as Quinnie's). The day I picked it up I asked the guys at the dealer did the seats need to be secured for travelling, they said nah, they stay in their place well and have never heard of one coming free.

Well...on the trip home to Canberra guess what, one came out and as I watched in the rear view mirror of my car, it bounced off the road narrowly missing the car travelling behind me and coming to rest on the side of the road. If it have gone through the windscreen of the vehicle behind, could well have impaled the driver.

Ever since I have devised a system to secure them to the boat.

@mowie1 Police discretion will always be play a part in any decision on anything like this.

If your going to be travelling at 110kph on the freeway & they can see gear not being stowed correctly then they will have a problem with it.

Travel 5 minutes to the ramp from home in a 60kph zone & they could be more lenient & turn the other cheek.

There are also many boats that there is no way they are even going to be able to see what's in it so unless they are pulling you up for something unrelated & checking then they wouldn't have a clue.

At the end of the day its up to you to think about what could happen in a circumstance.  

We do a hazard analysis when you walk across the street so we don't get run over so I would expect someone with brains to think about what could happen if flying along a motorway with lose gear behind you. 

YET IT STILL HAPPENS

But rules are rules, getting pulled up & fined for not doing the right thing is better than killing someone, not even realizing it & getting a knock on the door from police saying that dash cam footage saw the item come out of your trailer/boat & cause the incident.

Hmmm got me thinking

Go to bunnings and get some shade cloth... put a few of those snap clips similar to my tonneau cover and then just snap into place.

Pain in the backside to do but better than coping 450 fine and 3 demerit points. However never seen anyone at ramp since i started boating in last 6 months cover their boats.

I guess all it takes is one cop having a bad day and he gets u

Edited by M1100S

I always put the fitted boat cover on whenever I go fishing these days. Many years ago I lost a fantastic landing net as I drove the bumpy track from the river to the main road. Only takes me a few minutes to fit it and I know that when I get home everything is still in the boat and ready for the next outing. They aren't cheap to buy if you don't already have one, but it is best to ensure the load is secure for the highway. bn

Been waiting for this!! It was only a matter of time. I phoned RMS as they were then about 18 months ago to clarify this issue - they had no idea (even though it is their Act). Told me to contact the Highway Patrol who police the Act - no answer. Spoke to a neighbour who is on the Highway Patrol. Still not clear if the boat is considered a trailer or not BUT "if you make an effort to cover/secure your load then you have something to argue with" and you have made an effort. If something flies out of your boat you're a shot duck. Even an empty plastic bag etc.

Personally I even tie my fuel tank to the boat. And those pesky kids keep leaving fishing lures and gear esp knives loose everywhere (they won't be told!!).

Seems we have been lucky to date and its time to "cover our load".

Tight lines all...

I have my boats clip on covers fitted when going to the ramp, but come home uncovered as it’s 4 streets and 50km/h 

if I am going further or faster like the hawkesbury then the covers are on there and back.

gives me peace of mind when doing 110km/h nothing is going to fly out.

good water proof clip on cover was cheap and takes only 5 mins to remove/ install by myself.

as I have a Bowrider it comes in two pieces (Bow Section & Screen to Transom) and was $1200.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, M1100S said:

Hmmm got me thinking

Go to bunnings and get some shade cloth... put a few of those snap clips similar to my tonneau cover and then just snap into place.

Pain in the backside to do but better than coping 450 fine and 3 demerit points. However never seen anyone at ramp since i started boating in last 6 months cover their boats.

I guess all it takes is one cop having a bad day and he gets u

Not really a cop having a bad day...more like one enforcing the law. bn