North Sydney Ferry Wharf Blackfish

eladamrine

North Sydney Ferry Wharf

I went during the long weekend on Sunday from 3 to 5:30PM. Bottom of the tide. 

Fished for blackfish using a pencil float, 12lb braid main, 6lb flurocarbon leader, size 8 hook, 9 foot rod. 

Landbased

Been to this spot twice. Excellent for blackfish. Always lots of bites and good sized blackfish. No local seaweed / cabbage unfortunately (most on the wharf are too small). Very comfortable as it is a wharf. Just need to watch our for ferries. Have not seen much other types of fish being caught - just a leatherjacket in my two visits here. There is public parking nearby but it is usually quite busy. 

Caught 3 fish this time (1 was too small) and lost about the same amount as it is a fight to keep them from darting into the pylons.

Park nearby which also makes for excellent picnic spot / rest of the family to relax. 

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

Edited by eladamrine
  • Like 14

Nice catch and great report !

I haven’t fished there for probably 30yrs ! I was hunting leather jacket back then , i know of a few fishos on YouTube  who still fish there usually for trevalley and rat kings - a  YouTube search will find their channels .

• 3 years later...

Went to North Sydney Wharf for fishing yesterday,28 April 2024, and fishing is NOT permitted on the wharf anymore. 

There is a Fishing not permitted sign on the entrance to the wharf. It must have been put up recently.

1 hour ago, monster bite said:

Went to North Sydney Wharf for fishing yesterday,28 April 2024, and fishing is NOT permitted on the wharf anymore. 

There is a Fishing not permitted sign on the entrance to the wharf. It must have been put up recently.

Hi @monster bite

The photograph that was posted was of the old North Sydney wharf which I believe you are still allowed to fish from (at least from what remains of the old one). Several years ago as part of the upgrade of several wharves in Sydney harbour a new one was put in place next to the one you see in the photos. Yes you are correct in that you are not allowed to fish from the new floating wharf. The North Sydney wharf area was and still is a popular spot for a lot of people fishing probably due to the easy parking and amenities in the area but there was likely to be a lot of mess afterwards and probably the reason for banning it on that particular wharf. It is a shame you can't fish from the new wharf but probably understandable. When it was just put in and still fenced off for construction and was already sign posted as no fishing I've seen several people work their way around the fence to fish off the new one. Coincidentally, I've also seen police launches pull up at the same time and ping them for it.

Regards,

Derek

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 3

They demolished most of the old wharf bar the top landing area but its currently closed off for some reason. Still good fishing from the fence along the park all the way to the old submarine base.

• Like 1