Heading South with my Bro

the skipper

Hi raiders ,.

Heading down to Sussex Inlet for a few days catch up with my little brother to spend some quality time out on the water chasing lizards in the shallows. Looking to try out my home made "Skutes"  to see if fish will have a crack at them.

Will report bhack.

Cheers 

The Skipper

11 hours ago, big Neil said:

They will definitely entice the Flathead with those. Did you do a variety of jighead weights by any chance? Good luck Skipper, I reckon you're on a winner. bn

Yes mate I have done quite a few now it tends to have become an obsession. I have used 1/8 and 1/4 jig heads with different hook sizes.

Took one to Broughton Island with Scratchie a few months ago and it cast really well but no joy so far.

Happy to send you a couple to try if you like I need feed back on how they go and what needs to change , how they cast etc.

Cheers

The Skipper

E88CDC85-BF29-4E08-A487-CF516E38F410.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, longy509 said:

My wife and i are heading down there on Tuesday night to flick a few plastics and troll a few lures for a couple of days.Hopefully the wind is nice and plays the game for us.I will let you know if we find the flatties

Thanks Longy I will be down there from Thursday. The weather forecast looks ok but the wind looks to be a bit dodgy anyway that is the south coast.

I fish mostly in the basin across the east side near Oaky Island where there is a nice drop off and fish the incoming along a channel around 4.2 mt depth also don't mind a run across to Wandandian Creek.

Tight lines

The Skipper 

3 hours ago, the skipper said:

Yes mate I have done quite a few now it tends to have become an obsession. I have used 1/8 and 1/4 jig heads with different hook sizes.

Took one to Broughton Island with Scratchie a few months ago and it cast really well but no joy so far.

Happy to send you a couple to try if you like I need feed back on how they go and what needs to change , how they cast etc.

Cheers

The Skipper

E88CDC85-BF29-4E08-A487-CF516E38F410.jpeg

They look really good and I would say that many species would be interested in them. Alas I am 95% a river (Murray Cod) angler and I doubt they would last long in the very snaggy areas which I fish. I think that Dirvin21 and DerekD would find them very useful and provide you with some good feedback. Send them a PM. I will be REALLY interested to hear how they go Skipper. I would imagine making them is quite therapeutic. Cheers and good luck with them. bn

On 11/17/2020 at 7:36 AM, the skipper said:

Thanks Longy I will be down there from Thursday. The weather forecast looks ok but the wind looks to be a bit dodgy anyway that is the south coast.

I fish mostly in the basin across the east side near Oaky Island where there is a nice drop off and fish the incoming along a channel around 4.2 mt depth also don't mind a run across to Wandandian Creek.

Tight lines

The Skipper 

Hey mate how did you end up going i tried to give you some early updates but for some reason every time i tried on my phone it kept saying content not available.We ended up have a pretty good couple of days getting the majority of flatties trolling and flicking plastics i didnt keep count but im guessing we got around 15 to 20 flatties with the best being 59 and 69.5cm also a few whiting/trevally/bream/squire and a stinger.

rsz_20201121_155122.jpg

rsz_20201121_150829.jpg

Edited by longy509
add

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

@the skipper, How did your weekend end up  with little brother & how did the skutes go??

Thanks mate was a great weekend windy as hell like the south coast is but we got out on Saturday with a lot of hits on the Skutes with a few just legal released to fight another day. Need to do some tweeking on my design but happy with the way they cast.

Best part was time with my brother on water together which we have not done for a very long time and the odd beer and bullshit session a night over the bbq.

Life is pretty good.

Cheers

The Skipper  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the skipper said:

Thanks mate was a great weekend windy as hell like the south coast is but we got out on Saturday with a lot of hits on the Skutes with a few just legal released to fight another day. Need to do some tweeking on my design but happy with the way they cast.

Best part was time with my brother on water together which we have not done for a very long time and the odd beer and bullshit session a night over the bbq.

Life is pretty good.

Cheers

The Skipper  

Glad that you got plenty of responses to your skutes @The Skipper but even better that you caught up and had a memorable time with your brother. Thanks for your post. bn

• Like 1

13 hours ago, the skipper said:

Life is pretty good.

Cheers

The Skipper  

Good to you got some quality time with the bro :thumbup:.

So I'm curious what kind of species you caught & on what colour?

Probably going to take a while to test & see some sort of pattern I'd say, could even change with time of day?

I just ordered a new vice & new materials so as soon as they arrive I'm going to start tying to.

• Like 1