Boat Trailer Winch gear reducer - for use with cordless electric drill

zmk1962

Hey Raiders,

I had previously posted that I had installed a 15:1 hand winch and used an old cordless drill on low speed to winch the heavy Haines up the trailer. As it turns out, the cordless drill approach was a hit and miss. It worked on less steep ramps but it also developed a problem where the winch gear teeth chattered and slipped as even on low speed the drill was too fast for the meshing to work. Could just be the quality of the winch. There are no chipped teeth and the teeth don't slip when manually wound, which told me it was a speed related issue.

Anyway, having a bit of time on my hands as the trailer was in for the 5yrs brake pad/disc/bearing work ... I had a look at the old winch , cleaned it up, slimmed it down and converted it to a 10:1  or 5:1  further reducer. This should now make light work for the drill to winch up the Haines.

Heres some pictures

image.png.d4ae1f1e2c0294f72a774da47f688edb.png

Reducer attached to the 15:1 spindle

image.png.6740103bf6b03356e8445d174e363963.png

Reducer attached to the 5:1 spindle

image.png.052da4159071be664da960e76fb6803d.png

So given the reducer has 10:1 and 5:1 ratios, I can now get 150:1, 75:1, 50:1, 25:1 ratios out of the reducer and winch combinations, then 15:1, 5:1: 1:1 out of the trailer winch.

Plenty to chose from to get the speed and torque that works best with the drill.

Cheers 

Zoran

BTW, heres the old post for reference:

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

That looks like a great idea Zoran. I have the same problem myself and changed to a 15:1 ratio winch but I still find it difficult to wind up my Stejcraft 1/2 cabin on steep ramps. I have a torn bicep muscle that doesn't help!

I still have the original 10:1 ratio winch (on which the strap tore) and would love to try something like your invention too.

I live nearby at Baulkham Hills. Would you mind PM'ing me you phone number or address so I could come around and have a closer look at how you linked the two winches?

Peter

Hey Peter 

the reducer is removable. Fits both the 15:1 and 5:1. 
I thought I had a torn rotator cuff but a cat scan has shown I have a frozen shoulder (adhesive encapsulitis) - so I’m exploring anything that helps with boating. 
PM sent. 
cheers Zoran 

Those style winches are very easy to add a starter motor to.

Ford starter approx $80 new

10 inch flex plate approx $45 from a wrecker.

motor bike brake light switch $8-$120 depending on where you choose to buy !!

6mm Steel plate approx $25

2 x 175Amp andersen connectors price depends on where you buy.

sufficient heavy wire to run + and - from your battery

battery switch  approx $10.00

misc mounting bolts and nuts

some drilling, filing and welding required

approx 4-6 hours depending on your skill level.

manual function is not affected

PM me if you want details.

Steep ramps will never be a problem again, neither will beach retrieves. heavy boats retrieved in around 45 sec max.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dmck said:

Those style winches are very easy to add a starter motor to.

Ford starter approx $80 new

10 inch flex plate approx $45 from a wrecker.

motor bike brake light switch $8-$120 depending on where you choose to buy !!

6mm Steel plate approx $25

2 x 175Amp andersen connectors price depends on where you buy.

sufficient heavy wire to run + and - from your battery

battery switch  approx $10.00

misc mounting bolts and nuts

some drilling, filing and welding required

approx 4-6 hours depending on your skill level.

manual function is not affected

PM me if you want details.

Steep ramps will never be a problem again, neither will beach retrieves. heavy boats retrieved in around 45 sec max.

Ryobi 18v cordless drill - in the workshop already. Ryobi battery already with drill. Starter motor $0.  Wiring, switches and connectors $0. Steel  plate $0. Re-purpose old winch 1 day (and a couple of beers). Fully demountable, fully transportable to another trailer - no exposure to weather and vandals. Manual function not affected. Retrieval rate to be confirmed - but lots of combinations to try. 

cheers Zoran 

Edited by zmk1962
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Itchin'faFishin' said:

Popped around and looked at Zoran's set up this morning. It's a very clever idea and one I'll kindly borrow. Thanks Zoran. You're a proper gentleman! Peter

Hey Peter, glad to help and hope it works for you as well. Let's keep in touch regarding that offshore sesh.

Cheers Zoran

Ok chaps, yesterday I had Dieter ( @61 crusher ) with me so we could have easily driven on, but instead I took the chance to test the Boat trailer winch gear reducer - Cordless Drill powered. I also tried to test worst case - bow just kissing first roller and winding full length of trailer.

Happy to report the reducer was a success.

This is the Haines compared to a Landcruiser - it's taken slightly to the rear so emphasises BARRYCUDA's big ar*e ... but you get a sense of the dimensions from the photo.

image.png.89d2effc9a587aa9d754289fbd669517.png

Thanks Dieter  for taking the below video.

I used an old Ryobi 2 speed drill (1800rpm and 480rpm) on Hi speed with a fully charged 5ah battery pack - at end of retrieve battery had 3 out of 4 bars.  The bearing has worn on this drill and it no longer drills accurate holes so now it's going to live in the boat trailer kit box.

Hope this helps someone else with shoulder/arm issues when driving on is not an option.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice work Zoran, looks a bit in principle to something like doing a double line 4x4 recovery where your speed is halved but your pulling power is doubled?

Exactly the same principle KC.

cheers Zoran 

A+ for knocking up that nifty portable reducer, considering the old ryobi has seen better days it did the job with ease & no strain on the drill 😎👍👍

Wouldn’t be surprised if you get a few fishraiders with larger rigs or physical issues enquiring about possibly getting one made up 

• Thanks 1

• zmk1962 changed the title to Boat Trailer Winch gear reducer - for use with cordless electric drill