Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to near Lilli Pilli. First fish out was a snook about 45cm, but sent it back. A few tailor turned up, but not much over size, however, I don't mind fresh tailor fillets. The first crab of the season is small, but welcome. A squid for entree and the bream took the yakka handline. Better than a couple of weeks ago when I caught nothing of value in the area.

I headed to Maianbar flats and pumped some nippers, waded the flats and pulled out a nice feed of whiting, some not too big, and a few throwbacks as well. Caught them in water less than knee deep. Once the tide rose a bit, the whiting disappeared so I suspect they moved into shallower water following the rising tide. I did not chase them as I had enough fish. My daughter and family turned up, so a good feed will be had by all.

fish.jpeg.272_files.jpg

Edited by Yowie
  • Like 14

I dont know anyone else that can crack the whiting code like you can for your estuary but yet still you use the same principles that I think anyone born in the 60's or 70's was taught by their father.

The end story is you just have to commit, search for live bait, pump for yabbies on the low tide & fish the incoming.

I think I have lost that from what my father originally taught me opting for trying to take the easy route of SP's & other lures.

Are they as effecive?? I doubt it.

One thing for sure is you have to put in the time & get to know your local waterway, sure you can get a few tips but you just have to do the yards to be on point.

Well done again Yowie :biggrinthumb:

6 hours ago, hookerbruce said:

Fantastic result after the weather over the weekend.

I'm looking at going early tomorrow morning, .but I don't expect the same result.

Will definitely have a try for crabs and pump some nippers, 

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I headed up the small channel that leads up to Fishermans Bay then turned left before getting too far up the channel, about half way. Anchored up, pumped some nippers and waded about. 2 weeks ago I did not get a hit from a whiting at all at Maianbar.

Edited by Yowie

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

I dont know anyone else that can crack the whiting code like you can for your estuary but yet still you use the same principles that I think anyone born in the 60's or 70's was taught by their father.

The end story is you just have to commit, search for live bait, pump for yabbies on the low tide & fish the incoming.

I think I have lost that from what my father originally taught me opting for trying to take the easy route of SP's & other lures.

Are they as effecive?? I doubt it.

One thing for sure is you have to put in the time & get to know your local waterway, sure you can get a few tips but you just have to do the yards to be on point.

Well done again Yowie :biggrinthumb:

Thank you. I was born in the 50's 😂.

I learnt as a kid fishing in Lake Illawarra near Windang that whiting would be found in shallow water, as well as deep water. I would wade out, pump some squirt worms and pull out whiting in knee deep water, while the boaties would only catch a few.

I tried soft plastic worms once or twice for whiting, no good, caught a bream and a big flattie, and that was it.

A couple of times in the early morning on sunrise, I have seen whiting swimming in water so shallow that their backs were out of the water. Cast out a nipper to land beside them, and the whiting have grabbed the nipper. Both legal fish. The whiting would probably be looking for soldier crabs too lazy to bury back home.

I have fished the Hacking for 60 or so years, 50 years from my first boat, so have learnt a few things. Observing fish and their feeding habits helps you to catch them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Thank you. I was born in the 50's 😂.

I learnt as a kid fishing in Lake Illawarra near Windang that whiting would be found in shallow water, as well as deep water. I would wade out, pump some squirt worms and pull out whiting in knee deep water, while the boaties would only catch a few.

I tried soft plastic worms once or twice for whiting, no good, caught a bream and a big flattie, and that was it.

A couple of times in the early morning on sunrise, I have seen whiting swimming in water so shallow that their backs were out of the water. Cast out a nipper to land beside them, and the whiting have grabbed the nipper. Both legal fish. The whiting would probably be looking for soldier crabs too lazy to bury back home.

I have fished the Hacking for 60 or so years, 50 years from my first boat, so have learnt a few things. Observing fish and their feeding habits helps you to catch them.

60 years fishing......thats a good life. 

Yowie

Another great all round session....I've just sold my Hobie and looking for a ti nny so hopefully I'll be out on the Hacking in the next few weeks expanding my fishing grounds.....no doubt I'll continue to follow your posts!

1 minute ago, jenno64 said:

Yowie

Another great all round session....I've just sold my Hobie and looking for a ti nny so hopefully I'll be out on the Hacking in the next few weeks expanding my fishing grounds.....no doubt I'll continue to follow your posts!

Might see you out there Rob. Less chance of being eaten in a boat than a kayak :074:.

I saw a kayak the day I was outside and he had an outrigger float on each side, which would give him very good stability in choppy water.

51 minutes ago, 61 crusher said:

Your family is lucky to have you around supplying them most of the time with a nice mixed assortment of tasty fresh fish, another nice bag Yowie 👍

Thank you. Some days the fish are there, other days not so many. Keep them happy. 😂

On 11/4/2020 at 7:35 PM, jenno64 said:

....I've just sold my Hobie and looking for a ti nny so hopefully I'll be out on the Hacking in the next few weeks expanding my fishing grounds.....no doubt I'll continue to follow your posts!

Just recently sold my Quintrex and have only been back from a few weeks in Tuncurry in the Hobie. Was going to buy a new one, but no stock and super expensive, so getting a 180 V1 drive today. Mine is the same as yours was - including sunroof and onboard toilet. Here is a pic of one of the girls caught and released in 2ft of water last week.  Report coming later.

girl.jpg

Good mixed bag Yowie. I too grew up around the Hacking and started fishing there when I was six. Seen many changes in depth and siltation. Worked on the water there for 8 yrs and used to pump nippers in Nth West Arm when I was in high school and sell 30 dozen to Macs bait bar every Saturday morning, for some pocket money. Been fishing the Port for some 63 yrs - time flies.

8 hours ago, Killer said:

Good mixed bag Yowie. I too grew up around the Hacking and started fishing there when I was six. Seen many changes in depth and siltation. Worked on the water there for 8 yrs and used to pump nippers in Nth West Arm when I was in high school and sell 30 dozen to Macs bait bar every Saturday morning, for some pocket money. Been fishing the Port for some 63 yrs - time flies.

Hope you had a licence for the nippers. 🤣 It was one way of making a bit of pocket money.

You are probably close to me in age - nearly old. :074:

A good flattie in the photo.

1 hour ago, Killer said:

No licence required back in the '60s :)

When I was a kid back then holidaying at Windang in the caravan park, I use to sell sand mullet to a bait shop. Pocket money for a cake and ice creams, and flavoured milk from the milko.

On 11/6/2020 at 6:50 AM, Killer said:

Just recently sold my Quintrex and have only been back from a few weeks in Tuncurry in the Hobie. Was going to buy a new one, but no stock and super expensive, so getting a 180 V1 drive today. Mine is the same as yours was - including sunroof and onboard toilet. Here is a pic of one of the girls caught and released in 2ft of water last week.  Report coming later.

girl.jpg

Looking forward to that post!