Another bycatch -86 cm jewfish caught on half pilchard

wchh

At 86 cm, this is not a huge jewfish from the beach.  what worthy of noting is this one was again caught as a bycatch when I was hoping for a bream. The hook was a 1/0 suicide hook and bait was half a pilchard.  Caught on the corner of the mouth, almost straightened the hook.

last bycatch in a similar manner and time of the year and day was a meter plus jewfish  back in 2017.  (27/10/2017 to be precise). This one happened just before 8:00 pm last Wednesday 25/11/2020. Both from Wanda beach.

a friend fishing together took below photo.

2BB4DE9B-7350-4E30-8C35-CD1FB50F31C1.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Good work. Not huge as you said, but still a good size caught anywhere. Most fishos would like one that size.

Jewies can turn up anywhere you throw a bait out. I have caught a couple of 40/45 cm ones on a yakka hand line, little hook, small bait, feeding in the burley with the yakkas.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:08 PM, Yowie said:

Good work. Not huge as you said, but still a good size caught anywhere. Most fishos would like one that size.

Jewies can turn up anywhere you throw a bait out. I have caught a couple of 40/45 cm ones on a yakka hand line, little hook, small bait, feeding in the burley with the yakkas.

Too true. This fish came to the beach a lot earlier than one can expect, there were quite a few surfers in the water just outside the gutter I was fishing

On 11/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, Brendan Monks said:

Nice work!! 👏

I'd happily take a good size jew as by-catch! 😁

Me too!

This is the 2nd  jewfish I caught on pilchard from this beach when trying for bream. I also caught another two on a whole pilchard some years back from Mona vale beach. Those larger captures made me trust my servo pilchard more than anything else on the beach.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:36 PM, Welster said:

Give me that by catch any day.  Beach Jewies look awesome. 

Better part was I caught it when the sun was still up, unlike those other photos I had to take in darkness, this smaller fish looks a lot nicer in bright daylight

On 11/30/2020 at 9:15 PM, jenno64 said:

Great looking fish...very welcome bi-catch:)

This kind of by-catch made me lazy to make dedicated effort to chase beach Jewfish. A few years back, I often came home the other side of the midnight, now I would normally get home before 9:30 pm.  Average a two-hour session. 

@wchh great fish ! awesome color and appearance, oceanic caught fish always look more clean and appetizing than estuary caught fish !

@kingie chaser one of the most common ways to fish for bream is a half pillie lol. Especially in the surf where the small pickers and bait stealers will chew some of the bait away you want a bait thats big enough to withstanding some pickers but not too big as to deter a bite.

5 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Must be large bream off Wanda to be taking 1/2 pilchards 🤔

Regardless, nice jew :thumbup:

Hi mate:Yeh, big breams are my main target these days because my increased appetite for the steamed fish. I did catch quite a few 40+ breams off the sands lately, like the 44cm one in below photo caught on 8/11/20 from Wanda,  it made the well legal blue spotted look like a baby. but they are not there everyday, I have to agree 😀

C33284EC-897C-4815-A52A-477EF4C5D3AC.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wchh said:

Hi mate:Yeh, big breams are my main target these days because my increased appetite for the steamed fish. I did catch quite a few 40+ breams off the sands lately, like the 44cm one in below photo caught on 8/11/20 from Wanda,  it made the well legal blue spotted look like a baby. but they are not there everyday, I have to agree 😀

This one was also 44cm but from Maroubra 

D35837BF-A49F-4040-B29C-26CE149AA246.jpeg

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

@wchh great fish ! awesome color and appearance, oceanic caught fish always look more clean and appetizing than estuary caught fish !

@kingie chaser one of the most common ways to fish for bream is a half pillie lol. Especially in the surf where the small pickers and bait stealers will chew some of the bait away you want a bait thats big enough to withstanding some pickers but not too big as to deter a bite.

Thanks! I like the lighter coloured fish from the beaches, they look cleaner.

Half pillie is definitely not too big for large breams. I also use heavy leader up to 80 pound in the wash for less chance of tangling, this heavy leader may have deterred a few bites, but better than untangling the lines every cast. 

5 hours ago, wchh said:

Crickey, you either have small arms or that's a of a cracker bream 😂

Looking at the size & there growth rate must be around a 15 year old bream?

Well done 👍

Haven't been to wanda for ages, last time I was there got a nice salmon, much rather that jew bicatch for sure 

22 minutes ago, beachwormer said:

Hey mate that's a nice looking outfit you're fishing with there (and of course a great fish too). Would you mind telling me what rod and reel you're using?

The rod is a Kmart 12’ ft surf rod (sport fisher) I bought about 10 years back, I don’t know whether they still stock them nowadays. It came as a combo with an original price of $40. I bumped into them when they were on special price $19 and I bought three sets. The reel was not used as I bought a few Shakespeare Silencer full metal reel (3x 6000 size and 2x8000 size) as well. The one in the photo is a 6000 reel spooled with 25 pound Jarvis Walker mono line. 

All the things I use are budget stuff but I have not lost any fish due to outfit failures yet in my last 20 years of fishing. 😁

• Like 1