Kingie donut🙁🍩

Pickles

Went out with fellow Raider Matt to chase big kings. We filled up the live bait tank with Yakkas and squid (Matt caught all the squid) and then outside to drop livies and down rig the offshore reefs. It was the worst day in a long time as we boated, zero, not one, no - Kingies.

By the time we left the water at 11.am, none of the charter operators had landed a fish either, so consistently poor outcome, back at the ramp, no other fisho’s reported landing a kingie either.

The tide was good (low tide early and a run in), moon phase perfect (60% full and headed to a new moon on 15th, so a waning gibbous moon and setting at 11.30am)  and small swell .5m) , so it should have been a good day, but no-one told the fish.

The condition of the water was less than favourable though as the wind was a NE outside, after a southerly the day before, so dirty green water and temp had dropped from 23 the day before to 20 on Monday. There was also a SE current, so wind blowing one way and swell coming opposite, so sloppy and bumpy. Fortunately the wind didn’t pick up till 10.30, when it changed to a westerly ( “ Wind from the west, Bed is best”). So there were competing and contradictory conditions and AGAIN the B.O.M. Got the forecast wrong.

Matt and I never the less had a good time on the water.

Sorry no  pics as nothing to take a shot of😞

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

One of fishing's great mysteries is why the fish DON'T BITE when we know they are present and we are doing things that have worked previously. It's the one aspect of fishing that we have little or no control over. Probably the single condition that brings us back, time and time again, to keep trying to crack the code.

When dozens of anglers are trying similar things, in various locations, and nobody is successful...it can only be that the fish are not participating. We've all had this happen with the particular species that we're targeting. I guess it will remain one of life's questions that can't be answered.

Thoughts anyone?  bn

I'll take a bad day's fishing over a day at work anytime :biggrinthumb:

We all go out with high expectations but no matter how well prepped or planned a trip is at the end of the day catching a fish is always a bonus to me. 

FWIW I dont trust BOM anymore, Id much rather get a more accurate weather reading/forecast from Seabreeze.

Sure was a tough day out Pickles, but the tips i've taken away from it are invaluable!! I appreciate you taking the time and showing me how you go about it!! its a proven winning formula, we just had one of those days!

Bob you are one of the most genuine, nicest blokes i have had the pleasure of meeting! If there were more hrs in the day im sure you would use them to help more people! Looking forward to getting on the water with you again in the New Year!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, big Neil said:

One of fishing's great mysteries is why the fish DON'T BITE when we know they are present and we are doing things that have worked previously. It's the one aspect of fishing that we have little or no control over. Probably the single condition that brings us back, time and time again, to keep trying to crack the code.

When dozens of anglers are trying similar things, in various locations, and nobody is successful...it can only be that the fish are not participating. We've all had this happen with the particular species that we're targeting. I guess it will remain one of life's questions that can't be answered.

Thoughts anyone?  bn

Hey BN,

I reckon we humans have underestimated the complexity of fish behaviour.

When we reckon we have cracked the code yet come up empty on days when we should have got a few, is an indication we have not understood something, therefore our equation is not quite right.

I test software for a living and I analyse things in detail to understand how they work before I test a theory. The best I can do is keep a spreadsheet of my captures and data over the years and come up with "general" guidelines.

Kingies are also known for their fickle behaviour so when you combine that with a host of environmental variables, it's hard to come up with an exact answer. That's why the pros used to dropline for kings with a variety of baits on the lines to see what is being eaten on the day (if anything) and jig while waiting for the lines to give them an answer. Sometimes they would smash everything, sometimes only the jigs would get them, but never used live or dead squid.

• Thanks 1

If it's any consolation I went out on Tuesday, launched at Roseville, on the water by 5.45. Headed out to Foul grounds, drifted for a while, then anchored up as the drift was too fast, then the wind dropped so went back to drifting. Boated 1 Leather Jacket that I foul hooked. Caught a couple of undersized Snapper and a huge Sargent Baker but no other keepers.
Then headed to my favorite Fleathead drift, snagged a couple of keepers and a few throwbacks. Finished the day trolling a couple of lures from Manly round to Quarantine and not a single hit.
I would say that it was a quiet day on the water on Tuesday. 🙂