Chasing kings in Sydney - sharks instead

Pickles

Fellow Raider “Big Neil” took a trip to chase blackfish with Derek D and Kingies with me. We headed out early on Wednesday and worked hard to stock the live bait tank with Yakkas and squid and headed out to get some Kingies.

The weather was shocking with strong winds and big swell. We couldn’t get outside and had to stay in the harbour for a big donut - only one follow from a barely legal rat, but no Kingies landed.

Headed out again on Thursday and even though swell was still up, the wind had died back to 20 kn, still not pleasant, but fishable. The Kingies just didn’t want to come out to play BUT a 2 meter + Mako shark did and we had a ball for an hour and 50 minutes before the 80lb braid finally let go.

It was great to spend time with Neil who is a top bloke and confirms the comerarderie that this site encourages, just sorry we couldn’t get a decent Kingie, but this time of year with water temp around 17, is tough, waiting till it hits the magic 20 degree mark.

F8AE9E4F-7526-49AE-9FE9-046633CEC7E6.jpeg

• Like 15

Top work guys, love the pick of the Mako, would have been a blast I'm sure. Strange that we don't target sharks more often, good fun and at smaller sizes good eating.

From what I've read it seems Neill has had a rough go of it with the weather and fish on a few trips now to the coast, hope the luck improves mate!!

Cheers,

Rich

• Thanks 1

Haha Bob. Many thanks for the experience but it seems that Kingfish are sometimes as elusive as Murray Cod. Anyway, that's why it's called fishing...it doesn't work all the time. Maybe I'm a saltwater Jonah? Great fun seeing that Mako leaping into the air like an Olympic athlete. Many thanks to your good self and also Derek for squeezing me into your schedules. I'm happy to report that the 2 Aunts who are ill are improving but not entirely out of the woods yet. So the legal Kingfish hoodoo still hangs over me, but I ain't finished yet.

Cheers, Neil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anthman said:

Good company is always a plus, even if it's a kingie donut!

Did you see any bust-ups whilst working the harbour and if so, where abouts? I'm keen to chase some this weekend!

There were only a couple of bust ups (likely Salmon), one just INSIDE North Head and the other just around the corner (seaward) of North Head. Good luck, bn

• Like 1